Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitars from old New York  (Read 14938 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Guitars from old New York
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
Since some of you are getting a bit antsy, perhaps this will pique your interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16991890

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Guitars from old New York
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Which building do you think Bob's guitar came from - the hotel or the pub? ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Jackal

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Thanks for that. So many great luthiers out there.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
Bob and Martin guitars:-

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/02/bob-dylan-and-martin-guitars/

Now a fan site:-

http://dylanchords.info/professors/dylans_guitars.htm

There have also been some articles on Dylan's guitars in ISIS magazine, written by the editor, Derek Barker. Derek, in the past, worked for Island Records and was, at one time, in the road crew for Mott The Hoople. Derek has also spent quite a lot of time with Cesar Diaz, including visiting him at his home in Puerto Rico before his unfortunate death. Cesar was Dylan's guitar tech for some years. Derek knows his guitars.

This website apparently contains some inaccuracies:

http://www.highway61revisited.com/guitar.htm

Joel Gilbert, who runs this nlast site, heads a Dylan tribute band that occasionally includes former members of Dylan's touring bands. I only met Joel Gilbert once and did not much like him. The videos on Dylan that he produces tend to divide his fans. Nevertheless, you might enjoy the pictures.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:24:10 PM by twm »

Jackal

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:34:46 PM »
I'd like to hear Bob place his order or discuss the technicalities of the instruments. I can imagine the luthier sending a few letters or emails back to clarify a few points, "Dear Mr Dylan, We do need to ask you to be a bit more specific about the color, what exactly do you mean by 'akin to an Egyption moon-godess tangled up in blue'? Is that a dark blue?" To which Dylan responds: "Luthier, there is no. No. Blue. It's red. Red as the sun shining since time out of mind."

Could take a while.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »
There is mention in the Martin Guitars piece about guitars with a "Bob Dylan" inlay. Apparently three were ordered by Cesar Diaz but were never used by Bob.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
Thanks a lot for this very interesting piece of information! In the process of investigating the links you provided I stumbled across an insightful interview of Mr. Bob, that I would like to share with AMIT:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/01/bob-dylan-the-paul-zollo-interview-3/

And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Jackal

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »
Thanks a lot for this very interesting piece of information! In the process of investigating the links you provided I stumbled across an insightful interview of Mr. Bob, that I would like to share with AMIT:

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Bob is certainly a "character", for lack of a better word, but he certainly isn't boring!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:25:12 PM »
The Paul Zollo interview is a particularly good one. I contacted him soon after it appeared in SONGTALK magazine and actually bought a small stock of the Dylan issue, as well as copies of some of the other issues. There were some fascinating interviews in them. Was MK one of the interviewees by any chance?

Dylan was accompanied to the Zollo interview, as I recall, by Elliot Mintz, who interjected a time or two. Mintz is a well-known PR person, who represented John Lennon or his estate for a while. I did meet him once outside one of Dylan's London shows and, subsequently, had a few direct dealings by phone and fax. He was courteous but cagey, especially about revealing too much. Sometimes, one had to divine the meaning behind his words by considering carefully how he expressed something rather than what he actually said. Other times, it was what he didn't say in a given situation that was the real clue. Mostly though, he said almost nothing but said it very well. He hasn't done Dylan's PR for years.

Zollo produced a book called "Songwriters on Songwriting", which is still available to the best of my knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:33:04 PM by twm »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »
Incidentally, contrary to popular wisdom, Dylan has done hundreds of interviews, press conferences and similar over the years.

Jackal

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:40:10 PM »
I saw this one a while back, not very long, and particularly great, but I just like the way Dylan appears here. So "normal", if you know what I mean.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:00:41 AM »
Just checked. Yes, MK did do an interview for SONGTALK. Vol 2 Issue 13 for Spring 1990, pp 3, 40 and 41. He talks about Dylan in the course of the interview.

The same issue has an interview with Mick Taylor, too. He says of touring with Bob: It was great. I enjoyed working with him more than anyone else I've ever worked with in my career.

There's also Part One of a hugely long interview with Paul Simon, plus something with Art G.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:16:08 AM by twm »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Bob is certainly a "character", for lack of a better word, but he certainly isn't boring!
yeah. like it a lot too.
this is an interesting part:
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:03:56 AM »
and:
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08:36 AM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 46 queries.