Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Queens Jubilee Concert  (Read 8614 times)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Queens Jubilee Concert
« on: February 07, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Surely MK has been asked to do this. It has all of his contempary musicians performing. I dont think he is a republican as he accepted his OBE. Well fingers crossed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9066128/Queens-Diamond-Jubilee-British-pop-stars-to-perform-at-special-concert.html

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Queens Jubilee Concert
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
I think it would be fantastic if Mark were to perform at something so regal.  A once in a lifetime opportunity and with such a line-up of distinguished artists it's sure to be fantastic entertainment.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:27 AM »
It will be interesting to see if MK is a named performer at this concert but I suspect he will not be. Few of the performers named so far are true contemporaries of MK. Many are older and from a previous generation of musicians. Some are younger. I guess that Elton John and Annie Lennox are the nearest in age.  The organizer is Gary Barlow and you MK fans will correct me if I'm wrong but I know of no link between and MK. Also, Mk has not been in the British public's conciousness in the way these other artists have been - that is, having hit singles, topping the singles charts or, for example, appearing on Top of the Pops. DS were more an Old Grey Whistle Test band. I'm talking Britain here not world-wide success.

Maybe MK will be added but, if it does happen, more likely as a guest guitarist rather than fronting. Then again, maybe I'll be wrong. Maybe Crockford and his team will pull some favours to get MK on the bill.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
So far, no mention of the other usual suspects, Clapton, Sting, Phil Collins.  I think it will be more like an outdoor Royal Variety Performance, with a mixture of young and old singers and groups/dancers etc than a Montserrat type of concert.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:18:01 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »
It will be interesting to see if MK is a named performer at this concert but I suspect he will not be. Few of the performers named so far are true contemporaries of MK. Many are older and from a previous generation of musicians. Some are younger. I guess that Elton John and Annie Lennox are the nearest in age.  The organizer is Gary Barlow and you MK fans will correct me if I'm wrong but I know of no link between and MK. Also, Mk has not been in the British public's conciousness in the way these other artists have been - that is, having hit singles, topping the singles charts or, for example, appearing on Top of the Pops. DS were more an Old Grey Whistle Test band. I'm talking Britain here not world-wide success.

Maybe MK will be added but, if it does happen, more likely as a guest guitarist rather than fronting. Then again, maybe I'll be wrong. Maybe Crockford and his team will pull some favours to get MK on the bill.

There is a link.... Take That used Mark's Studio at British Grove.... Plus MK is a legend and should be asked considering his OBE and links to royal fans over the decades. Fingers Crossed
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
As long as Barlow doesn't get Brian May on board again to perform one of the worst versions ever of God Save Our Queen. 8)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
As long as Barlow doesn't get Brian May on board again to perform one of the worst versions ever of God Save Our Queen. 8)

According to the above link, that's not going to happen, thank goodness!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
Thanks for the information about Take That and British Grove but that seems rather tenuous.

In terms of booking MK as a headline artist for this concert, if a member of the Royal family asked for MK to be on the bill, then he would be, I'm sure.

I am aware that everyone in this forum believes that MK should be asked, (that really goes without saying) but you have to put yourself in the shoes of the organiser.

The concert will last a certain number of hours, so how many headline performers will you need to fit into that time frame? It is a Diamond Jubilee but you can't fit every significant artist from the last 60 years in, so which performers will attract the attention of the greatest number of potential attenders-in-person and viewers-at-home?

I have my doubts about MK being on the bill as an announced performer but would be delighted if I'm wrong.

If he's not an announced performer, perhaps he will be a guest in someone else's segment of the show.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
I think the only way he would be welcomed would be with his old band, but that aint gonna happen.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
or him solo playing mfn, bia and sos kind of a thing.
those songs are still out there.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:31:35 PM »
Well, Paul McCartney and Elton John are playing, and MK has played with both of them, so you never know.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
Wow, one more of this speculation threads! ;D
Will he be invited, won't he? Well bets or on! I think MK will not be available since he has to complete all these recordings and tour alone and with BD and anyway he is not the guitar hero like Bryan May.  ;D But maybe he can perform the Sex Pistols "God save the queen, with PIL, to take revenge for not been invited.  :lol 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
MK's not trendy enough. Who cares? Not me.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »
Well Barlow was on The One Show last night and said that William and Harry are also being consulted.  If I remember, DS were one of their mothers favourite bands so perhaps they would like MK to be there.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:24 PM »
Dusty taht is a coincidence! I have been listening your songs while working and your message just poped up!Candy is such a great song!
As for MK, he may not be trendy, but he is like good wine, gets you drunk, but without headaches in the morning. ;D ( He is not that old...)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 38 queries.