Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Where are all the ladies?  (Read 12746 times)

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
Where are all the ladies?
« on: September 05, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »
I just been looking at the forum statistics and the male to female ration is 1.9:1.  Where are all the ladies?  LOL :D  If my fiancee saw me writing this, she'd kill me!!! :D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Where are all the ladies?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
I am not really surprised , Ian.  I know that we ladies on this forum adore MK, but generally I think he appeals to males more than females.  Perhaps it's that guitar god thing!  Guy remarked upon this on his forum, because he had been taking photos of some of the audiences and noticed that in some of the European venues (continent) the audiences were overwhelmingly male, especially in Russia where one particular audience was around 99% male about 17 yrs of age.  We took some pics of the audience on both nights at the Heineken in Amsterdam and I would say at least 80% were male!   :)  In the two I attended in UK the audience was more evenly matched and the age range seemed much wider.  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:36:54 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
Hmm, I thought we had lots of ladies here, but I haven't checked the stats.

But Gayle, Val, Martina, Ingrid, Jackie, Rollergirl, Emily etc, lots of them.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejacki

• Camerado
  • once upon a time in the West
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Matt. I always thought I was a lady too.

On the subject of 17 year old boys being big fans, hooray for them!! Gives me a shot of well being that the youth out there recognize quality when they see it,,,and would rather emulate playing like MK's than, say, Slash (no smirch on Slash; wouldn't mind having his ability, although the style is not what I lean towards).

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:44:24 PM »
Unless we have female members signing up as 'male.'  :o  That would corrupt the figures!!!

OfflineTinkerbelle

• Guitar George
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »
I have always considered myself a lady.....MJ Wilson

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »
I, too, am a lady.  But I can get dirty with cow sh*t on a good Saturday afternoon!
Mooooo ;D
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »
LOL, Marie! You go, girl!

I'm a "lady"-believe it or not! I just swear like a sailor-but not in public...at least, not so anyone can hear me...

I'm very careful around small children and the elderly.

I also believe in calling cow sh*t cow sh*t.

Not sure why the ladies are in the minority, as MK fans go. *BUT*, I will venture a guess. In my experience, most of the women I know are not particularly knowledgeable or interested in music-other than knowing what they like to hear (i.e.:Celine Dion, Neil Diamond, most of the pop singers, etc.). Very few of my women friends have diverse musical tastes. I really don't know why. Even fewer remember Dire Straits, let alone know who MK is.

I have always loved music-all kinds. My musical tastes were further expanded when Gerry and I hooked up. He loooooves music of all kinds, as well. I love most of what he loves and vice-versa (although I'm not a big jazz fan). He has expanded my appreciation for many different artists, by bringing home and playing all sorts of cds. I've acquired a lot of my appreciation for artists unknown to me by osmosis. He plays it, I hear it. I don't know how many times he's played something in the past and I've wandered into the room to say "Who is this? I love it!"

We've always listened to music in our house and our boys were brought up hearing all kinds of stuff (not just my swearing :o). They've even opened our ears to a few musical treats!

Bottom line? I think the "ladies" of this forum are unusual. I never cease to be amazed by their knowledge and appreciation of good music-especially MK's!

What do you think? Ladies? Do your women friends and acquaintances share your appreciation for good music?
arse ;D

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »
It was a woman who turned me on to MK--a fellow teacher and a horse woman.   Not a woman who is a horse, but a woman who spends all her waking hours with her horses.   
It was Sara who handed me Communique, and said, "Listen to this guy.  He's has really intelligent lyrics."  Why she handed me Communique instead of Dire Straits I have no idea.   
I never looked back.   
And once at the hairdresser's, some woman looked up with a spark in her eyes, when I mentioned MK to my hairdresser.   (I'm always mentioning MK to some one.) 
But other than that, it's just a casual knowledge, and almost always I have to say, "You know, Dire Straits. . . ."   
On the side, you'd think people would start recognizing the man by his extensive solo work.   Even the damn reviewers repeat, "Mark Knopfler, former front man for Dire Straits,"  or a similar appositive.   
You and I are MOST lucky, GBob.  My husband likes MK and USUALLY tolerates my monomania, but he's not a great music man.  But he's great in other ways.  So smart and clever and patient.   Many other fine qualities, but I don't have time to write a book here.   :-*
Goes a long, long way
To get along

Offlinejacki

• Camerado
  • once upon a time in the West
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:26:23 AM »
As I have mournfully said before, Gayle, I am surrounded here in the Great American Desert with American Idol fans (she pauses to stick a finger down her throat) with very little diversity and even less curiosity or appreciation of good music. (They love Larry the Cable Guy, though.) I am constantly trying to educate the more promising youth of my acquaintance, and though my supervisor doesn't show any real affection for anything related to DS or MK, she humors me, and overall has a pretty good grasp of good music otherwise, so there are one or two I can talk to. (We went to see the Police together; the Moodies also.) It's sad, really...but I feel as you do, that the MK fans are all very unique, vibrant, enthusiastic, wonderful people and I feel honored to be amongst all of you.

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »
Over here we have too many talentless X Factor hopefuls :(  Artists like MK and GF that put so much love into their work get hardly any playtime over here.  They are too keen in the media to sell these talentless people which 99% of the time are just 'faces' that can sing a little but don't write or play any of their own stuff.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »
And they usually come and disappear within three cd releases--if that many.   Or lose themselves to drugs and alcohol with their new fame and money.     
Goes a long, long way
To get along

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
they are all in the ddrroooooooo  :o :o slurp slurp :P :P sorry yeah ddddrrrroooooooooolllllllll section ;D ;D
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 02:00:07 AM »
LOL! You found us, WM!!!!!!!!!!!!
arse ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.