Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: BIA anniversary - where do you rank it?  (Read 2713 times)

Offlineshortfin

• Local Hero
Re: BIA anniversary - where do you rank it?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 10:20:39 AM »
May 13th is the 39th anniversary of Brothers in Arms (?)

Where do you rank it a) among DS albums, b) among the entire MK oeuvre, c) rock history in general,
d) favorite song, e) least favorite song, f) most underrated song, g) what makes it beautiful, important, unique etc (and/or how to suggest it to a youngster, "you should give it a try becoz...")

a) 3rd, after Alchemy and Making Movies
b) 3rd, after Alchemy and Making Movies
c) It has its place in rock history, and certainly not because I say so
d) brothers in arms
e) one world
f) I don't know if it is underrated, but live Ride Across The River acquired a different 'weight'
g) is the quintessence of a rock album, which can become very pop and reach everyone, but without giving up good songwrting and musical quality. I can understand that for someone who has been following DS/MK for decades can have enough of MFN or WOL, but a kid who listens to well-played music (rock, but not only) and not rappers singing on recorded bases, can't help but appreciate this album
www.direstraitsbootlegs.it
I was there: *Dire Straits: Ferrara, 6.7.1983 *Mark Knopfler: Pesaro, 7.6.2008 / Firenze, 11.11.2011 / Piazzola sul Brenta, 12.7.2013 / Milano, 28.5.2015 / Cattolica 18.07.2019 / Verona 22.07.2019

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 04:17:38 PM »
IMO, a rather boring album whose success was massively amplified because the historic circumnstances on the era it was born on.I don't like it's freezer-cold level production, pretty much the same problem that OES but I guess it's a stylistic preference of MK. That's not to say that the songs worked incredibly well  live, but this is a common DS thing.

In my rank it would be lower tier DS, no doubts at all.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 06:46:25 PM »
IMO, a rather boring album whose success was massively amplified because the historic circumnstances on the era it was born on.I don't like it's freezer-cold level production, pretty much the same problem that OES but I guess it's a stylistic preference of MK. That's not to say that the songs worked incredibly well  live, but this is a common DS thing.

In my rank it would be lower tier DS, no doubts at all.

I think that each DS album (studio ones) has their own flavor in terms of sound, stylish and production. However, most of them, i agree that have this "cold level production"

In my point of view, there are 2 DS albums that escapes from this "cold ambience". The first one and Making Movies (probably because these 2 have a less artistic decisions by MK).

But i understand that the 'message' that Mark wants to pass have a moderate intensity since the begining. Wich reflects on the production.

Based on that, BIA is a amazing album.
Ranked high.

- Dire Straits
- Love Over Gold
- Brothers In Arms
- Making Movies
- Communique
- On Every Street

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 07:30:01 PM »
communiqe
dire straits
making movies
love over gold
brothers in arms
on every street

brothers in arms has a diffrent sound. not represent DS sound imho. without David and Pick or maybe Mark's choices DS never sounds like first 3 album again.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 07:39:39 PM »
...not represent DS sound imho

Based on that, DS over at 1980.
Which makes sense but it was never really a band, it was Mark's band.
Mark's solo career has much more a sense of band then the DS days.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 08:04:19 PM »
"Mark's solo career has much more a sense of band then the DS days"

Interesting thought.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 08:11:01 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineprivinvest

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2024, 10:10:10 PM »
It is the album that gave him more fame, fans, money, recognition, critical acclaim than any other DS/solo one. It made DS and him “classic,” “all time great”, “household name” etc.

If the DS had disbanded before BIA,  some, many, (most?) of us could pass hım by. No? Not that the previous albums are not good (they are) but we may not have given them the “chance” they deserve. A small question: Who among us knew the DS/MK before BIA? For whom they were the (most) favorite musicians? For the younger generation, I wonder, which DS album was the entry gate if not BIA?

Yes it sometimes sound a little over-produced maybe, and it lacks the rawness (and spontaneity?) of the first two albums. But so what? ıt's not.artificial, is it? Or done mainly with an eye to make money? I don't know anything about sound technology etc, but i can see it exploited the new tech possibilities, a new medium (CD), so it sounds different but do we prefer he made 5 more MMs?

