Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler/Clapton relationship  (Read 1890 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Knopfler/Clapton relationship
« on: May 27, 2024, 02:52:33 PM »
I was wondering where the relationship between Mark and Eric Clapton was at these days. I know that Mark (and Guy) often mentioned what I lovely chap Eric seems to be, and Mark mentioned him in relation with the Local Hero project recently. But did Mark (or Guy) ever comment on the trouble Clapton gets himself into again and again with his political remarks?

I'm just wondering because Mark always seems to be such a reasonable person in every respect, and his songs leave no room for doubt about where he stands on the most important political matters. That's why I can't imagine him not having a problem with some of Clapton's comments.

I've listened to Clapton being interviewed on the podcast below yesterday, and could hardly believe my ears. He went as far as to defend Vladimir Putin, and mentioned that one of his "closest friends" (Bernie Ecclestone, I believe) said he would "take a bullet for him" (Putin). There was other outrageous stuff in that interview, but I actually had to rewind and listen again to that particular part, it was just ... unbelievably ignorant.

If anyone knows whether Mark himself or someone close to him ever reacted to such comments, I'd be interested to know.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 03:08:20 PM by Rail King »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Knopfler/Clapton relationship
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 03:14:32 PM »
Clapton has cancelled his shows in Russia, following Ukraine's invasion. So he's probably not that much of a putinist.

Interesting topic though, Mark is not politically correct, but yes, he is quite moderate and mainstream, compared to Clapton.

Yesterday was my first ever Clapton concert, in Paris. What I can ensure you is they the audience went hysterical, they didn't care at all about politics, and cared much about the amazing guitar and even voice skills of this 79-year old! In much better shape than Mark... Mark who was missed, would have loved to hear him on Badge, like in 1988...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 05:50:21 PM »
I guess we all have friends with “different” views, I usually just try not to bring these things up and focus on common ground, maybe MK is the same.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 05:56:06 PM »
You have to really listen carefully here.
He is supporting Palestine, so far so good.
About Putin: he's not saying that he or his friend are supporting Putin now, but is referring to the past. Some 10-15 years ago, western investors doubted that Putin was trustworthy, and Ecclestone (or whoever) said "I'd take a bullet for him", meaning "he'll stick to what he says" and it was safe to invest a lot of money in Russia. It's not about literally taking a bullet, it's just an idiom.

The stuff about covid and kiwis sounds confusing to me, and I just don't like an artist who says "I love you" to fans in a show and then goes on to make jokes about those people. Not very professional imho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 08:53:08 PM »
Clapton has cancelled his shows in Russia, following Ukraine's invasion. So he's probably not that much of a putinist.

Well, he actually says in that same video interview that he didn't cancel the Russian shows because of Putin and the war, but because the hotels in Moscow were full due to some fashion show. He then goes on to say that he would like to go to Moscow soon and play there with Roger Waters. So much for that. Sorry to say so, but he's totally deranged.

But yes, Dusty, we all have people like that around us (some of which I still have affection for in spite of their views). I'm not sure if "don't bring up politics" is the right strategy, though. You hear that a lot these days: no politics at work, no politics in sports, no politics at school, no politics over dinner ... – I wonder where people think politics should be discussed. That's the very idea of democracy and a republic ("res publica", latin for "the public matter"), to discuss politics out in the open, with each and everyone.

That said, I'm aware that this forum is about Mark Knopfler and his music, so no need to take this further. I'd just be interested if anyone hears about any comments from Mark or his camp about Eric's (and Van's, or Roger Waters') views. I vaguely remember someone asking Guy Fletcher about it during the pandemic, and think he said something like "Yeah, very sad". It would be truly interesting to know what they make of it. It is sad.

Stratmad, the thing about Clapton making fun of his fans I have missed. If you have a link, thank you.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 08:59:34 PM »
It's around 2:10-2:20. I don't exactly know who is referring to when he says "how pretentious". Is it the fan, or Jackson, or himself?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 09:05:17 PM »
"I vaguely remember someone asking Guy Fletcher about it during the pandemic, and think he said something like "Yeah, very sad".

I remembered that too. Eric Clapton went through vaccines very badly.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 09:50:36 PM »
It's around 2:10-2:20. I don't exactly know who is referring to when he says "how pretentious". Is it the fan, or Jackson, or himself?

He was meaning Jackson.

I’ve only watched half of this interview but it’s wild. He’s gone full foil hat.

Poor Roger Waters, boo hoo.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 11:16:48 PM »
He’s gone full foil hat.

