Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite songs?  (Read 85334 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Favourite songs?
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
When I listen to the album in sequence, I am immediately struck that Don't Forget Your Hat comes too early in the playing order. At first I wasn't very keen on the song, but now I realise I actually like it a lot but that it just sounds 'wrong' to me because it comes where it does, as the third track. It seems to interupt the establishing flow of the first disk.

Yes totally agree.

But, as it has already said, I think that this "album" is more a collection of songs, rather than a one piece work.

So I pick some songs among this "collection", the ones I want to hear, depending on the mood.

I think that nowadays, the "album sequence" si no more important as it was 40 years ago.

During the 50s -90s, when people wanted to listen music, they had to put their vynils on their turntables and listen, and change the side. It was really a "sequence"

When CD appeared, then you could skipped easily a song, something not really easy on a turntable.

Now, you can make playlists on your computer, on your mp3 plyer, you can burn discs with songs that you like, in a different order, etc...

So, the order choosed by the artist (or the record company ?) isn't the order choosed by many listeners, as it was in the (good) old days.

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »
Kingdom of Gold definitely sounds like film music to me!    I love the choir effect, etc at the end, especially.  :).

I agree.  Kingdom of Gold could be the soundtrack for some beautiful epic film, i.e. Lord of the Rings. 
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »
Kingdom of Gold definitely sounds like film music to me!    I love the choir effect, etc at the end, especially.  :).

I agree.  Kingdom of Gold could be the soundtrack for some beautiful epic film, i.e. Lord of the Rings.

Talking about a banker with a lot of money and political power?

Can
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »

Talking about a banker with a lot of money and political power?

Can
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:04:56 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »
New music has arrived to my house (other genres) and gets some playing time on my stereo... so Privateering backs up a little... and what do I really miss?
I think this album has the lowest number of "deep" or "moving" songs ever. While I still listen to (the song) Get Lucky, Before Gas & TV, Border Reiver,
Monteleone, The Car Was The One..., it seems Privateering offers really MUCH beloved MK stuff... but really touching at the moment are only Go, Love and Submariner ... so that is a new quality of a new MK album for me... I rather would have prefered not to like ALL the songs at first listen and let them grow on me in the first weeks if you know what I mean... instead of that it all starts to wash out a little.

And:

Yon Two Crows definitely is a disappointment for me. I am not one of those guitar squallers, but this song SHOULD definitely have had a great guitar outro. The whole song is promising it, especially the great background guitar sound. And the folk part has a right to be there, fits in indeed, BUT should be echoed with the same melody played on an electric. Just my opinion, but this version just isn't working for me. Incomplete in my ears.

Favourites at the moment (which means "only songs played at the moment"):

Miss You Blues
Go, Love
I Used To Could
Dream Of The Drowned Submariner
Today Is Okay

and the fabulous Occupation Blues, which definitely should have been put onto the record, instead of one or two fillers.

Sorry for this lame post..

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
But I thought you really loved "Yon Two Crows" LE!    ???

At the moment, there is only one song I am passing on and that is "Gator Blood" because I just don't like the screeching slide guitar in the middle!   

Favourites?   Hard to say, but these at the moment:

Yon Two Crows
Seattle
Kingdom of Gold
Radio City Serenade
Dream of the Drowned Submariner
Today is OK
After the Beanstalk

Occupation Blues
River of Grog
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
Yon Two Crows definitely is a disappointment for me. I am not one of those guitar squallers, but this song SHOULD definitely have had a great guitar outro. The whole song is promising it, especially the great background guitar sound. And the folk part has a right to be there, fits in indeed, BUT should be echoed with the same melody played on an electric. Just my opinion, but this version just isn't working for me. Incomplete in my ears.

My image is that YTC was born to be another Silvertown blues, but MK decided to cut its wings at the very moment of the recording proccess...
Nevertheless, is one of my favourites from the album

My favs stand in from the first listenings
- Redbud Tree
- Miss You Blues
- Corned Beef City
- Yon Two Crows
- I Used to Could
- After the Bean Stalk

With the not so late addition of
- Go, Love
- Radio City Serenade
- Dream of the Drowned Submariner
- Your perfect song
Love over gold, mind over matter

Love Expresso

« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Val, I fell in love with the snippets from the first seconds (talking about Yon Two Crows). His voice sounds soo great, and the lyrics are fine, too. But as I said, after several listenings, I just miss the guitar - it is just not complete for me. That does not mean that it is a bad song of course.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »
Val, I fell in love with the snippets from the first seconds (talking about Yon Two Crows). His voice sounds soo great, and the lyrics are fine, too. But as I said, after several listenings, I just miss the guitar - it is just not complete for me. That does not mean that it is a bad song of course.

