Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ruth Knopfler. (Mark's sister)  (Read 31172 times)

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
Re: Ruth Knopfler. (Mark's sister)
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
That being said...us 'enquiring' minds need to know Dusty...did he sign your guitar?

He sure did. He was "very sweet" about it, had a laugh and a joke with me, couldn't have been nicer. I feel bad that his wife and kid had to wait while he was doing, but I literally saw him walking towards me on the street, I had taken the guitar 500 miles in the hope of getting it signed and I had a split second decision to make.

In the end it was probably the right one, as he didn't meet fans after the event. Not ideal, but he was walking down a public street after all, not like I turned up at his house or anything. :)
Great story..and it serves to strengthen my opinion of the man. You can truly tell everyone you have an MK signature guitar (is it a Strat?). I'm sure that Kitty is used to it by now..too bad you didn't have a copy of "Pop" with you for her to sign.  :)
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 10:22:21 PM »
I am aware that it's a joke, but it's not a v funny one! Each to his own sense of humour Jackal.

Just because something may be in the public domain does not, imo, mean that a discussion thread about it is ok. I think someone's personal life should remain personal to them and largely off limits to others and I remain uncomfortable with these threads.Discussions about guitars, tours, songs etc - all perfect and v enjoyable. Just my opinion.

this thread is approved, and there is no reason to stop it. nothing "evil" was said, no address details were given, no bank account details shared.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
For what it's worth, I don't feel comfortable with this either, purely because Ruth has never, as far as I'm aware, made any public comment or such like about MK. Kitty and even his daughter have featured in the press, but not Ruth.

So I won't be participating, but there's no reason to stop it, unless it's deemed offensive/defamatory etc. :)

Freedom of speech is the whole point of AMIT. That and allowing me to throw my weight around and act like a big man.
we never approved that last bit dusty...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:01 AM »
hey......I just wanted to point out : imagine Mark playing like a "real" left-handed guitarist, that's all  :o
What I've always founded strange on this forum is to talk over and over about what should be wrote on this forum, instead talking of music (wasn't it the original purpose of this forum ?)  :)

english isn't my natural language, but I didn't found Jackal's post schocking. I think jokes are welcome in the discussion, and I agree that nobody is forced to read and reply, and the subject of the topic is limpid : it's about Mark's sister, so of course posts are about her.

If there's a rule of not talking about this kind of subject, why wasn't it deleted immediately ?

Jackal : I like "politically incorrect humour" (yes....googling translation) and it feet well with your avatar ! ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
Dusty, it strikes me as very odd, this story of yours. I mean you probably knew the route MK and co. would pass this day, carrythe guitar with you and waited for them. This must be an MI5 job!
As a matter of fact I carry my guitar all the time, just in case I run into the man - or any man for that matter- but no luck whatsoever. Maybe the fact that I do it in Athens Greece has something to do with it.
When I was in Rhodes island in the army, I was on the look out to see either Gilmour or Wright but no luck either. I also look for Belle and Sebastian, which is such a big group (in number of members-and great musicians from Glasgow-you've heard of them?-) , someone will eventually drop by.
Even Eric Clapton will do...
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Jackal

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »
I don't mean to be difficult, but what's the deal with having someone's signature on your guitar? A signature on a CD they have put out or on a photo of them I can get. If the guitar had belonged to them or they had used your guitar for something, it would make sense, but otherwise, I think it's a bit weird :) It's like parking your Toyota Corolla next to Michael Schumacher and go "Yo, Schumee! Would you mind putting your signature on this here car?"

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »
You lucky! You have a Toyota! Well it is not actually the same, since Schumacher never drove a Toyota, and after a couple of rains and a bit of sun the signature will go away, but yes the pointless of the whole matter speaks volumes of the lunacy, us, fans and collectors, carry. And yes I like my record sleeves clear of any signature, just for the aesthetics (what's the point in ruining a perfectly balanced-good cover that the artist strive to make?), so for what is worth, I have bought the record again. (Since I am a vinyl "junkie" collector, I try to find as many editions around the world as possible. Unfortunately it is such an expensive hobby, that I can not afford anymore, so   the cheaper and easier to collect is the actual LPs, with the tiny differences in details, different colour of letters, inserts, and sometimes like the Korean editions and the Yugoslavian Making movies, different tracklisting!)

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
I don't mean to be difficult, but what's the deal with having someone's signature on your guitar? A signature on a CD they have put out or on a photo of them I can get. If the guitar had belonged to them or they had used your guitar for something, it would make sense, but otherwise, I think it's a bit weird :) It's like parking your Toyota Corolla next to Michael Schumacher and go "Yo, Schumee! Would you mind putting your signature on this here car?"
Dusty got double for his money..if you look closely at the head you'll notice that the guitar is an MK signature Strat..so he has the model...AND Mark's real signature on it as well...cool!!   ;)
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Love Expresso

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 07:41:34 AM »
Mark could sign me a napkin anytime. Or a tail pipe.

LE

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »
In Amsterdam in 2010, we waited behind the HMH
for the band to arrive. I wasn't expecting to get an autograph,
so wasn't prepared. Anyway, once all the cars drove into the loading
bay, a man came out of a door & said that Mark will sign one item only.
I suddenly panicked, because I didn't have anything!
I quickly looked in my wallet. All I had was a
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
BBB, right on the money! Man your ten pounds now worth 11 for a fan! That is what BD was talking about on Subterranean homesick blues, and after all such bills do exist!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »
Yup, the signature is pretty pointless, no more pointless than a signed CD though. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 40 queries.