Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Searching the web  (Read 3285 times)

Jackal

Searching the web
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
Just thought I'd share a little trick with you that I just discovered and that yields great results when searching via Google. If you want to search one newspaper for articles about Mark, try writing this in the search field:

"knopfler" site:latimes.com

I just used LA Times as an example. If you go the the newspaper's website and search for "knopfler", you get one -1- hit! And it's the wrong Knopfler. If you do it via Google, like I just showed, you get 528 hits. Album reviews, interviews from the DS era, etc.

Just did the same with Ry Cooder (who incidentally lives in LA): 18 hits vs. 1100+. Lots of great interviews and reviews.

My point is that the quality newspapers have quality articles, but it appears that especially the older ones, are buried deeply in the archives. And the search functionality seems pretty limited. Rolling Stone Magazine doesn't even have a general search function! Search the way I showed and type in site:rollingstone.com, and you'll see some great photos of Mark!

Unfortunately, you can only search one site at the time, but if you make a list of some good newspapers or other magazines, I'm sure you'll get a lot more interesting results than just by searching in Google the normal way. Plus you'd have to sift through 11 million hits (for "knopfler").

Happy searching!

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: Searching the web
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
That's really cool! I just searched the Sydney newspaper smh.com - loads of stuff, what a goldmine! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: Searching the web
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
Thanks Jackal! I will give it a shot at the Greek media, to see if it works. I remember an article at Pop & rock (Greek magazine), during the LoG sessions, with working titles completely different! Otherwise I will have to go through my archive.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 38 queries.