Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sonny Liston with third man theme  (Read 35006 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: Sonny Liston with third man theme
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »
I think the problem with those posts, are their belief, that they have an adequate knowledge of English, and that the reason they don't get any proper answers is pure rudeness, when in reality it is lack of understanding from the receiver's part, due to pure English. (I do as well). Any way what a great movie "The third man" is. One of my all time favourites! Orson Wells steals the attention, even with only a few, mostly obscure, minutes of presence!  Maybe the reference in Sonny Liston is as obscure!     
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

foma

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 07:15:01 AM »
or is it at 5:27 ?
Definately it's not the "third man theme" lick. It's one of the Mark's very own licks, which he steal from "Mississippi Blues" thought ;D

On 0:09 and many-many times it can be heard here:

On 6:02 of Sonny Liston vid is, as Mark would say, "stuff", which can be born in the studio or rehearsal . I didn't notice any quotes here, just cool old-fashioned jazzy chords voicing. Which is btw not moved by halfstep completely
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:33:46 AM by foma »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
I like Brazillians, but they can get a bit itchy.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
I like Brazillians, but they can get a bit itchy.

I don
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »
spanish people are the worst Jbaent, ever been there? in spain?
horrible!!
 ;D
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
On second thoughts I don't know about these Brazilians; they all seem a bit nuts! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
ferguitar, don't know if you follow Guy Fletcher's forum. If you see what a number of Brazilians post, you'll understand.

Yes, i follow his site, and i post there too, sometimes. LOL, we have 200 million people living here, dont judge the whole country by 2 or 3 morons. Anyway, they are trolls, and very successful ones ;D. There are some posters there who actually made sense and tell things as they are, and they annoy the hell out of the fan boys/asslickers police!! Very funny me thinks. God forbid someone says something "bad" about MK.

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »
If, from time to time some people seem rude we must try to understand other cultures where it may not be deemed rude.

LOL, what the hell dude? Those freak brasilians were rude and they know it, what is this talk about "other cultures"? Its rude here, its rude in England, its rude everywhere. Its not like we are animals. Dont be condescending.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »
If, from time to time some people seem rude we must try to understand other cultures where it may not be deemed rude.

LOL, what the hell dude? Those freak brasilians were rude and they know it, what is this talk about "other cultures"? Its rude here, its rude in England, its rude everywhere. Its not like we are animals. Dont be condescending.

See what I mean! :)

I was trying to be nice.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:30:09 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Jackal

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
What I think is crazy is that anyone can think that they can use Google Translate to produce perfectly understandable translations. GT is OK for very simple sentences that really can be understood in only one way ("Insert the CD in the CD player."), but when you write in a very informal way, use slang, use "jargon", etc. you can be sure that mistranslations are very likely. And some (note that I say "some") of those Brazilians particularly, and several others for whom English is not their native language, keep posting again and again translations that don't make any sense. Then of course you have those that are plain rude. I too like to provoke Guy sometimes to disagree and to criticize him and Mark at times, but being rude is just stupid. I don't get these people.

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 11:48:10 PM »

See what I mean! :)

I was trying to be nice.

Get off your high horse dude, thats the worse kind of rudeness, trying to be superior. Are you implying that the behavior of those brasilians are not considering rude here in Brasil? Jeez......

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 11:50:22 PM »
What I think is crazy is that anyone can think that they can use Google Translate to produce perfectly understandable translations. GT is OK for very simple sentences that really can be understood in only one way ("Insert the CD in the CD player."), but when you write in a very informal way, use slang, use "jargon", etc. you can be sure that mistranslations are very likely. And some (note that I say "some") of those Brazilians particularly, and several others for whom English is not their native language, keep posting again and again translations that don't make any sense. Then of course you have those that are plain rude. I too like to provoke Guy sometimes to disagree and to criticize him and Mark at times, but being rude is just stupid. I don't get these people.

I agree, but those people are trolls. But the fan boys are worse.

Love Expresso

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 07:46:43 AM »
I had my bad times at Guy's forum with these Brazilians already, too, some months ago. Thinking today about it, I come to the conclusion that there is one little thing that makes the difference: I think, apart from the rudeness, it is that these guys (on Guy's forum, not all "these guys" over in Brazil to be more correct) are just too ... demanding. They indeed seem to think that MK owes them something because they were buying his records. So I buy your record, now you have to play what I want you to. And that leads to this rudeness. They are always complaining about everything, about set lists, about the absence (or length) of guitar solos, about the tempo of the songs, about the songs itself, about the band members, about Danny, about Ian not being Danny and god knows what else. That's the annoying thing for my part. And it is quite arrogant to make such resolute comments without being able to use the forum language in the right way. Asking questions is one thing, uttering one's opinion also, but being negative and aggressive all the way is really disturbing. News of the day!

LE

Rollergirl

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »
Get off your high horse dude, thats the worse kind of rudeness, trying to be superior. Are you implying that the behavior of those brasilians are not considering rude here in Brasil? Jeez......

dmg doesn't need anybody to talk for him but I'm gonna do it anyway  ;D.

He doesn't know if it's considered rude in Brazil or not, as he's never been there and doesn't know any brazilians (I assume). He was just guessing. So no need to get upset or accusing him of being trying to be superior (or is it because you feel inferior?), just say that these dudes are also considered rude in Brazil because that's what they are.

Jackal

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »
So, looks like we all agree that Mark's lick was not a reference to the Third Man Theme, then.

Anyone for tennis?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 46 queries.