Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Studio vs. live versions  (Read 4469 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Studio vs. live versions
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
Hi all,
I feel that there are 3 categories of MK/DS songs:

1-Songs that are enhanced and expanded by the live experience:

For me: SoS, OUATITW, ToL, R&J, PI, Solid Rock, MTS, RATR, CE, DWB, SAN, HFB, Marbletown, WAM, Coyote, BLT

2-Songs for which no live version can beat the studio version:

Skateaway, YLT, OES, WII, STP

3-Songs for which I can't really decide - both live and studio have their respective strong points:

To me: TR, BiA, MfN, GH,Rudiger, BR, PTTE, Going Home, Wild Theme

What do you guys think ? :)

Love Expresso

Re: Studio vs. live versions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »
Well, I think you should better not use so many abbreviations to this extent! ;D ;D ;D ;D
It makes me dizzy in my head! :P

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »
Arghh. You got me here :)) I'll try to avoid this in future.
Cheers

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:21 PM »
I was just kidding... I like the idea of the post and can agree to most of your suggestions. Especially What It Is sounded never really great in my opinion.
But MK live is a completely other story. "Heavy Fuel" sounds cool on the album but also great live. "Why Worry" was so epic on the album that I was always
disappointed by any live recording I have heard so far.

I would love to say anything about "Before Gay's & TV's" but never heard that one live...

LE  ;)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
:) Actually I did not mentioned Heavy Fuel or Walk of Live because I'm not too much of a fan.
As for Why Worry, I should have mentioned it in the "best live" section. Have you listened to Wembley 85 version ? absolutely gorgeous. I prefer it to the only official one we have - the RLRR DVD with Emilylou Harris, a bit too laid-back for me; but RLRR is worth buying for the fab version of Speedway alone...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
I agree with you that WII never sounded better than on the record but OES I think was enhanced by the live performance of Paul Franklin and the breakdown in the middle was a nice touch.  I always preferred that live.  The thing I liked most about Why Worry was the drumming during the outro on the album version which Terry Williams never took over live - not really his style.  Finally Wild Theme.  I think that the Hillbillies versions from '97 and '98 are better than the album one.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »
I actually have mixed feelings about OES live: on the one hand, the first part of the song does indeed sound greater live than the studio; as for the end solo... the good thing about it is, yes, an incredible performance from Paul Franklin (at least, not out of place like in TR or BIA); but, what definitely ruins it is the accelerated pace; the one on the album is just right, building slowly then taking off with majesty; the live version sounds like "let's hurry up, or else no saussages left to eat", if you follow my meaning ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
I think there are strings in the outro playing of On Every Street on the album? I discovered them quite late due to crappy hifi systems.. But that sound is really awesome. And the drumming ist also great. A very fine song. A little bit arty, lyrically, but great. It was track number two that I was able to hear on the radio after Calling Elvis, and I was absolutely stunned and thrilled and expectations for the new album were increasing boundless...

That was a great year!  :D

LE

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:22:18 PM »
I would definitely add Lady Writer to the studio songs. I never really liked that one played live. Also Love over Gold - the outro on the album is great, I wonder why they always left it out, just like with Why Worry.
Another one that comes to my mind is In the Gallery. I never liked the 1978-79 versions  (just one was good from the 2nd Rockpalast night). The keyboard outro on 1980 version is great, but they could have expanded it a bit more (well, a lot more). But the "double drum rhythm" at the end of the song, oh come on, that's just terrible imho.

I think that OES is much better played live. The outro is longer, more powerful. And the tempo isn't fast at all to my ears.
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I was just kidding... I like the idea of the post and can agree to most of your suggestions. Especially What It Is sounded never really great in my opinion.
But MK live is a completely other story. "Heavy Fuel" sounds cool on the album but also great live. "Why Worry" was so epic on the album that I was always

I would love to say anything about "Before Gay's & TV's" but never heard that one live...

LE  ;)

You gotta love the Emmylou  Harris duet of Wht Worry surely? It's awesome
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
Oh yes it is nice. I was at the Hamburg show back in 2006, it was the third night of the tour, all very fresh, and as Guy wrote somewhere, "you could hear a pin drop during Why Worry". But it is sung by Emmylou so it is not the "real" version for me, if you know what I mean. I love the Notting Hillbillies version from Ronnie Scott's (July 27th, 1998) btw, great rhythm. But soundwise and from the "epical" factor, the album version is unbeaten in my opinion.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »

LE  ;)

You gotta love the Emmylou  Harris duet of Wht Worry surely? It's awesome

I don't like the Emmylou duet much at all - her voice is too strident for that song imo.  I like the way Mark sings it alone.  On the album, he almost whispers the lyric and it's so beautiful.   I love the NHB versions too!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
Didn't Mark sing it on the Hurlingham gig 2009?

I'm sure he did cos I remember it sounded awesome!
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
Didn't Mark sing it on the Hurlingham gig 2009?

I'm sure he did cos I remember it sounded awesome!

Yes he did and at the other promos in 2009 and they were all fantastic!     :P
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 46 queries.