Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits Charity in RAH?  (Read 165860 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: The Straits Charity in RAH?
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
true.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2011, 12:16:55 AM »

Anyway, the MFN clip was OK but not better than a decent tribute band.

I'm afraid you are wrong. Didn't you read the quote from Alan Clark? This band rocks "better" than ANY Dire Straits line up?

Yes, that's right. Better than Alchemy. Better than Sydney 86. Better than Basel 92. Better than Mandela.

Better in fact even than the line ups before Alan joined, because this band "rocks better" than any Dire Straits line up!

"After just a few days rehearsal I can tell you this band rocks better than any Dire Straits line-up. Of course, we don't have the huge talent that is Mark Knopfler but we do have..."

To be fair the complete sentence is slightly more balanced.

Exactly!

"For the first time in 20 years" Alan Clark, Phil Palmer & Chris White from Dire Straits...etc

This sentence is absolutely correct. Alan has played with Phil and Chris separately..but these THREE will really play TOGETHER again for the first time in 20 years and they have a REASON to do it. They have something to finish together these brave guys.

It was so sad for me to read some of your rude comments...comments which prove one more time they must do that. I think they deserve more respect and impartiality. It's a shame! But it's a matter of prejudiced minds...

There are also some signs for me the things will be changed in the future and they will be joined by other loved DS members...   

Kisses to all you sweet guys here...and superval

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
There are also some signs for me the things will be changed in the future and they will be joined by other loved DS members...   

What do you mean?

The unbelivable reunion?

Honest I do, I fear a last minute unannounced surprise appearance by The Man himself.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Jackal

« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2011, 06:46:29 AM »
I don't agree that the end might justify the means in this case. Misleading people is never good and imo not acceptable.

Absolutely. If they intentionally set out to mislead people into thinking that this is a Dire Straits reunion, I agree with you 100%. They don't do that though, and even if someone could have understood it as a reunion, I don't really have problem with it

Honest I do, I fear a last minute unannounced surprise appearance by The Man himself.

No chance.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:37:17 AM by Jackal »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
Slavi - I understand completely how excited you and others are about this reunion, especially as you are such a huge fan of Chris, but I am being honest when I say that it is just not my cup of tea and doesn't excite me at all!  If it did, there is no question that I would be there like a shot!  I was not being rude, just expressing my opinion, which everyone is entitled to do on this forum.  I do hope you all have a great evening, though and who knows, MK may turn up, but I doubt it - I think pigs might fly!   ;D    

I feel I must ask you, though, as you are a great fan of Chris, would you still be as enthusiastic about this reunion and travel from Bulgaria to attend, if he wasn't there?

BTW the completed sentence makes a lot of difference and I hope that a lot of money is made for the charity.    :)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:34:28 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »

This sentence is absolutely correct. Alan has played with Phil and Chris separately..but these THREE will really play TOGETHER again for the first time in 20 years

OK, first of all that's fair enough and I apologise for suggesting otherwise, even if it is actually 19 years since they played together. ;)

they have a REASON to do it. They have something to finish together these brave guys.

What do they have to finish together? And why are they brave?

I think they deserve more respect and impartiality. It's a shame! But it's a matter of prejudiced minds...

Slavi, it
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
Well, if it can generate some money for the charity and exposure to Mark's music, I guess it's all good.

Absolutely, but still unnecassry to mislead people about "first time in 20 years" and stuff like that IMO.

How else are they going to get unknowing people to attend? Put up rehearsal videos and claim it's the best band ever? Oh wait...
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineGeordieboy

• Local Hero
  • Forever Mark
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »

... It's a shame! But it's a matter of prejudiced minds...

No. It's only a different point of view then your...We can?
I respect the musicians....but i don't respect the way they do. And after the latests Alan words.....oh God...

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »

... It's a shame! But it's a matter of prejudiced minds...

No. It's only a different point of view then your...We can?
I respect the musicians....but i don't respect the way they do. And after the latests Alan words.....oh God...

So you have the right to say your opinion but Alan don't have that right?  :o

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »
Dusty, why do you think I take it personally? My name is not mentioned at any page of this topic to take it personally.  ;D

I read the whole topic some times carefully and felt that some of you are angry. OK! I can understand that and I even know very well why you are angry. But I'm not going to write why because I'm afraid you will start to throw stones and rocks on my screen and it will be a total vast of time.

The reason why I wrote my previous post was I thought this anger made your comments prejudiced, unfair and rude so you all got this "for the first time in 20 years' sentence wrong.

So if you still insist to be on this opinion and prejudiced, please, don't read the rest of my post

Well, we've got a website:

http://www.thestraits.com/home.php

The subjects of the website are Alan, Chris, Phil calling themselves "The Straits"...there is also a picture of them as they can't be mistaken...

Now there is also A SENTENCE with a grammatical subjects (Alan, Chris, Phil), a predicate/verb (perform) an object ( greatest hits) and grammatical adjunct for time "for the first time in 20 years"( put over the sentence ) .

There is also such a sentence - see the right side of the page below - "Alan Clark, Phil Palmer & Chris White from Dire Straits reunite for the first time in 20 years"

What's wrong with that sentence or the meaning? It's true...these three really play together for the first time in 20 years ( OK...Let be 19...LOL) Come on...It's so simple to get it...LOL    

I'm really astonished and horrified how you all continue to insist this sentence is wrong...must be removed or it is to attract more audience...Now I will correct myself to be more proper - you are not rude...your comments were rude, angry and prejudiced...and I think these guys don't deserve it.

Chris was DS memeber for 2 tours (how many concerts?)...Phil was for only 1 tour ( how many concerts or months or time?)...and what about Alan - how many time, songs, albums, concerts etc?...Why they should not call themselves like that, perform these songs again if they enjoy that so much? And at last why they should not find somebody to play if MK don't want to...Shell we respect their opinions and wishes or we will respect OURS ( or screaming - Dusty I don't quote you here - "it's my opinion!!") only?

Now I wrote "to respect their opinion and wish" and stop with the rude comments...I don't said you must like what they do...

Still loving you all  ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:48:41 PM by Slavi »

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »
Ah...and Geordieboy...weren't you (or your friend?) who made a record of the concert of the guys in Gambassi Di Terme and promissed to send me a copy?

Rollergirl

« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »

Now there is also A SENTENCE with a grammatical subjects (Alan, Chris, Phil), a predicate/verb (perform) an object ( greatest hits) and grammatical adjunct for time "for the first time in 20 years"( put over the sentence ) .
(....)

you are a teacher, aren't you?  ;D ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
Slavi - You haven't answered my question.    As you are a huge fan of Chris, would you still be as enthusiastic about this event and travel from Bulgaria to attend, if Chris wasn't involved?   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
I could easily go to this living where I do but I won't be attending. I just can't get excited about it.  It kind of reminds me of the sort of concert people do when someone has died. Or of Queen trying to carry on without Mercury, no matter how hard they try it doesn't seem right and almost sad.  I'm sure there's no cynical reason to do this gig other than a group of musicians doing what they love doing, but I still don't get it. Saying that I hope it's a huge success.

Love Expresso

« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:16 PM »
Don't call me ar$

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.