Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Finally REAL Your Latest Trick Chords  (Read 7453 times)

foma

Finally REAL Your Latest Trick Chords
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:25 PM »
I was frustrated long ago that even official chord books have wrong chords for this song. It's a kinda strange, because song is more, than well-known, it's known better than even Sultans. Everyone heard this sax tune at least once in the lifetime. But why mistakes in the sheet music?

Anyway, this is a chords for album version of the song. Note that live version contains exact same verses, but on the album some parts of the verses alternates between [B

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
Re: Finally REAL Your Latest Trick Chords
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:22:42 PM »
Great job foma! This is a brilliant song in all ways possible, lyrically and musically.

I like what you say about the only jazz chord! I've thought the same thing myself, that the chord shapes are fairly easy but the combinations sound complex  :)

I gave up looking at sheet music for this a long time ago, because as you say they're never right. The way I learned it was to get the bass part down first, and then incorporate the bass line with the chords, and it seems like my findings are very similar to yours. I'll try it when it isn't so late here (as to not disturb the neighbors).

BTW, the only thing that would make this song better would be if Mark played a long guitarsolo on it IMHO. And also I think it's a shame they didn't include the trumpet intro on the live recordings (although there are a few where the pedal steel plays that part)!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:31:24 AM »

BTW, the only thing that would make this song better would be if Mark played a long guitarsolo on it IMHO. And also I think it's a shame they didn't include the trumpet intro on the live recordings (although there are a few where the pedal steel plays that part)!

Mark played a solo on the first leg of the  OES tour instead of Paul Franklin, e.g. on this one at 5:16

the guitar doesn't sound Gisbon Super 400 like it was on 92 shows.

I guess it's the pensa, or maybe the red schecter strat

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
Thanks JF! You're definately right on the guitar not being the super 400. Great sound anyways.

I know he played it on the "Mark and friends" thing 10 years ago, but does anyone know if he did it again after that? It is considered one of his "hits" isn't it?

foma

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
Great version! Thanks! I think it's a Schecter because of this beautiful frets buzzing and given the fact that it's a one of the first concert of the tour as far as I know :) Sound of guitar similar to On Every Street I think.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:40:18 AM by foma »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Great version! Thanks! I think it's a Schecter because of this beautiful frets buzzing and given the fact that it's a one of the first concert of the tour as far as I know :) Sound of guitar similar to On Every Street I think.

I guess you're talking about the OES song outro ?

Of course live it's the red schecter, and for years, I thought that it was the red schecter on studio version to, but jeroen (from oneverybootleg) said to me that he read in a sheet music book, that it was the 61 fender strat.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
I know he played it on the "Mark and friends" thing 10 years ago, but does anyone know if he did it again after that? It is considered one of his "hits" isn't it?

not to my knowledge. but it's normal considering that there was no sax player since 96...until this year

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »
And also I think it's a shame they didn't include the trumpet intro on the live recordings (although there are a few where the pedal steel plays that part)!

funny little story about this trumpet intro :

my first copy of BIA album was a copy from the LP on cassette, so the "short" versions, so YLT was without the trumpet intro, it was starting directly at the sax part, and I listened to it during some months (it was in june 1988 to be precise)

Then, during a travel back from england to France on the ferry, with some friends, we had the occasion to listen to the official cassette (which contained the "long" versions). It was our first listening to the full lenght versions of the songs.

When we heard the first seconds of YLT, we thought : "hey ! WTF ! the tape has some speed problem ?!! the battery is down ! we have to buy some new batteries for this f... sony cassette player !"

we run into the ferry to buy some batteries. we found some, and replaced in the sony "walkman" player....(yes in 88....)

but it was slow again !

finally we understood that it was normal ! oh god you can call us stupids ! :smack  :disbelief

and then I discovered the full length songs for the whole album......ah those were the days

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
 :thumbsup :clap

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
Ah, the Sony Walkman - one of the iconic electronic inventions of the 20th century.  I had a fair few in my time but the best was the EX-49 model known as a super walkman due to it's "superior cassette mechanism" and also it's small size which was no bigger than the cassette case itself.  Still have it!

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-ex49
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the chord work! I've never found a really good analysis. This seems correct.

Personally, I think that it sounds nice to swap the C#m in the second line of the verse to an A major. (They are similar chords, of course) I mean just for the sound, not going by the record.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 40 queries.