LE

I know what you mean but what do you expect these days. :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »

LE

Haha LE, you are allowed to change your mind, of course!   

When I was just listening to the snippets, before I had the album, in my head I had my own idea of how the songs would continue, but then when I heard the entire songs and they didn't continue the way I imagined, I was a little disappointed, but now I have forgotten about the snippets and everything is just fine - except for the slide solo on Gator Blood, of course!  That came as a shock to me, I must admit!    :o
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
Gator Blood seems to evoke a lot of discussion it seems (also at Guy's forum), I like that song, but no its beginning and the ending. MK is a master of great openings and intros, but on this one it sounds somewhat strangely cut... I know I am a bit crotchety today,  :lol, but it is high-level-moaning about a high quality album..

The rhythm section is doing a very good job generally, all these blues tracks sound very great in my opinion. I stay with it: Don't Forget Your Hat would be a pefect opener for any live show. With a little break (before a longer slide solo) where MK would have time to say hi to the audience and say a little bit...
All the blues songs have potential for some longer live guitar work. I probably won't happen, as MK uses to reproduce album tracks live on stage as close as possible these days it seems.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »
I like all of the blues songs now.  At first, I was unsure of "Don't Forget Your Hat" and I was certain I would skip it, but now I love it.  The same applies to "Blood & Water".  Another thing - on "Hot or What", MK's guitar on the solo sounds almost like a saxophone - I love that jazzy sound! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
Hi,

So many great comments here. Yes, " Occupation Blues " should have been on the album for sure. Like " Early Bird " should have been on the GL record. Sometimes it's hard to understand why these top songs doesn't make it for the records.  :-[

About " Gator Blood " I agree too. I really like the song, but why that awful solo twice in the song. When that sound comes, I must run to my hifi and turn down the volume. Why make such a mistake ?  :disbelief

I still think it's a wonderful album Mark made for us. Very very few tracks that I don't like. As someone said, it would have been nice with some more guitar work in the songs. For me that's a very important thing when it comes to MK. I still feel, that " Submariner " is the masterpiece of the whole album. Hard to describe it's beauty isn't it ?  :D

The song " Go, Love " is another favorite. I love the guitar on this one. Pure MK sound here. I really like " Yon Two Crows " too. I agree, that a guitar solo at the end should have been made.  ;D

The second disc is nice too. Better after some weeks listening. I enjoy all the songs from 4 " Used To Could " to 9 " Today Is Okay ". That's six in a row...........not bad at all  :D :D
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »
Hi,

So many great comments here. Yes, " Occupation Blues " should have been on the album for sure. Like " Early Bird " should have been on the GL record. Sometimes it's hard to understand why these top songs doesn't make it for the records.  :-[

About " Gator Blood " I agree too. I really like the song, but why that awful solo twice in the song. When that sound comes, I must run to my hifi and turn down the volume. Why make such a mistake ?  :disbelief

I still think it's a wonderful album Mark made for us. Very very few tracks that I don't like. As someone said, it would have been nice with some more guitar work in the songs. For me that's a very important thing when it comes to MK. I still feel, that " Submariner " is the masterpiece of the whole album. Hard to describe it's beauty isn't it ?  :D

The song " Go, Love " is another favorite. I love the guitar on this one. Pure MK sound here. I really like " Yon Two Crows " too. I agree, that a guitar solo at the end should have been made.  ;D

The second disc is nice too. Better after some weeks listening. I enjoy all the songs from 4 " Used To Could " to 9 " Today Is Okay ". That's six in a row...........not bad at all  :D :D

I must admit, I reach for the volume during Gator Blood when these solo's come!

I don't know where all this love is coming from for the song Go, Love though.  I think it's the worst on the record;  simple, cheesy, unoriginal lyrics and a deathly slow pace.  It's chronic.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
I go for the volume during these slide solos, too, to turn it UP!!!!

Go, Love is by far the coolest track MK has recorded in YEARS!!!

;D ;D ;D

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 47 queries.