Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Harmonic Balancing  (Read 26111 times)

OfflineGerry

• Guitar George
Harmonic Balancing
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »
Nope, nothing to do with the planets. Since discovering the wonderful world of MK boots, I have been using a program called Har-bal for "remastering" these great concerts. Basically, Har-bal allows the user to correct for many of the variables that affect the sound on these live recordings, the dips and peaks in the balance caused by the venue's acoustic, the sound guy's mix, the position of the recorder in the hall, etc. The results can be quite amazing and greatly increase one's listening pleasure. And the best part is you don't have to be a recording engineer or have a lot of technical expertise to use this program. When you open a wav file in Har-bal you see a spectrum graph of the track with often large peaks and valleys in the waveform. By reducing these peaks and valleys, a pretty good balance can be achieved. Now, there is a learning curve as with everything, but the basic procedure is pretty easy to understand and apply. I first used this program with Gayle's recording of Boothbay, but as MK says I need to take another "swing" at it as I've become more skilled using Har-bal. Frankly, it's pretty addicting. There have been so many great recordings from the latest tour that I could spend all day and into the night working on them!

Here's the bad news. Har-bal costs about $100 US, but I have to say, it's the best 100 bucks I've ever spent. So if you are so inclined, check it out at www.har-bal.com. And if you have a favorite boot that I have also, I'll send you the remastered version so you can hear for yourself! Another disclaimer: I balance for my 60 year old ears and the audio equipment I have. But since Har-bal is a visual program, some of the subjective element is eliminated. Essentially, a good sounding track will be pretty flat from around 60Hz up to 1-2kHz and rolling off to around 10-20dB at 10kHz.

So, here's to MK and good listening!

Gerry

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
Re: Harmonic Balancing
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »
Welcome, Gerry (even if you're not my husband-but you are!)

I agree with Gerry....the stuff he's done with tweaking boots is nothing short of amazing! He's cleaned up the Boothbay audio (and continues to do so). It sounds better than ever!

Check it out and verbally kick my gbobmi a** if you find fault with this. I can take it (and pass it on to Gerry)! NOT!
arse ;D

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »
Hello Gerry! Welcome to the site, it's great to see your message!  I hope you will have a good time reading serious information but also have fun with all of us. Oooh well, with a lady like Gayle around you every day, you must have the same kind of humour, so that is already good! ;D

Thank you for this interesting information. I am sure many guys and some ladies of this board can use it for their recordings. I don't know much about technical things and am too busy with reading, writing and listening music.

*Hey pppssttt Gayle, now hubby is at the board, can we continue talking about .......the man we all adore??"  :P ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:01:02 PM »
Hello Gerry - Welcome to the forum!   A thought just struck me - do you and Gayle have twin computers and will you be sending messages to eachother via the forum, in fact will you ever need to speak to eachother at all again!  The mind boggles! :o  ::)  btw  I hope you won't be too embarrassed when us ladies drool over "our man"!   :P  I agree with Fieneke, you must have a good sense of humour to be married to Gayle, who has given me lots of laughs since I met her through the "old" forum!   :D   Val. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:08:05 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:05:09 PM »
shall we set up a drool section ladies? within the pics forum maybe? and i mean the 18+ part of that board!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »
Oh, yes please Maarten, it probably would need an X Certificate, though!   :o
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »
Quote Pottel: "shall we set up a drool section ladies? within the pics forum maybe? "

WHAT?  ........Sorry I almost can't read the words! There is too much drool at my screen, I just saw some  :P pictures of Mark!!! ;D

Fieneke

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
shall we set up a drool section ladies? within the pics forum maybe? and i mean the 18+ part of that board!!

We have an 18+ part of the board? Where?

I think we hijacked this thread from Gerry! Sorry, honey!

Seriously, he has done some great things with Harmonic Balancing. *I have very sensitive ears*. (waiting for Val or Fieneke to comment on that)
arse ;D

Rollergirl

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
Oh Yes please I want my I want my I want my drool section!!

Oh and welcome, Mr Gayle, sorry about your thread.  ;D I didn't understand a word you wrote, anyway  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
Sensitive ears!   :o   I think this thread is definitely heading for the X Certificate 18+ Section - wherever that might be!! ???
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 03:54:09 PM »
Sensitive ears? I am not surprised, after years of living with Gayle!  :P

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
OK. I started a DROOL SECTION (thread, actually)...We can let Gerry get back to Har-Bal....
arse ;D

OfflineGerry

• Guitar George
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
Ladies, ladies, please!!   ::)  I can see I took the wrong tactic describing the benefits to Har-Balling (oh-oh, more trouble here!) the MK boots. How's this: By remastering with Har-Bal, the deep, strong resonance of Mark's voice comes alive, every breath is heard, every sign and moan, and the song comes alive in the listener as if MK were in the room, singing only to her!

How's that? Drool on Ladies, drool on.......... ;D

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
Quote Gayle: "*I have very sensitive ears*. (waiting for Val or Fieneke to comment on that)"

Uhhh living so long with you together Gayle, he must have more sensitive parts!  ;D

Ooohhh poor Gerry, now we spoiled his very interesting and intelligent thread, talking about drool etc!

Gayle please give him a big  :-* and hug on behalf on me!

*hey I still wish I could use my hug and other emoticons here, otherwise I could have done it myself!*

Fieneke

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »
OOOH! GERRY!!!!!! You'd better move this to the DROOL SECTION!!!!!!!!!
arse ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 41 queries.