Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #33:2011.11.21, HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 92268 times)

OfflineDIFFICULTTOBELIEVE

• Local Hero
I came across this at ER:

Funny story if it's true...

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66399&sid=31065084132263e2d8be3db273ebf8e8

My friend and I had supper in the Blue Anchor before Monday's gig and a young Aussie bartender told us that Mark hab been in the pub for nearly 3 hours that afternoon. He and his friends were in an upstairs part of the pub on their own. He apparently had one drink - a cognac - in all that time. That's called resolve!

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
An even better version. Two cameras and noiseless sound :D

It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineDIFFICULTTOBELIEVE

• Local Hero
Best yet Jarle. TY for posting. Sound is better than the others. Mark's guitar is superb. Like the bit at 3.17 when the lap steel fella acknowledges Mark's solo.

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
That is a very good recording/video. Thank you so much.
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Love Expresso

Mark's solo is so great! I am not speaking of technically great (have no clue about that) but about the melody and how great it fits in into this song. This solo alone really is overwhelming How is he doing that? Just pulling it out of a hat?

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
And there is another question, would it be possible that MK knows the lyrics of all BD songs? How on earth does he remember all that?

The possible text problems being disregarded, I might imagine quite exactly what has happened every evening after the MK set:

*knock knock*

Someone hands a piece of paper to MK.
MK:"Oh, it's a new BD setlist, thanks! Guy, hurry up, we've to find a recent performance of song "ABC" on youtube."
The video playback starts buffering....

*knock knock*
- Hey Mark, Bob is already up there....come on!

MK walks up to the stage, nods to BD. BD whispers:
"Erm, I think we play song "XYZ" instead of "ABC"...."

;D
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
still got the glow :)

Jackal

Mark's solo is so great! I am not speaking of technically great (have no clue about that) but about the melody and how great it fits in into this song. This solo alone really is overwhelming How is he doing that? Just pulling it out of a hat?

LE

Basically, yes :) First of all, the song has a very easy structure. I mean, it's not exactly Giant Steps. Secondly, those kind of songs fit Mark's style perfectly; a bit slower rock ballads with lots of room for sensitive lyrical phrasing (or for making the guitar "cry and sing", if you like).

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
Best yet Jarle. TY for posting. Sound is better than the others. Mark's guitar is superb. Like the bit at 3.17 when the lap steel fella acknowledges Mark's solo.

Yeah, love the bit where the lap steel chap acknowledges Mark.
Another great goosebump moment. :)

Cheers. BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
I know the earlier reference to Dylan suddenly changing his songs at the last minute was intended humourously but I thought a couple of comments might be of interest.

Generally, having decided the set list in advance, Dylan does not appear to change the opening songs much from that listing.  The changes appear, these days, to come later in the set.

At the Saturday show in Hammersmith, for example, his stage crew had removed odd bits of kit before the end of the show; then, as it appeared to me, Dylan turned round before "All Along The Watchtower" and said to someone that he had decided to insert an extra song. He then did "Watchtower", after which there was a bit more shuffling around on-stage than was normal at that point in the show and Dylan then performed "Jolene".

In terms of "Forever Young" on the final night at Hammersmith, this was not just pre-arranged and, by the looks of it, maybe even rehearsed.  Dylan has very occasionally had "guests" make on-stage contributions but, too often, there has been little sign that it had been worked out in advance. We've had (the dreaded) Bono singing on a song when he didn't even know the words; we've had a gang of folks brought on-stage in a way that was fun but pretty disorganised.  The Dylan-Knopfler collaboration was different from these examples. If not rehearsed, it was carefully worked out. There was little chance of Dylan making a last-minute change.

As an aside, there was a time when we got to see quite a few of Dylan's concert cue sheets and there were sometimes option songs at certain positions in the set, so that Dylan could vary the set almost at will - though, even then, he didn't always stick to the options.

Back to Hammersmith.  I presume Dylan suggested the idea of a collaboration to Mark and it is indicative of (1) how well this joint tour has worked out, (2) the regard that Dylan has for Mark, (3) to some degree, Dylan's acknowledgement of the loyalty of his British audiences and (4) that even Dylan, in true showbiz style, wanted to finish the tour with a flourish and on a high. 

What would be interesting to know is which of them suggested "Forever Young". There on stage were Knopfler (at 62 ?) and Dylan (70 years old) singing to one another "may you stay forever young" - two musicians who stay "forever young" by not sitting back on their past achievements, merely repeating them,selves, but forging their way forward all the time. I'm a bit prejudiced and think Dylan has been more abrupt in the changes he has made but the Knopfler I've seen on tour (quite a lot) in the last decade or so is not the person who came to fame in Dire Straits. I really liked the NHB shows and Mark's embracing of the Celtic and folk music and welding it to his style in his solo work has been, to say the least, impressive.

Love Expresso

Great post, and interesting! Sums it all up, thank you very much! (That Bono "dreaded" word was the first "misbehaved" word I read in your posts so far! I like! ;))

LE

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
Bob's singing is still kak - MK verses - you can actually hear what is being sung.....Good on you MK!
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms

Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
Bob's singing is still kak - MK verses - you can actually hear what is being sung.....Good on you MK!

I think Bob did this song rather good. And Mark's first verse is nothing but mediocre, which of course can't be said about his other verse.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
That "multichannel" version was really brilliant, almost cried there and then....
And word from the Dylan camp as to how the knopfler camp got perceived there? Any,and I mean ANY word from Dylan's opinion bout this tour?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 42 queries.