Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark's lack of guitar driven songs  (Read 17346 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Re: Mark's lack of guitar driven songs
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »
I think the change to more melodic, less guitar driven songs is both forced and deliberate at the same time. It's obvious that Mark isn't half the virtuoso he used to be (just look here: ), but I also believe that he's tired of the - very limiting - guitar hero status and wants to prove himself as a songwriter. And he's one of the best songwriters going, no doubt.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »
Come on people, let the man grow old and as an artist. Its not 1985 anymore.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 02:10:28 AM »
Yep, but I guess we all expect a new ToL or TR in every new release.

And sometimes it seems it almost happened. I personally think that if MK would have waited (is this correct?, sorry, I'm too bad writting in English  ??? ??? ???) a little more, Hill Farmer's Blues and Yon Two Crows could be developed to stand side by side with the old classics.
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 02:14:44 AM »
Touring takes its toll due to all the traveling, same routine day in day out. Add to that Mark's back problems from two years ago, plus the fatigue on his body from his motercycle accident that cancelled the 2003 Ragpicker's Dream Tour, and you can see why he is starting his concerts with What It Is, the only fast guitar song on his set lists so far this tour. He gets that out of his system at the start, when he is fresh, follows it up with either Corned Beef City or Cleaning My Gun, another mid to fast tempo song, then the slower songs for the rest of the night. Also, people here are commenting that MK is not playing with Bob like in Europe. Is it possible that this is due to Mark's decision? Mark's reviews are excellent so far, so maybe he doesn't want to wear himself down playing with Bob, so that he has the energy for the next night. Just a theory of course, but it may fit the pattern.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »
I think the change to more melodic, less guitar driven songs is both forced and deliberate at the same time. It's obvious that Mark isn't half the virtuoso he used to be (just look here: ), but I also believe that he's tired of the - very limiting - guitar hero status and wants to prove himself as a songwriter. And he's one of the best songwriters going, no doubt.
Agreed...I think he grew tired of the whole 'guitar-god' thing. Granted he still obviously loves to play...he still sprinkles plenty of sublime but deliberate little riffs throughout his songs. I love the outro in "Blood and Water"..probably one of the best he's recorded of late. That being said...the whole of the song seems to be more important these days..the guitar riffs being an integral part..instead of being out in front. As far as not joining Bob on stage so far...I think it's merely due to a lack of an 'invitation' from Bob so far. If Bob asked Mark to step out and join him...you know he would without hesitation.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Love Expresso

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
The Songwriter stuff has growed over the last years... From "Oh, I love the guitar, but I also feel myself as a songwriter" in earlier years now he says "Guitar is only an instrument that helps me to write songs I am a songwriter in the first place".... However, the really great songwriting stuff was written in earlier years... The last albums lack a little of this high quality songwriting stuff...

LE

Offlinegeordie_60

• Local Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
The Songwriter stuff has growed over the last years... From "Oh, I love the guitar, but I also feel myself as a songwriter" in earlier years now he says "Guitar is only an instrument that helps me to write songs I am a songwriter in the first place".... However, the really great songwriting stuff was written in earlier years... The last albums lack a little of this high quality songwriting stuff...

LE

have to agree to disagree about the quality of the recent songs. his recent albums have shown he has become even more of a great song writer. his last two albums GL and P show a superb marriage between simple chord arrangment and incisive lyrics. this is a skill very few people can master. less is more!  i wouldnt care if i never heard TOL, BIA, SS, RAJ ever again. these songs are living in the past.

Love Expresso

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
 ;)

I was more thinking about One Last Matinee, 5.15am, Devil Baby, Secondary Waltz... stuff that I would call great song writing... so it is a little easy to say in earlier years he was a guitar hero and today he is more of a songwriter. He always used to write great stuff, with our without guitar hero status....

I find some of his recent stuff too lightweighted, Not deep enough etc....

What you say about "less is more" is a valid thought of course, one I should think about more...

