Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK on "Objects of Desire"  (Read 4044 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
MK on "Objects of Desire"
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »
If this has appeared elsewhere on AMIT or whatever, I apologise.

Tomorrow evening (Tuesday, 23 July) at 8.00 pm (British Summer Time), Mariella Frostrup will start a new series entitled "Objects of Desire". The brief blurb in RADIO TIMES (the BBC radio and TV listings magazine) says, "Mariella Frostrup examines what drives people's passion for material goods".

Just by chance, earlier today, I caught an advert for the programme on TV. I was reading at the time and not really watching the screen (I tend to ignore adverts) but I'm pretty sure a clip of Mark and a picture of a red guitar sped by, in a series of faces and objects. It looks like MK will be on this programme some time.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Re: MK on "Objects of Desire"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »
nice find TWM, hes on it tomorrow night.
http://skyarts.sky.com/objects-of-desire

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:19:56 AM »
Thanks for the hint, could someone record this please?
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
Wooohoooo - well done for spotting that, roll on 8pm!! ;)
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »
Typical.  How often is MK on TV and I'm going on holiday in the morning!  Think I'll cancel. :think
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
Typical.  How often is MK on TV and I'm going on holiday in the morning!  Think I'll cancel. :think

Have a great holiday dmg!    :wave     I probably won't see it either - we'll be at an airport hotel tonight!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »

Have a great holiday dmg!    :wave     I probably won't see it either - we'll be at an airport hotel tonight!    :)

You too Val - and enjoy the concert. :wave
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
Only watched the opening part so far. The whole MK segment is under 10 minutes long but you get quite a bit less of MK than that, as it is intercut with clips of other guitarists, Mariela Frostrup's comments on "boys' toys" and so on. The actual MK bit is really quite short and, though I'm not the MK expert here, I don't think he says anything new.

For those who haven't been there, it starts with MF walking down the street called British Grove and going through a wooden door into the studio complex itself. MK is in a sort of conference room and there are several guitars ranged along the wall behind him. Also in the background is what seemed to me to be the original painting (I assume it's the original) of the KTGC cover art - and it's pretty big. If I'm wrong, please don't be hard on me.

Apparently, the various "boys" have also agreed to donate their selected "toy" to a charity auction.  MK signs the guitar in question whilst being interviewed.

At the end of the opening segment, MF exits through the wooden street door again, this time viewed from the opposite direction, so that you can see traffic passing along the A4 Great Western Road in the background. This is the road one would most likely use if driving to the Royal Albert Hall or the Hammersmith Apollo from Heathrow or the south-west generally.

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
Perfectly well summed up, twm, thank you very much. You are right about the painting indeed, it's the original.

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:50 AM »
I am not a guitar nut but, I found it interesting that the Stratocaster name was inspired by an aircraft. I didn't express that quite right but I'll press on. I assume the aircraft was the Stratocruiser, though that was never a very elegant looking aircraft ( http://www.aviation-history.com/boeing/377.html ) so it must have been the name alone and the fact that air travel (trans-Atlantic air travel, in particular) was regarded as very glamourous in those days.

I well remember the Pan Am and BOAC Stratocruisers at Heathrow or LAP, as it was known back then (LAP for London Airport). Quite apart from their bulbous shape (they were double-deckers - nothing's new), they were lumbering beasts that often seemed to (or maybe had to) land first on their nosewheels - that is before the main wheels hit the deck. Inelegant, maybe, but I remember them fondly.

Now to Guy Fletcher. A more attractive plane than the Stratocruiser at the time was the Super Constellation, as shown on one of Guy''s diary pages [ http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk/index.php/2013mkeuro/22nd_July_2013_-_Saint_Julien_en_Genevois ]. I assume that this example was on the ground at Geneva when they got there, because Guy offers no explanation of its inclusion that I can find. Here's the plane: http://www.conniesurvivors.com/N73544.htm

Unlike the Strat (and, yes, that's what they were often called), the Super Connie looked absolutely wonderful in the air. With a long cigar-shaped but attractively curved fuselage and its triple fins, it had long nosewheel undercarriage that made it look rather like a long-legged bird (tail and all) as it came in to land.  Many years ago, I recall Roger McGuinn, of The Byrds, waxing lyrical about the Super Constellation in some interview and, by golly, he was right.

The Super Connie more closely matched the curves of a Stratocaster but maybe the name was not quite right.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »
Thanks guys, watching now.

Will record and upload at some point.  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »
It was good to see Mark and one of his 'signature' editions but again it was well under 10 mins. There were a couple of licks played on the guitar of course.... ;)
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »
Thanks guys, watching now.

Will record and upload at some point.  :)

Thanks Dusty
Did you uploaded the books programme also with MK and Mariella Fostrup? I recall you said you recorded it too but I cant remember if you uploaded it or not.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
Not yet, well put them both on the same disc.  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Not yet, well put them both on the same disc.  :)

Great, I truly enjoy that tv shows, as a Spanish always trying to improve my English, you can understand that watching that shows always help me at least to improve my ears ;)

I think that there is another tv show of Mk with Mariella F. so if you have it and can add it too, I will appreciate it a lot.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.