Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark's lack of guitar driven songs  (Read 17353 times)

Offlinecommunique

• Local Hero
Mark's lack of guitar driven songs
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:59:19 PM »
I think that some of us are being a little too hard on Mark for his song selections and lack of guitar solos during this current tour. Lets be honest, Mark is in his sixties and we will never see the Alchemy-like guitar solos again. In fact, I'm not sure that Mark is physically cabable of doing that on a nightly basis any more. Being at the age he is, it is very likely that his fingers are starting to slow and the aches and pains are creeping in. I heard Eric Clapton say about himself in a recent interview that he can no longer play guitar the way he used to be able to. What I find remarkable is that Mark's song writing continues to evolve and is better than ever, as is his singing. I believe it's inevitable that the guitar abilities will diminish with time.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Mark's lack of guitar driven songs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:20:57 AM »
Think I agree....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:48:32 AM »
Although Guy loyally denies it, I think that it is a distinct possibility. I'm nearly 57 & my hands are starting to show signs of Arthritis & Tendonitis which is affecting my playing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mark's hands are starting to suffer and that would definitely affect his ability to play fast extended solos night after night.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:52:17 AM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Mona Dee

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:35:54 AM »
I think that some of us are being a little too hard on Mark for his song selections and lack of guitar solos during this current tour. Lets be honest, Mark is in his sixties and we will never see the Alchemy-like guitar solos again. In fact, I'm not sure that Mark is physically cabable of doing that on a nightly basis any more. Being at the age he is, it is very likely that his fingers are starting to slow and the aches and pains are creeping in. I heard Eric Clapton say about himself in a recent interview that he can no longer play guitar the way he used to be able to. What I find remarkable is that Mark's song writing continues to evolve and is better than ever, as is his singing. I believe it's inevitable that the guitar abilities will diminish with time.

When I see close-ups of Mark`s hands , I`m always astonished : they look like hands of a young man! But I agree with you, I`m afraid that  he may have aged-related problems with his fingers. But his voice is better than ever ! :D

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »
Even though some classic guitar players perform excellent well into their 80ies, their peak is surely past them. I guess it is not only the body but how the brain works as well. Maybe I will sound a bit heretic, but I am past my guitar hero phase, so may I suggest that he gets a couple of these fantastic young guitarists to play the solos and add to the sound?  Maybe the turn to other musical idioms in  his songwriting, doesn't only has to do with the "going back to the roots" thing, but also with the way you play the guitar which needs precision but relatively less complex patterns.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:45:39 AM »
I also agree but his catalog is vast enough to provide different "relaxing" songs from time to time.

Mona Dee

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
Even though some classic guitar players perform excellent well into their 80ies, their peak is surely past them. I guess it is not only the body but how the brain works as well. Maybe I will sound a bit heretic, but I am past my guitar hero phase, so may I suggest that he gets a couple of these fantastic young guitarists to play the solos and add to the sound?  Maybe the turn to other musical idioms in  his songwriting, doesn't only has to do with the "going back to the roots" thing, but also with the way you play the guitar which needs precision but relatively less complex patterns.

A little heretic  ;D, a LOT I think  ;D . Imagine : MK on stage,and when it comes to a solo, he goes some steps backwards and someone else plays HIS solos  :o NOOO, I don`t want to see that. I would prefer slower songs, if he is not able to play the guitar as fast as in former times. Am I old-fashioned ?

But...maybe he just doesn`t like the faster songs anymore.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »
Somebody called the Spanish inquisition!  ;D Oh, I understand, but it is MK who doesn't care for the guitar hero thing as well. But the older songs' appeal has much to do with guitar virtuosity, and concert goers would really like to listen to these songs (TOL, etc). I have seen Peter Green do it, even with his 70ies solo albums, when he called other guitarists, like Snowy White. And I think that Nigel Watson plays most of the parts in his live shows. I don't mind, really,  he has the voice, he will obviously play the signature guitar parts and well, maybe he will become a bit competitive and write and perform some new guitar based songs .

