Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite songs?  (Read 85332 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Favourite songs?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
I like that screeching! If anything, Mark's albums have been too clean in the past, so I'm glad to see him getting raw!

Yes, yes, yes, exactly my thoughts! I like this new sound!

And btw, I can very clearly now NOT answer this topic but can say that there are clearly two skippers for me, two songs which probably will never get into my playlist because I find nothing interesting in them:
Blood and Water and After The Beanstalk. That's it, the other 18 songs are all great, and some of them
are really absolute great tunes! I like! More and more!

LE

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »
For me, no real skippers. Those I like the least are Don't firget your hat and Hot or what.
I love particularly The dream of the submariner.
Radio city serenade has a nice intro (amazon snippet)
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »
For me every blues song is a skipper in potential...

I like blues, but its not what I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
I just mixed two parts of Go, Love. One from soundcloud and other from iTunes so now I can enjoy song from the beginning to wherever it ends...

Really one of the greatest, easy going ones MK ever recorded ;)

I also mixed Seattle the same way  ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »

Really one of the greatest, easy going ones MK ever recorded ;)

Exactly my thought about this really awesome tune. I am very thrilled about hearing it complete. Also "Miss You Blues" is of special interest for me, can't wait to hear it in full length!

LE

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
At this stage I won't be able to tell what my favourite is. I really need to hear the whole song. The most promising seems to be "Yon Two Crows". There will be somewhere between 5 or 10 skippers I think. Skippers are actually songs that don't end up in my DS/Knopfler playlist en my full pop/rock playlist with misc. artists.

I always copy the CD directly to my PC, since I use my PC with high end soundcard and high-end Dynaudio Monitors and Sennheiser HD580 headphones for listening to my music. My hi-fi set hardly gets used anymore.
Then I listen to the whole album alot for a few weeks and after that i make a selection of the songs I like and delete the 'crappy' ones. Though a crappy Knopfler song is often better then the most music you hear on the main stream radio. Over here in the Netherlands we have a radio station called 538 that is really horrible. It has one of the highest listening ratings, if not the highest, of the country.  You won't hear Mark's songs there. But you get that awful song "Someone Like You" every two or three hours. I pitty everyone who is made to listen to that channel, by his or her collegues. The problem is democratic decision at the work place when it comes chosing which radio station will be listened too.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »
Dream of the drowned submariner is a song that's catching me for some reason.
Seatle, Yon two crows, Go Love sound really great too. But who knows what happens after listening the whole songs for at least 10 times in a row  :D

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
Dream of the drowned submariner is a song that's catching me for some reason.
I drove a bike two days ago, about 5miles, to buy some magazines...anyhow, I forgot my iPhone and ended up humming/singing the lines from that particular one :)

Off course, only the part available on iTunes :) It was kinda strange...because I do not know the song actually :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »
At this stage I won't be able to tell what my favourite is. I really need to hear the whole song. The most promising seems to be "Yon Two Crows". There will be somewhere between 5 or 10 skippers I think. Skippers are actually songs that don't end up in my DS/Knopfler playlist en my full pop/rock playlist with misc. artists.

I always copy the CD directly to my PC, since I use my PC with high end soundcard and high-end Dynaudio Monitors and Sennheiser HD580 headphones for listening to my music. My hi-fi set hardly gets used anymore.
Then I listen to the whole album alot for a few weeks and after that i make a selection of the songs I like and delete the 'crappy' ones. Though a crappy Knopfler song is often better then the most music you hear on the main stream radio. Over here in the Netherlands we have a radio station called 538 that is really horrible. It has one of the highest listening ratings, if not the highest, of the country.  You won't hear Mark's songs there. But you get that awful song "Someone Like You" every two or three hours. I pitty everyone who is made to listen to that channel, by his or her collegues. The problem is democratic decision at the work place when it comes chosing which radio station will be listened too.
the exact reason why I use my iPod at work 24/7 ( of my work time)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
I have to say it again...

Corned Beef City is one of the better songs in many many years from the man!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 12:44:09 AM »
I had to stop ritualistic listening of album just to write this - Go, Love is...                 huh man...      one of D ones...

...and Hot or what (guitar solos specially)...Yon Two Crows also, huh...

Kingdom of gold!   ...Bluebird;)

Sub-ma-ri-ner! Just...what a tune! A hymn! Staggering outro...

and Blood and Water, my type of blues  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:33:44 AM by MisterYES »

OfflineJulienFlamand

• Local Hero
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2012, 12:57:09 AM »
Bluebird ! I love this song !

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 01:23:14 AM »
after listening to all in complete

dream of the drowned submariner is a masterpiece - classic knopfler song that will satisfy all the strait-fans out there, ...

followed by haul away and privateering.

bit too many f***** fade outs again on this album (who is mixing this stuff ??? guy ???? arrgh - what is it !??? , so after hearing that, i correct my opinion, it

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2012, 01:26:20 AM »
Nice outro on Go, love.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »
After listening to the album last night I've got to say I'm very satisfied.  It's better than I thought it was going to be with some really good songs on there.  There is one criticism I do have, however and that lies with the length of the songs; they are too darn short!  Too many seem to either start suddenly or end abruptly.

None is this more evident than in Bluebird where all of a sudden Marks vocal begins when one was expecting a bit more of an introduction, then at the end just as I was expecting a nice play-out the solo stopped after about ten seconds!  This is a very good song with the potential to be a great song and it's not alone in that respect.  An album not living up to it's full potential, but still very good as it stands.  8/10 (MK standards).

NB:  My uneducated opinion! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 43 queries.