Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: This Sunday on Rockonteurs with Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt we chat to Mark Knopfler  (Read 1554 times)

Offlinenando_5994

• Local Hero
This Sunday on Rockonteurs with Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt we chat to Mark Knopfler about his new album 'One Deep River' out on April 12th, his introduction to the guitar and his time fronting one of the greatest acts of the 80s, Dire Straits and those huge decade defining hits, like Sultans of Swing... The podcast is out on Sunday on all podcast channels.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
Wow this is a really good episode.
More info on Uncle K 8)
What more could you want on a Sunday than 69 minutes of MK talking.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
I sometimes wonder how he manages it to not be bored to death himself by always the same stuff he literally must have told hundreds of times. Is he really thinking people don't detect it?

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I sometimes wonder how he manages it to not be bored to death himself by always the same stuff he literally must have told hundreds of times. Is he really thinking people don't detect it?

LE

That's a good question... Mark is a smart guy, one of the smartest guys I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot, and NO WAY he's not noticing that he's telling the same stories over and over again. I think some of the clues here might be:

1) He's "complete" as a person and it manifests itself in answering all questions the same and doing the music pretty much the same way too

2) He probably knows that die-hard fans are a small percentage of people watching and for the majority of people, it's a new info

3) Answering questions differently requires time and effort, and Mark is telling all the time how he's careful about time

4) The interviewers are usually not die-hards, not prepared properly anyway, or too "official" like Mr Paul Sexton

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Ok he answered the question why he is not touring anymore. He wants to stay home and write more. It seems he doesn't think it's optimal to write songs while on tour. So One Deep River will be a first proof if the quality of his writing has become better by not touring.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Ok he answered the question why he is not touring anymore. He wants to stay home and write more. It seems he doesn't think it's optimal to write songs while on tour. So One Deep River will be a first proof if the quality of his writing has become better by not touring.

LE
But we all know that's not true. He has been writing songs while on the road all his life. Many of his songs are inspired by touring (ex.Telegraph Road, Rudiger, So Far Away, Silver Eagle, etc.)
It can't be that only now at 74 he realized he wants to write at home

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
It also means we won’t get geographical masterpieces like Lights of Taormina.
It’s not my favourite song by any stretch but how he got so many rhymes with Taormina is incredible.

However, he does also write when on holiday. I believe The Trawlerman’s Song was written while he was on holiday in Capetown.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
Is it worth the time? If it's up to the standard of the Twiggy interview, count me in, but if it's almost all new info, then not so much.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
Imho it is worth the time. The interview is nice because a) MK is in a good mood and quite talkative and b) the interviewers are fellow musicians, hence they ask questions from a different angle. I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 08:32:19 PM by stratmad »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
Imho it is worth the. The interview is nice because a) MK is in a good mood and quite talkative and b) the interviewers are fellow musicians, hence they ask questions from a different angle. I really enjoyed it.

:thumbsup

Will give it go. I remember I liked the one with John Illsley. The interviewers were funny and asked interesting questions.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
9 minutes in. Oh, yeah. Definitely worth it, much due to the interviewers, but Mark is in good form too.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
It's amazing how much depends on the atmosphere, the "chemistry", and on the right questions. With MK this seems to be the case more than with some other artists.
Sometimes I wonder what questions I would ask him, if I ever had the chance to interview him. Maybe this could be worth a new thread: What questions would you ask MK in an interview?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
Totally! These interviewers know how to ask the right questions, and they are able to make even the extremely well-known stories become interesting topics of conversation.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Like Twiggy, this was very nice.

Seems MK is much more comfortable speaking to fellow professionals than journalists or broadcasters.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
It's amazing how much depends on the atmosphere, the "chemistry", and on the right questions. With MK this seems to be the case more than with some other artists.
Sometimes I wonder what questions I would ask him, if I ever had the chance to interview him. Maybe this could be worth a new thread: What questions would you ask MK in an interview?

I think I had a thread exactly about this recently, it wasn't popular though: https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=8351.msg167362#msg167362

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.