Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits Charity in RAH?  (Read 165848 times)

Jackal

Re: The Straits Charity in RAH?
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »
@ds1984 - I know what you mean, BUT you have to understand Mark in this. Those oldies were part and parcel of who he was during a certain period of his life. He no longer is that person. I know what this is. I've moved countries, and when I go back to Norway on occasions, people remember me as the person I was five or ten years back and expect me to have the same tastes and opinions. I don't, I've changed, they've changed. Even things I might have done that deserve some merit, they still go on about it, how great it was. I feel embarrassed about it. For Mark to play songs that currently have no or little relevance for him, would be pretence. If he forced himself, the delivery of those songs would certainly feel forced as well. He can only be who he is. Some like it, some don't.

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
I've pretty much kept out of this debate. Let me just say it's ridiculous for anyone to believe that anyone other than Mark was the reason for Dire Straits Success. Seriously? Dire Straits WAS Mark Knopfler. He doesn't owe anyone any credit. He was the writer for pretty much every track they released. The other band members should be thanking him for what he gave to them. Dire Straits are dead as a touring band... End of!

There, I feel better now :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
Mark is still playing DS stuff live.
Who would complain that TOL is back and give a rest to TR? Communiqu
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:55:32 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »

What I worry about is that it all could be a huge disappointment and the tears may not be of joy!  I would love to hear WDYTYG sung live again, by Mark, but I fear it would spoil my memories. :-\    I prefer MK to continue on the path he is on at the moment and just remember those great DS songs as they were on the recordings we are lucky enough to still have.   

I agree with Jackal, MK is a different person now and is doing what HE likes doing.   :)

Right! My great memories of listening him playing SOS are long spoiled by his latest rendition of it.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
Maybe I'm in a minority but I'm really not fussed about hearing WDTYG again. There are much better solo songs that have never been played, 5.15am, You Don't Know You're Born etc.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Jackal

« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
Right! My great memories of listening him playing SOS are long spoiled by his latest rendition of it.

If SOS is a song he likes, imagine him playing a song he doesn't like.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
I rather listen to his own solo songs than DS ones, in fact, I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineARII

• Guitar George
« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
Not sure Chris White did very much for TOL in BIA Tour did he? Maybe sax on intro but how can you have any Dire Straits songs without MK...to be honest I think they sound really bad without MK's vocals and people who try to sound like MK on vocals sound terrible.....let's face it MK isn't that gifted a singer , he wouldn't win X Factor but he's MK and mixed the vocals with his guitar styles and song writing styles to create something brilliant and unique...it's really hard to cover that, even if you used to be in the band......pretty sure the Special Guest is John Illsley (or one of the tribute band singers) who will no doubt do vocals, but I'm not sure that DS would have made it, even with the songs, if these guys had taken over from MK, they haven't got that je ne c'est.......etc

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
I've pretty much kept out of this debate. Let me just say it's ridiculous for anyone to believe that anyone other than Mark was the reason for Dire Straits Success. Seriously? Dire Straits WAS Mark Knopfler. He doesn't owe anyone any credit. He was the writer for pretty much every track they released. The other band members should be thanking him for what he gave to them. Dire Straits are dead as a touring band... End of!

There, I feel better now :)

plus he gets/got fairly cranky from time to time as well,I reckon he isn't the easiest man to work with ::)A lot of guys that have been there & done that seem to have been dropped off at the pass for some reason without a real explanation from either side - a bit like Jack Sonni- here today gone tomorrow,no real reason??Chad,here today gone tomorrow,no real reason only that he had family commmitments ::) ::)Maybe they like sausages or something :P :P

He's still the best though 8) 8)
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »

What I worry about is that it all could be a huge disappointment and the tears may not be of joy!  I would love to hear WDYTYG sung live again, by Mark, but I fear it would spoil my memories. :-\    I prefer MK to continue on the path he is on at the moment and just remember those great DS songs as they were on the recordings we are lucky enough to still have.   

I agree with Jackal, MK is a different person now and is doing what HE likes doing.   :)

I really enjoyed SOS on the 2010 tour and he really does seem to enjoy playing it!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2011, 03:20:22 PM »
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »
Maybe I'm in a minority but I'm really not fussed about hearing WDTYG again. There are much better solo songs that have never been played, 5.15am, You Don't Know You're Born etc.

I'd like to hear those too! Also "Fare Thee Well Northumberland" and "Old Pigweed".    There are so many beautiful songs still to be heard, played live, from the solo albums, so let's hope we hear more of them!   It was a real treat in 2005 to hear "Back to Tupelo" in Edinburgh Playhouse.  
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2011, 05:37:32 PM »

If you wanna listen to the DS songs, go to the RAH and enjoy Dire Straits  ;D

That's better like that  ;)

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »
Sultans was really great in the final stages of the tour I think. And I found myself thinking that for the first time I would not bother if he played exactly the same set list on the next tour as he did in July 2010... even if no new song was played and even if he really kept the same sequence I would really enjoy the show - it was so great and I still stick to some of the shows on a daily base more or less.

All songs I wish to hear live have been mentioned in the last post actually, 5.15 am, Fare Thee Well Northumberland, You Don't Know You're Born... I might add "Before Trash MTV" and "One More Matinee".
And "Silvertown Blues".

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 45 queries.