Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #33:2011.11.21, HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 93459 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
The bands got on well and the crews got on well, too. The evidence on the final night is that the two main protagonists also enjoyed the experience.

I'm not sure if the question had any particular edge to it but let me press on as if it had.

I know a lot of Dylan fans found the Knopfler set too samey and I know that many Knopfler fans found Dylan confounding - with fans on both sides feeling that they had to pay more than normal to see less than usual of their favoured performer - but we are not typical concert-goers when it comes to these two. The bulk of the audience members were neither stone Dylan fans or stone Knopfler fans (in the sense that they do not go to multiple shows and have to worry about travel and accommodation costs and the like) but are just ordinary punters who saw it as an opportunity to see two great performers in one concert - two for little more than the price of one and a lot less than some performers charge.

If my analysis is right, there is no reason for Messrs Dylan and Knopfler not to repeat the experience some time. I, for one, would like to see more of them on the same bill. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
If I had been at one of the shows where MK and Bob played together, especially the final show, then I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed the experience a whole lot more than I did!   It was such a pity that we all didn't have that chance, but at least I have the recordings and can pretend I was there!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Dylan played a "blinding" set but the set by "the Knopf" was what this journalist really savoured:-

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/articles/2011-11/24/mark-knopfler-bob-dylan-live-review

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
Bob's singing is still kak - MK verses - you can actually hear what is being sung.....Good on you MK!

I think Bob did this song rather good. And Mark's first verse is nothing but mediocre, which of course can't be said about his other verse.

being up front I went from psyched to worried when Mark started singing, first half verse wasn't so confident but then he sang sweetly the rest of the way.

Hey I found another nice collection of clips from the Hammersmith run by poupystar. Does he ever torrent whole shows? It seems some of the best quality MK videos whenever I find them but always just snippets.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...

Hey I found another nice collection of clips from the Hammersmith run by poupystar. Does he ever torrent whole shows? It seems some of the best quality MK videos whenever I find them but always just snippets.

He used to organise some free distribution but I did not see new stuff released post 2006 tour ("HOT NIGHT... IN PARIS" 3DVD).
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
A pretty fair summation of the tour by a Dylan fan, with some comments about "The Knopf".

http://samsonsdiner.blogspot.com/2011/11/review-of-dylan-at-hammersmith-november.html

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
Poupystar's full version of the song:

!

:)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Poupystar's full version of the song:

!

:)

It sounds ridiculous, it's not like I'm his mum or something, but I felt so PROUD of MK watching that video. My hero. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
And then the other guy next to Mark, has to ruin everything with a lousy, only in name, harmonica solo. ;D  Maybe his mum shouldn't have allowed him to go out, before he had practiced enough.  :P
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
And then the other guy next to Mark, has to ruin everything with a lousy, only in name, harmonica solo. ;D  Maybe his mum shouldn't have allowed him to go out, before he had practiced enough.  :P

Lol!   VGONIS!     All this time I thought I was the only one to have seen the king with no clothes!   :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: Concert #33:2011.11.21, HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2011, 02:03:55 AM »
Only (what?) another 15 years to wait until Mark hits his half-century in the music business. Then, perhaps, you can assess his performance on the same basis.

And, if you guys value Mark so highly, then why do you doubt his judgement in putting on hold the recording of his own album in order to be the support act for a pre-planned and arranged European tour by Bob Dylan?  There must be a reason for Mark's decision and it's certainly not financial. That's not to say that he didn't get paid (and probably handsomely) but he certainly didn't have to do it for the money (nor did Dylan, for that matter).

There are a lot of Dylan fans who found Mark's set "boring" (that's an adjective commonly applied and they're wrong, too) but I certainly did not doubt Bob's judgment in adding Mark and his colleagues to the bill.

I found it a great double bill. Two performers, with different approaches to their art and their task in life, both valid approaches, offering a great evening's entertainment. I didn't like every single element of either's set over the four nights I saw them but I wouldn't put them down for that.

If they repeat this double header in the future (and I certainly hope they will), then I'll be very pleased if I can arrange to attend some of those shows. If it happens, it won't be in Europe, in my opinion, so I have already decided to start putting money aside for a trip to who knows where?. North America I guess.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
Re: Concert #33:2011.11.21, HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2011, 03:37:21 AM »
If they were to tour NA  TWM..I'll be there with you...all of us over here could only stand back and read about it. As far as Bob's harmonica effort on "Forever Young" goes..it does seem to vary a bit from one recording to another..which leads me to the conclusion that his harmonica work seemed to be 'swallowed' up by sound issues..I'm almost certain that if the sound was a little 'softer'..the harmonica would have sounded more melodic..and not as choppy as it ended up sounding like. One other thing...not sure if the final 'jam' between the two of them was planned..Bob gestured to the stand holding his harmonica as he moved toward it..as if to say..'I'm going to jump on this so Mark and I can finish it off together'. If it was impromptu..the band seemed to pick up on it..and finish off the song in style. It was the only way to finish this remarkable tour.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2011, 04:18:28 AM »
Btw...does anyone know if any recordings of the final show...either Mark's or Bob's side..will be surfacing?
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2011, 08:31:22 AM »
I'm currently downloading a nice recording of Mark's set from Nov 21st.

I came here to post the link but having had to start my Sunday reading yet more Bob bashing above made me decide not to bother. ::)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:34:55 AM by arabia »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2011, 09:16:44 AM »
I'm currently downloading a nice recording of Mark's set from Nov 21st.

I came here to post the link but having had to start my Sunday reading yet more Bob bashing above made me decide not to bother. ::)
I saw no (real) bashing, certainly nothing comparable with what was written during the early days of the tour, on either side, by the way, am I the only one to have noticed this enormous increase of acknowledgement from both sides?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.