Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rejectec music scores by MK  (Read 2117 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Rejectec music scores by MK
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
As as I remember, MK rejected many movies soundtracks, the ones that comes to mind right now are:

- The last emperor
- Maverick
- The legend of Bagger Vance

If you remember any other, please post it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

Re: Rejectec music scores by MK
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »
I once read in an interview MK gave around the time of the Last Exit to Brooklyn soundtrack, that he recently had been asked to do a score for a movie "where some surfing bank robbers were wearing ex-president's masks" - he found it ridiculous... It was only a few years back when I saw the thriller "Point Break" with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze that I suddenly remembered that story... It was the same interview where he told the story that Bernardo Bertolucci had called on the phone and said "My muuvi geets biiig", and Mark obviously made a funny imitation of the Italian director' accent... 

I don't know if Mark was really "rejecting" Point Break or if he was just asked as a first contact because that movie was released in 1991, some years later than Last Exit... However, I like that movie, it is a very good, linear and well played movie with two very good guys, Patrick and Keanu...  ;)

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »
Interesting.
I liked Point Break too, didn't find it ridiculous.
The Legend of Begger Vance is a very touching movie, very much in the "local hero" mood, sounds surprising that Mark would reject it ?
Mark seems very selective. If you watch the BBC Arera documentary on the Alchemy DVD, you'll see him bashing a book, saying "this is the way some people make their living".
But was Local Hero, as a film, better than Begger Vance ? I seriously doubt it ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
I think it is great that he is so selective. And to be fair, the movie wasn't made at that time, and the storyline "bank robbers with ex-president's masks are a group of surfers who are searching for the one perfect wave" sounds not the way that it guaranteed good movie...

Local Hero is regarded as a masterpiece and one of the best movies ever made by some people who are deep into movie and cinema... You could also say it is a little bit boring and overrated...  ::) But the music score is great!  :D

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
I dont know why "Wild wild west" movie comes to mind too, I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »
Yes, Local Hero is not a great film but has gained a certain reputation over the years.  Probably due to a number of factors like Burt Lancaster in the twilight of his career and acclaimed filmaker Bill Forsyth having a following. I quite enjoy it personally though.

The soundtrack is great to listen to but perhaps not his best in a filmaking sense; that award goes to Last Exit which is ironically my least favourite to listen to.  It says to me that a good film soundtrack (in a cinematic sense) is one that should enhance the film while going unoticed so it probably won't be very good to listen to on a record.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »
Wasn't there a documentary about the making of "Local Hero" with a couple of in-studio clips of MK? 

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
I once read in an interview MK gave around the time of the Last Exit to Brooklyn soundtrack, that he recently had been asked to do a score for a movie "where some surfing bank robbers were wearing ex-president's masks" - he found it ridiculous...
LE

Funny you should mention this LE, I remember seeing another movie called Ruthless people, from 1986, with Danny DeVito and Bette Middler, with (if I remember correctly) president masks on (thus the memory of it right now) which very near the end when the hero comes out of the sea, has a music piece with a guitar phrase and mood, very close to Walk of life. Surely not the movie MK was asked but just remembered it. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »
Wasn't there a documentary about the making of "Local Hero" with a couple of in-studio clips of MK? 

Yes, that was on not that long ago.  Only last year, but memory fails me apart from the previously unseen studio footage. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 42 queries.