Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #29:2010.05.19, The O2, Dublin, Ireland - Spoiler  (Read 37847 times)

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
Re: Concert #29:2010.05.19, The O2, Dublin, Ireland
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
I think he could have played get lucky & rememberence day at least. Only 2 songs from get lucky was dissapointing.

Prairie Wedding is one of the most boring songs I ever heard and I nearly totally zoned out during it.

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
now now H_C
just wait until Antwerp, then you will see for yourself, it is still an awesome show.
 ;)

agreed :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinezigner

• Guitar George
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
Unfortunately i'm very disappointed that the setlist is the same as the last US-shows...all together there aren't any changes. I can't understand why MK is acting like this. Why isn't there Why aye man anymore? For Europe he could have made some changes...very disappointing  :'(

I'll ask again, WHY are you expecting significant changes?

I feel like I am in a twilight zone here.   Hasn't anyone followed the set lists for the past 3 tours?  They barely change!  Why in the world would people think suddenly now he is going to be significantly changing the set lists???

You can't understand why "MK is acting like this"?  Like what?  Playing songs he wants to play?  Playing a mostly static set list just like he has all his solo tours since 2000?

Oh, and he didn't play Portobello Belle?  Who would have guessed that? lol

http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=1294.msg23442#msg23442
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:19:24 PM by zigner »

Offlinezigner

• Guitar George
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
I'm terribly curious if they play Portobello Belle ;)

I have to ask after reading posts like this and those similar.   I assume you are a long time fan and are familiar with MKs set list staticness throughout his tours.  How/why do you believe he will pick this song to add to the setlist tonight?  It amazes me to no end all the speculation like this (not just from you) when in the past, between continents he has maybe changed 1-2 songs on the setlist.  And of all songs, you pick this one, which I believe has never been played on tour?

I just don't understand the thinking.  If this was Bruce Springsteen okay fine, any song could be played at any show, but this for MK?  In my opinion, you have the same chance of hearing I Saw Her Standing There, as Portobello  Belle.

i suppose you mean "on THIS tour" but if you mean "any tour" you are wrong of course.
well, if one song would pop up in Dublin, i would also imagine Portobello Belle, it is kinda "irish" innit?

I do mean any tour since 2000.  Please be more specific, how I am "wrong"?

And to you other point NO!  Just because a song is kinda irish DOESN'T mean he will likely do it there.   Why?  Because with RARE exceptions the set is 90% static with the exception of a couple of choices (example Cleaning My Gun vs Coyote) and routine songs the band knows from years past like Bonepart, etc.  (again, I am shocked I have to point this out to those who are supposed to be other long time fans of MK (twilight zone again??)). Yet it seems that 25% of the discussion on the tour in the forums is speculation over what the set list changes will be, as if they were common.  Simply I am amazed!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:15:45 PM by zigner »

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
No matter what he plays, there will always be enough who will say "not enough classic songs", "not enough new songs", "not enough rare songs" etc, you cannot satisfy everyone.

Besides, due to the latest personal changes, technical changes etc (see Guy's diary) I think it was rather unlikely that there are setlist changes on this first European gig, maybe better to begin with a "safe thing", and maybe add other songs later (?)

Last not least, Mark "designs" the concert with the typical visitor in mind, a person who goes to only ONE concert - the one nearest to him -  so no need for setlist changes from one night to the other.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »
Unfortunately i'm very disappointed that the setlist is the same as the last US-shows...all together there aren't any changes. I can't understand why MK is acting like this. Why isn't there Why aye man anymore? For Europe he could have made some changes...very disappointing  :'(

I'll ask again, WHY are you expecting significant changes?

I feel like I am in a twilight zone here.   Hasn't anyone followed the set lists for the past 3 tours?  They barely change!  Why in the world would people think suddenly now he is going to be significantly changing the set lists???

You can't understand why "MK is acting like this"?  Like what?  Playing songs he wants to play?  Playing a mostly static set list just like he has all his solo tours since 2000?