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
Agree with all that has been said here.

I will just add that don't we all agree that Mark's songwriting has really gone from strength to strength and each song has so much meaning - almost like they have their own little story. The voice has greatly improved since he stopped smoking and maybe also it is because he has so much passion for what he has doing now. 
Guitar playing wise yes agree we won't perhaps see the Sultans/Telegraph road 'fast lick' solo as like on the OES tour but I think personally he has changed his direction in that he actually makes the guitar 'Sing' nowadays albeit a bit slower but I think the guitar certainly accompanies his singing better if you know what I mean.
Some people may disagree with me but I will be biased (of course) but I love the sound of the Mark and his Fender MK strat as it certainly sounds good along side a lot of what he is doing now.
Remember also one of Mark's main influences was Hank B Marvin and I can now hear a lot of him in Mark's phrasing.
Of course we still get a bit of 'fast' phrasing during his solo's now and again - well to me that is good enough for me, Mark is still my favourite guitarist!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
I don't think it's about the fact that he's 63, as he always says, he uses guitars for writing songs ! I think it's not about technics, because when you listen to a song like Marbletown, Hill farmer's blues, Speedway or telegraphe road and R&J, believe me, it's still there and maybe more beautiful than ever. I prefer those version then Alchemy's version...  Dire Straits is done, another time, another place !
It's all about wrinting songs and telling stories with beautiful guitar touch, unique and timeless.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Mona Dee

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
Somebody called the Spanish inquisition!  ;D Oh, I understand, but it is MK who doesn't care for the guitar hero thing as well. But the older songs' appeal has much to do with guitar virtuosity, and concert goers would really like to listen to these songs (TOL, etc). I have seen Peter Green do it, even with his 70ies solo albums, when he called other guitarists, like Snowy White. And I think that Nigel Watson plays most of the parts in his live shows. I don't mind, really,  he has the voice, he will obviously play the signature guitar parts and well, maybe he will become a bit competitive and write and perform some new guitar based songs .

Hmmm, yes, I think you are right in writing, that MK doesn

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »
I'm quite sure he can still perform at a high level - you don't just lose it overnight.  He played better and more energetic than he did in years on the last tour in 2011 after all.  As he isn't in the first signs of youth any more it is wise as Tunnel85 suggested to intersperse the faster songs with slower, easier to play ones (to relieve the strain).

I have noticed on the clip of I Used to Could that old Coxy is being used to give Mark a little relief in that song with his own extended solos and perhaps that will be going on in many others too and with other band members.

I don't agree his singing is better though.  True, it is less rough sounding but is that a good thing?  It has less character now.  He also now sings with a lot less emotion than he used to;  just listen to earlier versions of R&J or SoS.  The more emotional vocal clearly lifts the song and makes the current versions sound dull by comparison.  Now don't get me going about how his songwriting has degenerated... ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
dmg I totally  agree with you (on the voice matter, glad someone else spotted it too)  but I was just suggesting! ;)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
sometimes there's clues that he STILL CAN play at a high level : onTV shows like guitar stories, or the one he gave some lessons 2 years ago (can't remember the programm) he often play fast chicken picking lics like he used to do back in early DS days.
I can't remeber exactly what it was, but I heard him playing this style recently, and I thought :" why don't he play that way on his records ?"

I guess it's because he doesn't want to, not because he can't

just my 2 cents

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
What I find remarkable is that Mark's song writing continues to evolve and is better than ever, as is his singing.

I have to disagree, on both counts.  He is no doubt more prolific in his writing, in that he is churning out more songs  but I don't think the songs are as good.  Quantity does not equal quality.  Also, as time goes by, he seems to be writing more of what I would call impressionistic lyrics, where you don't really know what the song is about.

I don't agree his singing is better though.  True, it is less rough sounding but is that a good thing?  It has less character now.  He also now sings with a lot less emotion than he used to;  just listen to earlier versions of R&J or SoS.  The more emotional vocal clearly lifts the song and makes the current versions sound dull by comparison. 

Agree with this completely.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 44 queries.