Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Need a little picture help  (Read 23316 times)

Jackal

Re: Need a little picture help
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »
There are five known Shakespeare signatures - none have the letter "e" in them.

So - Shakspar?

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 12:13:28 AM »
Yup, you got me. I should have said: "none have the letter 'e' in the middle of them".

The Shakespeare family name can be traced back to the thirteenth century but over 70 variations have been found in its spelling. For example, "Sakespere" in 1248.

An American scholar once researched the various spellings of William Shakespeare's name between 1564 and 1616. He found 342 instances  with 25 variations in its spelling. However, 60% of the instances had it as "Shakespeare" or "Shake-speare".

The only surviving letter written to Shakespeare gives his name as "Shackespeare". The letter, asking for a loan, was dated  25 October 1598 and was most likely never delivered as it was discovered in the writer's papers.

And, if you saw the film "Shakespeare In Love", Queen Elizabeth never actually went to see plays in a theatre. If she wanted to see them, the plays came to her - by being performed at court.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »
i did like that movie though...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
"Shakespeare in Love" was co-written by Tom Stoppard, one of my wife's favourite playwrights. She is the real theatre buff in this household. I just pick up on some of the slightly abtruse elements.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »
she is also the bigger MK fan in your household, am i right?  ::)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
Wow, that was all totally helpful and stuff. Now I definitely know where to find my MK poster  ::)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
She is, Pottel, she is.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
Wow, that was all totally helpful and stuff. Now I definitely know where to find my MK poster  ::)
no need for the irony. i for one find these little stories entertaining, and yes, they do not necesarrily relate to the original theme of (your) thread, but it is not the first, nor the last time this happens, if it happens with post like those, i could not care less, if it happens with flaming posts for example, that is an entire different matter.
not sure if you stated it anywhere, but...did you try ebay and the likes? or contact PCM?

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:09 PM »
I guess I'm the one who has taken this thread off in other directions and, if that offends you, goldenheart96, then I'm sorry.

By mentioning the question of resolution, I assume you  do not want an original but a good quality copy to put in the file in your computer. If you can find a suitable picture on eBay, as you say, but it has writing on it, just save it and use Photoshop to cover the writing.

If you don't want to buy Photoshop, then download something like General Image Manipulation Program. It goes under the unfortunate name of GIMP but it is free. It is pretty sophisticated (probably too sophisticated for what I want) and it is not user-friendly, especially for a newcomer to this sort of thing. However,it comes with a self-help guide and, though a rank amateur at these things, I managed to get it to do what I wanted after a few tries.  These things do take time and care but some of the results can be quite dramatic. Most of the MK images are recent, so it should be fairly straightforward. You should try cleaning up photos from old magazines and newspapers ,or concert adverts from the dim and distant past ,or even articles taken from microfilm - I can tell you from personal experience, they take hours and are really fiddly.

If you get GIMP (or something similar), my recommendation would be to grab the image you want in the uality you want it, from wherever, save it in your file, then copy it using the "Save As" facility, giving it the same file name as before but with an addition (say: "copy 2" or "Improved") at the end. This means that you can do the image manipulation work on the "Save As" image. This has two benefits: (1) if you make an irretrievable mistake, you've still got your original image and (2) if you do a good job, you can switch back and forth between the original downloaded image and your manipulated/improved image and bask in the wondrous results of your endeavours.

I should have said, GIMP does come with a Back button, so, as long as you haven't saved the changes you've made, you can always go back. You should, periodically, check if you're happy with the changes you've made, however, and then save those changes, in case your PC goes into freefall or something. As I said, this can be a time-consuming process and you wouldn't want to lose all your hard work.

Here's the Wiki report on GIMP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

And here's the official site:

http://www.gimp.org/

And, I repeat, it's free.

Now, where was I?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:46:03 PM by twm »

Love Expresso

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »
I guess I'm the one who has taken this thread off in other directions and, if that offends you, goldenheart96, then I'm sorry.

Now, where was I?

;)

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
I understand Goldenheart96 feeling quite well, I dont like when interesting threads take other directions and then you have 3 pages of "off-topic" conversation and just two or three "on-topic" posts.

It can be fun for most of you, but for others, specially when someone is waiting for some help, is not.

Goldenheart96, there are many posters in ebay, search there.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »
I understand Goldenheart96 feeling quite well, I dont like when interesting threads take other directions and then you have 3 pages of "off-topic" conversation and just two or three "on-topic" posts.

It can be fun for most of you, but for others, specially when someone is waiting for some help, is not.

Goldenheart96, there are many posters in ebay, search there.
you posted nothing else compared to what i posted earlier "look on ebay" what else do you wanna do? the question was asked, no one offered their copy, so one is left to surf da ebay net.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:28 AM »
So, when someone says "Look in ebay" it means the thread is open to whatever. Isnt it?

Maybe someone has posters to sell, or know other shops to buy posters etc etc etc, I guess that was what Goldenheart96 was expecting...

http://www.allposters.es/-st/Dire-Straits-Posters_c83707_.htm

Look this one from 1979... Does it looks familiar? (I fear I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Jackal

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »
That's hilarious. If they had copied something that was easily identifiable, like the Alchemy arrows or the lower case first letter (dIRE sTRAITS), it might be understandable, as a nod to the past. But when they choose something as obscure as this, they might as well just have created something new! it just becomes silly. Feel it says a lot about the artistic originality in the group. Maybe they are just cheap.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
I like that '79 one but too bad they weren't around in the 60s when poster artwork was in it's prime;  vivid colours and bold designs. :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 44 queries.