Oh, and he didn't play Portobello Belle?  Who would have guessed that? lol

http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=1294.msg23442#msg23442

Zinger is a man that talks sense,good post ;)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
During the week off the band had it might have been a nice surprise for us if they had brushed up on one or two of the songs they had rehearsed but not to be I guess.  I understand those who are disappointed but really as people have said before it's no surprise.  Still would've been nice though!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »
In the end I have been unable to make any of the UK dates work for me this time round.  The Brighton date was the only date remotely possible but tickets are sold out.  Having seen the Dublin setlist I am glad it didn't work out.  What a dissapointment.  Only two songs from get lucky.  No piper or local hero.  Sorrty. love the man to bits but I have no need to see this all again at the moment. ???

Everyone to their own opinion but I dont think that someone can judge something without actually seeing it in the flesh - take Hill Farmers & Marbletown, they are decent tracks on a cd but when you see them live,well .........make up your own mind!I was there & I also would love it if local hero was played as a finisher as its one of my all time favourites but it didnt take one bit from the gig.The man may be 60 & sitting on a stool but man can he rock,yeah only 2 songs from GL but f**k it we never got a ragpickers tour either so what the hell, ::)The gig was sublime,I dont think that I've ever heard him sing as well,his voice was really good :P Would I pay money to go & see it again today or next week or next year,damn right I would :o :o If you look at the setlist & think that you need your slippers & a cup of tea you couldnt be further from the truth,the gig rocked :P :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WM :  I agreed with you whole heartedly.  Heck, I'll be happy to just sit there and listen to Mark banter with the fans or tune his guitar. LOL  People tend to focus on what disappoint them because so and so songs were dropped , rather than focusing on  the remarkable performance of Mark and the band.  And the fact that Mark still enjoys touring.  There'll be days when all we will talk about is how we wish Mark and the band would tour again. 

For me to hear all those gems played live from Border Riever to Piper were more than enough a great honor to be in Mark and the band's presence.

HFB, Coyote, and Speedway were like lightning bolt that struck me and temporarily hypnotised me into the unexplainable musical bliss.

I'm like you all, there are so many beautiful songs I'll die to hear him play live, but that just won't happen, so in the meantime I'll just be grateful for the opportunity to see him again and again. 

Attend as many as your time and pocketbooks allow you to do so.  I did so with 4 shows earlier in the tour.  The mere disappointment for me was that I didn't go to more.  The songs and the experiene still reverbrate sweetly in my memories. 

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »
Piper to the End: 

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2010, 11:06:09 PM »
Yesterday I wasnt going to one of the RAH gigs - today hhmmm.....................!!!!!!  ::) ::) ::) I'm itching,I've thought about nothing else all day,one minute I'm on Ryanair.com checking flights & the next I'm saying nah it will pass after a while,then I'm on aer lingus.com checking their flights. Look at this how could you not want another fix :o :o :o

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »
Hi all,  Just got back from the Dublin gig and I was absolutely overwhelmed by the whole experience!   We were on the front row and the sound was perfect.  

The set-list was pretty much the same as before, but with CMG and Bonaparte.  It was great seeing Mark very close to us and he played and sang better than ever I have heard before and looked pretty happy - lots of smiles, even though his leg appeared to be not yet better.   I really didn't mind that the set list hadn't changed much, because the songs sounded fresh even though I had heard them many times before.  All of the songs were played fantastically and at the end of Speedway, when the climax of the song came, he was playing with so much energy that he could hardly say seated and almost stood up, but not quite!   I know lots of people moan about the set lists, but now I know that it doesn't matter a jot what he plays, because even after seeing him so many times, it was still just so darned exciting!  It was also lovely to see the interaction between MK and the band and the reverance that they have for one another.

I must say that Mark really looked great and being up close I could see all his facial expressions  -  Mmmm!

It was really lovely to meet so many people from the forum - Waterline Man, Joko and his family, Ubhal and Isaac Shabtay.  I have some pictures to put on the forum, but I have just arrived home - Dublin is great, but pretty tiring!   I hopefully will do it tomorrow!

Now I am looking forward to next week and three more gigs!   Happy days!

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2010, 12:22:12 AM »
and piper to end....
people, i made no friggin mistake, the message is there.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.