Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (02) Back on the Dance Floor  (Read 72733 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: (02) Back on the Dance Floor ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »
I don't understand people saying it sounds like "late Dire Straits".

Late Dire Straits to me is On Every Street.

Not one song on that record sounds like these two new songs.

Maybe people are hearing what they want to hear.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Either are equally possible.

I agree, can't find anything of OES out of these 2
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »
The guitar sound of BOTDF is rather heavy and "sharp", maybe that's why people think it's reminiscent of OES. The feel and sound of the song I think is quite different.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »
Just thinking......   Lots of classical composers wrote variations on a piece of music they had written, for example Elgar's Enigma Variations, which were sketches on the same theme, but each one written for different members of his friends and family.    So why shouldn't MK write a variation on Terminal, or whatever?   If it was OK for Elgar, etc why not MK?    :think    ;)

Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2018, 01:40:58 PM »
Just thinking......   Lots of classical composers wrote variations on a piece of music they had written, for example Elgar's Enigma Variations, which were sketches on the same theme, but each one written for different members of his friends and family.    So why shouldn't MK write a variation on Terminal, or whatever?   If it was OK for Elgar, etc why not MK?    :think    ;)

Yes he has done that several times. Walk of Life/Cannibals..  Sultans/Lady Writer, and so on. He develops ideas, is maybe not convinced and is trying again. He looks forward and seldomly plays his old records, so the songs are just versions to him maybe.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »

Yes he has done that several times. Walk of Life/Cannibals..  Sultans/Lady Writer, and so on. He develops ideas, is maybe not convinced and is trying again. He looks forward and seldomly plays his old records, so the songs are just versions to him maybe.

LE

I'm sure he sees it as a development of the previous version - hoping for something superior.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
Yes indeed.

LE

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
I have to say that at first I found the TOTT melody and guitar solo a bit disruptive. However, with more listenings I did not think that anymore.

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »

LE

I'm sure he sees it as a development of the previous version - hoping for something superior.   :)

Yes, it's true, you're right. It is as if revisiting his old songs re-elaborate them in a new guise. But come on, I feel good and I think it's okay for all of us Mark's fans, regardless of taste. :)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »

I agree there's nothing wrong. But at the same time it's correct to say this is the first time the main melody is exactly the same, that's what is surprising. I think the reasons are 2. First, the melody was too good to be put only in a deluxe version of an album (Tracker) and be left out of any main album. Second, maybe rethinking at it he might have thought the lyrics of the original song was too harsh to be played live, it really seems this new one will be played live according to what GF says.
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
I'm still enjoying it very much and even Terminal is disappearing from my mind now - I think my brain is ignoring it!   ;D   I just love the rhythm and the general atmosphere of the song!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »
I'm still enjoying it very much and even Terminal is disappearing from my mind now - I think my brain is ignoring it!   ;D   I just love the rhythm and the general atmosphere of the song!    :)

just listen to Terminal immediately after Dancefloor, imo the first is superior overall, still Dancefloor is a good 7+.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »

Same for me, I like BOTDF more and more, it tells my brain to play it again and again...

Even if Terminal is a good song, I think this one has more interesting arrangements, harmonies and of course less acoustic instruments.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »

Same here, I love this song and am very excited about DTRW. As someone wisely said, if he sticks to flutes and pipes he sounds repetitive, if he changes the approach it's a rehash. Guys, that's Mark there, he's always gonna sound like... Mark. And in the end it's always a matter of taste.

In my humble opinion Mark and Guy wanted to shake things up and gave it a go. It's pointless to expect him to write another TR or a new R&J, he's a different man now, with different experiences and perspectives, obviously inspired by different things but without fail with his unmistakable touch. 
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
"It's pointless to expect him to write another TR or a new R&J, he's a different man now, with different experiences and perspectives, obviously inspired by different things but without fail with his unmistakable touch"

:thumbsup Exactly
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »

LE

You can add Money For Nothing/Heavy Fuel to that list too.  The difference with Dance Floor is that it is a development of Terminal whereas the others are non-developments.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 40 queries.