(What's better than a little MK discussion on an early Sunday morning...  ;D )

LE
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:24:20 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
LE +1

I hate to admit it, but i have been keeping my opinion to myself, because I didn't want to spoil the good mood. But I think that apart from expectations that were too high anyway (and they always include guitar driven songs) the level of songwriting is not up there with the previous albums, not even KTGC. I don't know if  further listening will change this feeling, but I, sort of, avoid listening to it.  It is not, I believe, a matter of one or two CDs. After all, both CDs are nearly 90 minutes, so with the CD standards, only 2-3 songs more than one CD. (I know that is not the way to count an album, but still...)
The posh production doesn't hep either. I mean it is fantastic to be able to listen to such detail, but then there is the matter of actual songs.
The problem IMO, is that we have the very first MK album that his songs are more ordinary. They have refrains that take up most of the song and are the strong part of the song. In the past we had some examples, but most of his songs were structured in a different way.  And they are mellow like Barry Manilow. I don't say it as a bad thing, I say this is not MK.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinegeordie_60

• Local Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »
;)

I was more thinking about One Last Matinee, 5.15am, Devil Baby, Secondary Waltz... stuff that I would call great song writing... so it is a little easy to say in earlier years he was a guitar hero and today he is more of a songwriter. He always used to write great stuff, with our without guitar hero status....

I find some of his recent stuff too lightweighted, hot deep enough etc....

What you say about "less is more" is a valid thought of course, one I should think about more...

(What's better than a little MK discussion on an early Sunday morning...  ;D )

LE

maybe i find the words these days a more attractive proposition than the lick or the riff.  the words to remembrance day, get lucky, yon two crows, so far from the clyde to name but a few are poignant, reflective and deeply moving. his lyrical style is at once engaging and has the skill of the novelist such as graeme green or george orwell. the idea of being able to express ideas in plain language is indeed a gift. mk can say in a few words what other songwriters could never achieve. god this sounds like one of my university essays from 30 years ago!!!             ha ha!!!!!

Love Expresso

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, you put perfectly well in words what I like so much about MK's songwriting! And I am not a guitar solo junkie at all. It is only that I don't find these skills too much on Privateering. (Grahame Greene, George Orwell, very well chosen from you). And it might be coincidence, but the songs you listed as an example are all apart from Yon Two Crows NOT from Privateering  ;D

His lyrics are, as said before, very very important to me. "to express ideas in plain language is indeed a gift", your words, I couldn't agree more. But WHAT he expresses on Privateering is, from MY point of view, too arbitrary.

But as Vgonis already mentioned in his post, I also do not want to spoil the album for anyone, and the music itself is still great, so maybe I just should play it again today, (first time after three weeks). I might come to a new, fresh, changes conclusion after all!!!

LE

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Mark's songwrighting has always been superb. The songs that are special to me are the ones that touch the soul, either through the lyrics or guitar. You''ll know what I mean when you get either goosebumps and/or tears in the eyes! Those songs that come to mind include Iron Hand, Don't You Get It, Shangrila, Are We In Trouble Now, Piper To The End, Where Do You Think Your Going, Speedway, Silvertown Blues, Praire Wedding, and so many more. Follow The Ribbon is right up there too :D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
occupation blues anyone? also the perfect song to me is just that, the perfect song...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePixelPerfect

• Local Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 02:38:50 AM »
Going back to the first post about the selection of songs to perform on this tour... I think that, after seeing that clip of Yon Two Crows from the other thread, we can safely add +1 to the guitar-driven songs on this current tour  ;)

Offlinecommunique

• Local Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 02:49:04 AM »
Going back to the first post about the selection of songs to perform on this tour... I think that, after seeing that clip of Yon Two Crows from the other thread, we can safely add +1 to the guitar-driven songs on this current tour  ;)
Yes sir! From viewing this short clip, this live version of Yon Two appears to kick some serious ass! I can't wait to see it in Toronto and Montreal!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 44 queries.