Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite songs?  (Read 85312 times)

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
Re: Favourite songs?
« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
Considering the fact that Dylan has that amount of energy at 72 ... How I'd wish Mark again would make something that's as cool as this:

As good and clever and sonically pleasing the new stuff is, it just pales in comparison. I almost feel like crying.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
Moving on from this afternoon - I have now listened to the album quite a few times AND - I really love it!   :D    However, there's still one song I can't get my head around and I'm not sure I ever will, but I'll keep persevering - "Don't Forget Your Hat"!   The rest, I'm loving more and more with each listen!  I even like "Hot or What" and I didn't expect I would!  ;)    I think "Yon Two Crows" is my favourite of the moment.

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »
Funny how taste differs, for me it's one of the weakest  :)
I like it that all people find something different in all songs  :D

It is funny how we all disagree so much about MK.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
Funny how taste differs, for me it's one of the weakest  :)
I like it that all people find something different in all songs  :D

It is funny how we all disagree so much about MK.

He set the bar too high with some of his early stuff for a lot of people I think.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »
Considering the fact that Dylan has that amount of energy at 72 ... How I'd wish Mark again would make something that's as cool as this:

As good and clever and sonically pleasing the new stuff is, it just pales in comparison. I almost feel like crying.

I agree that "In the Gallery" is mind-alteringly good. One of my all-time favourite songs. But I don't think that a song like "Seattle" pales in comparison. It's something completely different, but - at least to me - just as touching and brilliant.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »

By the way, I just listened to Dylan's new album (http://songs.to/#!s=Tempest&c=album), and you may say what you want about his voice, but he's got an intensity in his singing and music that is absent in Mark's work. And I'm not a Dylan fan.

Intensity

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »

By the way, I just listened to Dylan's new album (http://songs.to/#!s=Tempest&c=album), and you may say what you want about his voice, but he's got an intensity in his singing and music that is absent in Mark's work. And I'm not a Dylan fan.

Dylan's "singing" at the moment, is the main drawback for me!    I have only heard the five leaked songs, so far, but of these he isn't singing, just gargling!   I like the songs very much, with the exception of ERK, but his voice - no, I can't listen without the feeling I need to clear my throat! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
prolly the only one on here that really, really likes "Miss You Blues"....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
check out the whole album on itunes val. well worth it. right now Scarlett Town is my favorite song, but haven't heard all songs yet, was too tired last night.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
I really like Miss You Blues, but really really like:
Submariner, Seatlle, Radio City, Follow the Ribbon, Yon Two Crows  :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »
prolly the only one on here that really, really likes "Miss You Blues"....

Huh? Did you ignore ALL of my last 250 posts??  ;D You might like it, but I LOVE it! The things that seem to be so easy and lightweighted are sometimes the hardest things to do... Great guitar, great melody, great voice...

Has anyone noticed how GREAT Mark sings on Your Perfect Song? His voice has really some vibrato in it, seldom heard.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
check out the whole album on itunes val. well worth it. right now Scarlett Town is my favorite song, but haven't heard all songs yet, was too tired last night.

But I've heard "Scarlet Town" a few times now and his voice is croaky.   The only one of the five I can listen to is Narrow Way, but the song isn't so good as the rest imo.

btw Regarding "Miss You Blues" - I didn't like it at all from the snippets, but on the album, hearing it whole, it's one of my favourites!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
I haven't heard the Dylan album yet (should arrive soon), but from what I've heard (Dusquesne Whistle, Early Roman Kings, bits of Scarlet Town)

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
The whole Dylan album can be listened to here: http://songs.to/#!s=Tempest&c=album

Rail King: I agree it's not all about intensity, but Mark's output since STP has been extremely mellow. In my opinion, that mellowness sums up Mark as a person these days. I'm not saying it's only starving miserable artists that make good art, but that air of snugness and comfortability is not exactly a great catalyst for excitement.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
The whole Dylan album can be listened to here: http://songs.to/#!s=Tempest&c=album

Rail King: I agree it's not all about intensity, but Mark's output since STP has been extremely mellow. In my opinion, that mellowness sums up Mark as a person these days. I'm not saying it's only starving miserable artists that make good art, but that air of snugness and comfortability is not exactly a great catalyst for excitement.

You may have a point here. But I keep being amazed at how much emotion he packs into his best songs. Songs like "Fare thee well, Northumberland", "Old Pigweed", "Back to Tupelo", "True Love Will Never Fade" or "Seattle" bring me to tears. And that's quite an achievement, I think.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 41 queries.