I rank it a) a top 3 DS album (with DS and LOG, and Alchemy of course), b) among the solo albums only maybe GH and RD can approach it (them), c) in rock history only first 4 LZ albums, and 70s PF can rival it imho, d) fav song BIA, obviously e) least fav song One World, but after some hiatus (?) I’ve listened it recently and think it’s better than almost anything from the recent album, f) most underrated song TMTS/RAR g) what makes it beautiful, important, unique etc? Difficult question. So many moments, passages that correspond to parts of my brain or soul or whatever. Though it may seem to me that way because my mind shaped by it after so much time with it . So maybe it’s the egg chicken thing. h) How to recommend it to a youngster? ”(One of) the most complete/accomplished (?) album(s) from the best rock musician ever! it will open you a lot of doors, follow them and you’ll thank me long after i’m gone”

One last thing: Imagine there was no MK in your life, you’ve never heard him, do not know him. Imagine he’s just a name for you at most. Well perhaps for half of us this may be the case without BIA. So hug it, kiss it, caress it if only for that reason

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2024, 10:11:51 PM »
"Mark's solo career has much more a sense of band then the DS days"

Interesting thought.

Can't really argue with that, but does it really matter?  Apart from Mark, John was the only original member come the end during the Straits days.  With the solo career we had  Richard, Guy and Glenn with a lot fewer in/outgoings.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2024, 10:29:09 PM »
I read the meaning of what Rolo wrote differently. In the days of the DS BAND Mark was at the forefront and "in charge" Whereas in his solo career this has changed somewhat.
Clear as the day

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2024, 12:27:23 AM »
I read the meaning of what Rolo wrote differently. In the days of the DS BAND Mark was at the forefront and "in charge" Whereas in his solo career this has changed somewhat.

Yes, that's true, surprisingly! Right from the start of his solo career he has relied much more on the band, and they seem to be a much tighter unit, Richard, Guy, Glenn and Jim as the core band and all the others have just blended in over the years. They obviously all got on pretty well from the start, and they're all awesome players, so he can relax a bit more, give them more room for creativity.
With DS, and a lot of other bands, I've always had the feeling that players were somehow "competing" for solos, but with this band, that's never the case, they just play together. Of course, MK is still in charge, but maybe he doesn't feel that he needs to control things, because they just happen naturally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2024, 12:39:06 AM »

Yes, that's true, surprisingly! Right from the start of his solo career he has relied much more on the band, and they seem to be a much tighter unit, Richard, Guy, Glenn and Jim as the core band and all the others have just blended in over the years. They obviously all got on pretty well from the start, and they're all awesome players, so he can relax a bit more, give them more room for creativity.
With DS, and a lot of other bands, I've always had the feeling that players were somehow "competing" for solos, but with this band, that's never the case, they just play together. Of course, MK is still in charge, but maybe he doesn't feel that he needs to control things, because they just happen naturally.

Exactly!
Clear as the day

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2024, 12:38:03 PM »

Yes. Exacly about it.
thx

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2024, 10:14:35 AM »
BIA is in my book the best DS album ever. Its beyond a classic, its a masterprice. Like Jackson had his Thriller, Springsteen his Born In.... MK has his BIA.
Soundtrack of my youth.

Brothers from Mandela is still the most iconic performance ever. 
Cheers Peter

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2024, 02:31:40 PM »
BIA gets a bit of a hard time in my eyes. Its slated and derided by many because of its huge success and the Yuppie demographic it became associated with.

When I listen to the album I hear innovation. I hear a band using cutting edge technology to stretch themselves. I hear an album which exists sonically completely in a place of its own, try and find an album that sounds anything like BIA.

Is is perfect - Far from.
Is it the best DS album - Probably not, LOG and MM are 'epics'.
But it does deserve evaluation based purely on its own merits not the cultural phenomenon it became.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2024, 08:10:41 PM »
BIA- Best DS record? No
BIA- Best DS song? definately
Love will find a Way

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.