Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Who Are You? Who Who Who Who?  (Read 11874 times)

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
Who Are You? Who Who Who Who?
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:16:22 AM »
Gotta share some fun stuff!

Last night, The Who were playing at The Palace of Auburn Hills, near Detroit.....one of my husband's and my favorite bands-EVAH! In addition to DS (of course)! Much as we wanted to go, the economy (our economy) prevented us from purchasing tix.....

The Story:

Gerry has been working and become friends with a photographer-Tom Wright-who is a very close friend of Pete Townshend's. Tom and Pete met in London, back in the old days, while both were in art school. They became good friends. During this time, Pete was forming The Who with Roger Daltry and John Entwistle. Keith Moon joined the band later. Tom, being an aspiring and very talented photographer, captured the early days of The Who. He moved back to the States and when The Who started the concert circuit over here, Pete invited Tom to join them and he eventually became their tour manager, albeit briefly. He subsequently toured with The Who several times, taking photos and chronicling their rise to fame. Tom and Pete remain close, to this day.

Several months ago, Gerry (who co-owns a digital imaging business) was approached by someone who knew Tom and wanted to help him catalog and print the bazillion film negatives which Tom has in his possession. Long story short, my DH and Tom hit it off and became friends. Tom also published a book-ROAD WORK-which chronicles his adventures with The Who, The Small Faces (Rod Stewart) and Joe Walsh (The Eagles). This is an amazing book of fabulous personal photos and Tom's experiences in the 60's (which mirror many of our own-if we can remember them). It's truly a wonderful book.

Fast forward to yesterday....

Tom called Gerry and wanted him to deliver some prints to the concert venue-so that Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend could sign them. He also suggested that he might be able to get him a backstage pass for the concert. My darling husband said "On one condition:that my wife be able to accompany me". I love my DDH! Tom said he didn't know if he could get 2 backstage passes, but he would try. GULP!!!!! We got to The Palace of Auburn Hills at around 5 PM and were able to park, for free (!), in the VIP section, with a parking pass provided by Tom. He was also able to procure 2 backstage passes for us.

We wandered past security guards and magic doors, proudly wearing our passes. We saw trunks with "The Who" printed on their sides. We got to wander, at will, up and down backstage corridors, all the while getting smiles and greetings from various security personnel. We stood next to the stage, looked at and took pix (on my iphone) of Pete's guitars. We saw Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend as they wandered in and out of their dressing rooms. We got to see the various roadies and guitar techs do their thing. We sat 30-50 feet from the stage, in premium seats and got to hear and see The Who! LIVE!!!!! WOO WHOO! It cost us dinner, gas and a Who sweatshirt! We got out of the VIP parking at a humongous venue in about 5 minutes!

WOWIE! I'm still pinching myself.....Wish I'd had my camera with me-iphone pix will have to do. Check 'em out!

http://picasaweb.google.com/gbobmi/THEWHO#
arse ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Who Are You? Who Who Who Who?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:54:59 AM »
AWESOME!!!!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:09:36 AM »
Thanks, Pottel! It was a dream!

Here's the setlist . I sang and danced along with every song (when I wasn't sitting-because my 58 year old back and feet were killing me-how do these guys do it?)!!!!! I am so impressed!!! At one point, while we were hanging out backstage, Roger's assistant summoned him to the massage therapist for a pre-show muscle manipulation. Roger walked past us with his bodyguards and an assistant (we acted bored and nonchalant while screaming inside-"WE'RE 3 FEET FROM ROGER DALTREY!!!!!) HELLLOOOOO!!!!!" I guess if I had a massage therapist on call I would be a rock star, too! OK. Maybe I would at least be more excited to get outta bed in the morning!

SET LIST:
I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Getting In Tune
Fragments
Who Are You?
Behind Blue Eyes
Tattoo
Baba O'Reilly
Relay
Sister Disco
Mike Post Theme
Eminence Front
Love Reign O'er Me
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again

ENCORES:
Magic Bus
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
See Me/Feel Me
Tea and Theatre
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:02:50 AM by gbobmi »
arse ;D

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »
Gayle, congratulations on a great night. This seems like a dream come true, and I am happy for you. Hope it makes up some for missing MK's tour last summer.
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

draad

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »
What a great story! :)

You should start another drool thread - this time for Gerry! I think most lady forumers would agree that you have a v thoughtful and special husband there.

Roger Daltry used to own a Trout Fishery near here.  He would often appear at the Lakeside to chat whilst you were trying to cast a nice line out to one of his trout. I always found that his appearance at my shoulder sent my casting out the window! Nice ordinary guy. Big rock star but a bit of a shorty in real life!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
I'm so glad you had a great time, Gayle!  What an amazing thing to happen!   :D  Congrats!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »
WOW Cool!

thanks for sharing!

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »
Excellent result Gayle ;)

Any pics of you & Gerry with the band ????? :o Dont tell us that you passed that opportunity up ::) ::)

What a pic this would be,just imagine this, both yourself & Gerry getting a massage from Roger Daltry  :P :P
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:06:53 AM »
Green - my color - on reading your post gbobmi. Just love the Who. That whole era more like!!

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »
Excellent result Gayle ;)

Any pics of you & Gerry with the band ????? :o Dont tell us that you passed that opportunity up ::) ::)

What a pic this would be,just imagine this, both yourself & Gerry getting a massage from Roger Daltry  :P :P

No pics with the band, WM...we were busy acting bored and looking like we supposed to be there. Pics of Roger and Pete would've given us away! Massage from Roger? NAH! He'd be too short to reach the massage table (*giggle*).

I did post a link to the pics I took with my iphone: http://picasaweb.google.com/gbobmi/THEWHO#

Check 'em out!
arse ;D

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »
What a great story! :)

You should start another drool thread - this time for Gerry! I think most lady forumers would agree that you have a v thoughtful and special husband there.

Roger Daltry used to own a Trout Fishery near here.  He would often appear at the Lakeside to chat whilst you were trying to cast a nice line out to one of his trout. I always found that his appearance at my shoulder sent my casting out the window! Nice ordinary guy. Big rock star but a bit of a shorty in real life!

Great story, Gastroman!

I have my own, personal drool thread for Gerry. LOL! He's a sweetie....;D
arse ;D

Offlinejacki

• Camerado
  • once upon a time in the West
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 04:17:40 AM »
Good for you, Gayley! The Good Guys win again!  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 42 queries.