Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite songs?  (Read 85301 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Favourite songs?
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »
see my comment on those requests inthe bonus tracks thread.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »

Though I must say I don't like the first 21 seconds of the song (intro). I am going to cut those away from the song with an audio editor. The violin part sounds very amateur like. As if someone is playing during his first violin lessons with a cheap violin.  :disbelief

Hmmm. Your post indicates that you are maybe capable of playing violin or at least know a lot about it, which I don't do. But could it be that there is a certain difference in looking at the instrument as "violin" or as "fiddle"? And that John McCusker seems to know what he is doing here? This song has (for me) a certain French Occupied Zone 1943 - DJANGO REINHARDT feel to it. And a proper violin would not fit in my opinion. Do you think John McCusker is a good player?

LE

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:16 PM »
The "outro" and the guitar playing at the end of "Dream of the Drowned Submariner" is VERY nice.... I would say one of the best guitar solo parts on the album... very touching and moving... could have been a few bars longer though in my opinion - I love the way Mark builds it up - first a few notes, like a sketch, and then with every repeat some more until we have the complete playing at the end - and the tone itself is also awesome... Love it...

LE
Absolutely! My favorite moment on album 100% :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2012, 11:50:41 PM »
Radio City is a 10/10...

Cant believe how wonderful this song is...

Kingdom of gold was the big dissapoinment to me, I expeted it to be great, but its not... 6/10 being generous.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »
Radio City brought tears in my eyes when hearing it the first 2 times.
Somehow really moving at least to me

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2012, 12:08:28 AM »
just listened to occupation blues for first time. Its a great song,and it should have kicked at least one of the lesser blues tracks off the album in my opinion.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »
I agree. This is really fantastic song. Stratocaster tone is superb in this one. I like the catchy chorus too.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinehfscardoso

• Guitar George
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »
Any of the songs left out of the album are easily at the same level with many that made the cut.
I'll have to listen to the album a few more times to make a more consistent and final review.

But my initial feelings are very good. We will see...

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »
Radio City brought tears in my eyes when hearing it the first 2 times.
Somehow really moving at least to me

I love it too but I thought maybe it was just because I'm American and it's a song about NYC. Glad to know it has more universal appeal. I just think it is a really complex song.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »
Alright, after a weekend of not doing much more than listening to this album, here's my definite hit list:

1. Seattle. Must be one of the greatest song's he's ever written. Top this, any of you songwriters out there!
2. Haul Away. I first thought it should have been recorded faster, like he plays it in the EPK. Not so sure now, it works that way, too. Amazing.
3. Bluebird. A perfect example of how Mark can take a "normal" blues pattern and then make more of it, somehow. That's not the case for all the blues songs on this album, unfortunately.
4. Red Bud Tree. Just the way he sings "... a place of ferns and grass" makes me love it. Don't know why, it just has that kind of feeling only he can create.
5. Kingdom of Gold. Is it too much, with the choir and everything? I don't think so; there's enough irony to this song. Brilliant.
6. I Used to Could. Kim Wilson adds a lot to this album. Together with Today is Okay, it's the best of the traditional blues songs on here.
7. Privateering. You gotta love it, even if I don't like the comped production, the fading out of the choruses etc. But the song's too strong to really take damage.
8. Yon Two Crows. He could have done without the pasted intro, but still. Great knopfleresque drive in the lyrics and guitar work.
9. Radio City Serenade. Just as good as A Night in Summer, Long Ago, of which it reminds me. Beautiful! And did anyone notice the intro, the link between "Gotta Have Something" and this?
10. Today is okay. Love the syncopated rhythm. Keep humming it all day.
11. The Dream of the Drowned Submariner. I usually hate synths, but have to admit (grudingly) that they are kind of necessary here, to create the submarine atmosphere. And what a melody.
12. Corned Beef City. The long awaited rocker. Simple and strong.
13. Gator blood. Just for that crying guitar "solo". Ha, Mark has come a long way with his solos!
14. After the Bean Stalk. Well, you either love or hate this, I guess. I love it. Whaaa-wha-whaaaa ...

That makes 14 great songs

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Alright, after a weekend of not doing much more than listening to this album, here's my definite hit list:

1. Seattle. Must be one of the greatest song's he's ever written. Top this, any of you songwriters out there!
2. Haul Away. I first thought it should have been recorded faster, like he plays it in the EPK. Not so sure now, it works that way, too. Amazing.
3. Bluebird. A perfect example of how Mark can take a "normal" blues pattern and then make more of it, somehow. That's not the case for all the blues songs on this album, unfortunately.
4. Red Bud Tree. Just the way he sings "... a place of ferns and grass" makes me love it. Don't know why, it just has that kind of feeling only he can create.
5. Kingdom of Gold. Is it too much, with the choir and everything? I don't think so; there's enough irony to this song. Brilliant.
6. I Used to Could. Kim Wilson adds a lot to this album. Together with Today is Okay, it's the best of the traditional blues songs on here.
7. Privateering. You gotta love it, even if I don't like the comped production, the fading out of the choruses etc. But the song's too strong to really take damage.
8. Yon Two Crows. He could have done without the pasted intro, but still. Great knopfleresque drive in the lyrics and guitar work.
9. Radio City Serenade. Just as good as A Night in Summer, Long Ago, of which it reminds me. Beautiful! And did anyone notice the intro, the link between "Gotta Have Something" and this?
10. Today is okay. Love the syncopated rhythm. Keep humming it all day.
11. The Dream of the Drowned Submariner. I usually hate synths, but have to admit (grudingly) that they are kind of necessary here, to create the submarine atmosphere. And what a melody.
12. Corned Beef City. The long awaited rocker. Simple and strong.
13. Gator blood. Just for that crying guitar "solo". Ha, Mark has come a long way with his solos!
14. After the Bean Stalk. Well, you either love or hate this, I guess. I love it. Whaaa-wha-whaaaa ...

That makes 14 great songs
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »
I admit you don't like the blues tracks, but Go, Love isn't on your list, it's such a beautiful song.
Same with Blood and water !

Believe me, I had a hard time leaving these two songs off! I like them both, but they're not my favourites. There is no song on the album that I really don't like. I could have lived very well without "Miss You Blues", though.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
I admit you don't like the blues tracks, but Go, Love isn't on your list, it's such a beautiful song.
Same with Blood and water !

Believe me, I had a hard time leaving these two songs off! I like them both, but they're not my favourites. There is no song on the album that I really don't like. I could have lived very well without "Miss You Blues", though.

Rail King - I always find that those songs I like least, at first, on an album, eventually become firm favourites - they just need a lot of listens!  ;)   Don't give up on them yet!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
This morning I listened to River of grog in may car and I really find it very beautiful.
Just MK and his acoustic guitar.
His voice is raw, his whistle blows in the microphone, it's simple but very nice !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »
Just realized that Bluebird got some similarities (God I hate comparing songs in general, but it's stronger than me) with Fade To Black, especially the way he played that great solo at the end.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 41 queries.