Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite songs?  (Read 85323 times)

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Favourite songs?
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
Regarding Miss You Blues, it's actually the melody that I like about this song!  I know all about this "thing" and I'm not even going to say it, but the arrangement is so nice.  Is this just a coincidence that one of the few songs with a good melody on the album has it's origins elsewhere?  Is Mark still producing good melodies these days?  There isn't much to get my feet going and compared to previous albums it's tragically short.  In fact it's been getting that way over the last few records.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
Speaking of length - at the opposite side of the spectrum you've got Follow the ribbon at 8:08, where the last three minutes are just unidentifiable guitar and pedal steel solos on top of gently strummed acoustic guitars and accordion! That's worse than the Why Worry ending.

I must say, those that paid the extra cash for the deluxe version to get the bonus songs really got a bad deal.

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »
Speaking of length - at the opposite side of the spectrum you've got Follow the ribbon at 8:08, where the last three minutes are just unidentifiable guitar and pedal steel solos on top of gently strummed acoustic guitars and accordion! That's worse than the Why Worry ending.

I must say, those that paid the extra cash for the deluxe version to get the bonus songs really got a bad deal.

It's pretty weary, isn't it.  Perfect for insomniacs!  :lol

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
I haven't heard the bonus songs yet, sounds promising!  ;)

And dmg, does Mark Knopfler still produce good melodies these days? Erm, sorry? Haul Away, maybe? Privateering? Seattle? Kingdom of Gold? Dream of the Drowned Submariner? These are among the most melodic songs he's ever written, and easily among the greatest, too. You can bemoan anything in Mark's recent work, but certainly not a lack of melody!

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »

foma

« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »
By the way, at the moment most viewable chords on Ultimate Guitar is the chords for Haul Away.

Love Expresso

« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »
Ending of Why Worry: Great!
Follow The Ribbon: Great song, BECAUSE of this great long ending, repetitive, yes, but phantastic dreamy and I wish it would never end!

LE

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
Ending of Why Worry: Great!
Follow The Ribbon: Great song, BECAUSE of this great long ending, repetitive, yes, but phantastic dreamy and I wish it would never end!

LE

+10

I've never understood why the WW studio ending is quoted as "boring" by many
I like it very much.
Most of DS/MK sound and mood is based on ambience, atmosphere,  not necessarely adding solos

and Follow the Ribbon ending is great for dreaming or travelling don't you think  :)

I like music which bring prictures in my mind, and DS/MK music do this very well

If I want soaring-screaming guitar solos, I must admit than I don't listen to DS/MK first....

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
Yeah, but more than three minutes with going back and forth between two chords and melodic development? Probably great for yoga.

And it doesn't have to be screaming guitar solos to make things interesting.

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
I enjoy the long outro on WW too but it's actually interesting because of the brilliantly played drums on this part.  Follow the Ribbon is boring because of the sheer slow pace and lack of anything interesting going on (to me anyway).

Regarding melody, I do find these songs you mention as having a lack of melody personally.  Mark's songs are mostly driven by their lyrics these days.  Ask yourself:  when was the last time we had a good guitar riff or when was the last time you were tapping your feet to every song/almost every song on the album and you'll have to cast you're mind back.

Submariner and Haul Away are two of my most favourite on the album and I like them very much, but they don't have great melodies.  An album can get away with a few songs like this but nothing original at all?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:58:54 PM by dmg »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2012, 02:11:29 PM »
Yes agree.
the term "screaming" solos was maybe not appropriate, but what I wanted to say is that I don't listen DS/MK and e.g. SRV in the same purpose.

I must admit that if I want "tapping my feet", my first idea would not be DS/MK, I'd rather go for Stones, Hendrix, Lynyrd Synyrd, ZZ Top, who and so on.
When I put a DS/Mk CD on, I know it's more for "dreaming", relaxing, travelling, and of course mainly with late solo stuff.
I thinks his music fit very well when you're in train, or in car and watching landscapes, I guess you get the idea.

But when I go to work, on the highway, I find AC/DC more appropriate ;D

However, you're right, his latest work lacks sometimes some melody or some energy, but I'm not surprised when I listen to a new MK album, because I don't expect this anymore since many years. I know that old days are gone, so I don't put too much hope in his next albums, therefore, I'm never disapointed :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »
I like the melody of "Today Is Okay", even if it is "just another" blues song... But during the fade-out Mark plays a little lick that  gives the meldoy that I whistle  and have in my mind the last few days!

LE

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
However, you're right, his latest work lacks sometimes some melody or some energy, but I'm not surprised when I listen to a new MK album, because I don't expect this anymore since many years. I know that old days are gone, so I don't put too much hope in his next albums, therefore, I'm never disapointed :)

LOL

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
No outstanding tracks that you want to hear again several times on its own but for me no skippers either.Warming to the blues songs and hope he plays a couple live .Good mixture of jokey songs and gritty songs in there.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
I like the melody of "Today Is Okay", even if it is "just another" blues song... But during the fade-out Mark plays a little lick that  gives the meldoy that I whistle  and have in my mind the last few days!

LE

I know exactly what you mean - same here.

And sorry, I DO think Haul Away, Seattle etc. have great melodies. These songs sound like the definition of "great melody" to me. Great melodies are not to be confused with great guitar riffs. We have less of those, true, but there are some (Corned Beef, Gator Blood ...) These riff-driven songs are the ones I tap my feet to. I don't tap my feet to Seattle, true. I rub my eyes instead!  :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 45 queries.