He really did. I wonder how much attention this video will get. In a sad way, it's almost a sensation. When the interviewer (a YouTuber I've watched before, but never really liked) says that he had been asked why such a legend would even talk to him, and explains that he might have been the only one willing to listen to Clapton, I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

I was never a Clapton fan, but I obviously have huge respect for his musicianship. I would love to understand the psychology behind such derailments. But alas, as Mark sings in one of his new songs, "Who knows why/I wish I knew/We feel the things we feel/Do the things we do ..."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 08:55:10 AM »

Well, he actually says in that same video interview that he didn't cancel the Russian shows because of Putin and the war, but because the hotels in Moscow were full due to some fashion show. He then goes on to say that he would like to go to Moscow soon and play there with Roger Waters. So much for that. Sorry to say so, but he's totally deranged.

But yes, Dusty, we all have people like that around us (some of which I still have affection for in spite of their views). I'm not sure if "don't bring up politics" is the right strategy, though. You hear that a lot these days: no politics at work, no politics in sports, no politics at school, no politics over dinner ... – I wonder where people think politics should be discussed. That's the very idea of democracy and a republic ("res publica", latin for "the public matter"), to discuss politics out in the open, with each and everyone.

That said, I'm aware that this forum is about Mark Knopfler and his music, so no need to take this further. I'd just be interested if anyone hears about any comments from Mark or his camp about Eric's (and Van's, or Roger Waters') views. I vaguely remember someone asking Guy Fletcher about it during the pandemic, and think he said something like "Yeah, very sad". It would be truly interesting to know what they make of it. It is sad.

Stratmad, the thing about Clapton making fun of his fans I have missed. If you have a link, thank you.
GREAT POST.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2024, 08:58:13 AM »
He’s gone full foil hat.

He really did. I wonder how much attention this video will get. In a sad way, it's almost a sensation. When the interviewer (a YouTuber I've watched before, but never really liked) says that he had been asked why such a legend would even talk to him, and explains that he might have been the only one willing to listen to Clapton, I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

I was never a Clapton fan, but I obviously have huge respect for his musicianship. I would love to understand the psychology behind such derailments. But alas, as Mark sings in one of his new songs, "Who knows why/I wish I knew/We feel the things we feel/Do the things we do ..."
i always was an amazing fan of his (especially LIVE) work up until 84 or something, maybe even 89, and found he had become REALLY boring musically after that. But then i got a ticket as a birthday present to his show in Antwerp, which, due to covid had to be postponed twice, but i have to say, it was a very enjoyable evening with some amazing playing. (of old work, new work still not interested in) too bad he has indeed gone full bonkers.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2024, 10:04:06 AM »
It is a free world. Well, at least I hope it still is...
If there is something I hate much more than shocking opinions, it is the cancel culture of those shocking opinions.
I hated to see what those kids who owned their fortune to J. K. Rowling spit on her and even banned her just because she expressed her conception of feminism.
I disagree with most of Roger Waters' opinions. Yet I love him, for all what he brought musically and also for being true to himself.
What I can tell you in that in Paris Bercy on Sunday, people were delighted by EC's guitar skills and couldn't care less about his opinions regarding any topic...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2024, 10:14:45 AM »
If there is something I hate much more than shocking opinions, it is the cancel culture of those shocking opinions.
I hated to see what those kids who owned their fortune to J. K. Rowling spit on her and even banned her just because she expressed her conception of feminism.
I disagree with most of Roger Waters' opinions. Yet I love him, for all what he brought musically and also for being true to himself.
What I can tell you in that in Paris Bercy on Sunday, people were delighted by EC's guitar skills and couldn't care less about his opinions regarding any topic...
basically said nothing else.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2024, 10:35:21 AM »

Where did anyone try to cancel Clapton?

If you are against cancel culture then presumably you are in favour of free speech, meaning that people should be free to say that Clapton has turned into a conspiracy theory nutcase when in a single interview he rattles off a full bingo card:

*Putin is a great guy BINGO!
*Big pharma BINGO!
*Israel rules the world BINGO!
*Industrial military complex BINGO!
*Special military operation BINGO!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2024, 10:46:14 AM »

Where did anyone try to cancel Clapton?

If you are against cancel culture then presumably you are in favour of free speech, meaning that people should be free to say that Clapton has turned into a conspiracy theory nutcase when in a single interview he rattles off a full bingo card:

*Putin is a great guy BINGO!
*Big pharma BINGO!
*Israel rules the world BINGO!
*Industrial military complex BINGO!
*Special military operation BINGO!
and did he not also mention the big evil Klaus from the World Economic Forum? Bingo!
only one missing would be the eviltastic George Soros, singlehandedly responsible for all that goes wrong in the world....together with Billy G. of course..

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.