Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Private gig in Scottsdale  (Read 35402 times)

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
Re: Private gig in Scottsdale
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
And now I want to know the full setlist of the show...  ::)

EDIT: think I found another interesting setlist.. September 27th: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mark-knopfler/2013/bridport-arts-centre-bridport-england-7bc702b4.html

Check out this topic if you want to know about the event on September 27th
http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php/topic,3268.msg73479.html#msg73479

This baker's boy from the West Country

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
Here is a little video of sultans... :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 09:25:44 AM »
Sold out.  If you want the good songs you've got to be a millionaire VIP. >:(

And by "good" songs you mean DS songs?    :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
Best BIA in years.  Seems like a great gig, whatever it was for.

So true! A really great version!
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:40 AM »

LOL

+1

My point was that the Ds songs are for when someone pays for it  :lol
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 10:24:28 AM »
Bahhh! You people! I think this is the definition of addiction. Wanting the same things over and over again!

He always has the right to say yes or no, for either private gigs or for tours or even for reunions.  But he also knows that when he says yes, he has to take requests, for all three cases! If his tours were met with indifference and he saw half empty places, he would probably think of bringing back some DS songs, or quit touring altogether, or play smaller venues if it is economically viable...

I know it sounds weird (anybody coins for the word ethics, here?) but it hardly the case. He is proud for his older songs but the purpose of a tour is to please the audience AND promote the most current work. Now that he has more records as MK than DS, it would be peculiar to play the old songs and bury the new ones. Some more old songs have to go, since a new double record is out (in America quite recently) The purpose of a private gig is to play his famous songs. Let's not jump to conclusions. After all he offers so much and yet we can never be pleased. (I know I am, and I have only seen him just once live in 2008). 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
Leaves me wondering, if you pay enough, will you even get songs he hasn't played live ever during his solo carreer, the entire Love over Gold album for example?

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
Hugo,nice idea, let's all of us fans get together and raise the money to do so. I would have done it alone if I had the money and of course invite all of you!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
Guy doesn't mention this show in his diary. He jumps from the rehearsals to the Long Beach show.

Interesting he hides this private concert. He would be annoyed when finds we know about it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »

Obviously!  The ones where he has to play guitar on instead of having us listen to some folk musicians instead.  Part, if not all of the MK/DS sound (and what makes him so great) is the unique guitar/vocal combo and having Mike and John disrupting that so much really annoys me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:03:05 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »

Obviously!  The ones where he has to play guitar on instead of having us listen to some folk musicians instead.  Part, if not all of the MK/DS sound (and what makes him so great) is the unique guitar/vocal combo and having Mike and John disrupting that so much really annoys me.

That doesn't mean that MK solo songs are not "good" songs!   Quite the opposite, they are extremely good songs.  In fact some of my favourite songs don't have very much guitar in them at all - it's more the song that counts for me these days!     Maybe it's because he is older and has had to adjust to his fingers not being so nimble as when he was younger, but that's inevitable due to age!   It also means that he has looked to the future and has written songs that will enable him to carry on with his career longer.  I applaud him!   :clap
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »

That doesn't mean that MK solo songs are not "good" songs!   Quite the opposite, they are extremely good songs.  In fact some of my favourite songs don't have very much guitar in them at all - it's more the song that counts for me these days!     Maybe it's because he is older and has had to adjust to his fingers not being so nimble as when he was younger, but that's inevitable due to age!   It also means that he has looked to the future and has written songs that will enable him to carry on with his career longer.  I applaud him!   :clap
[/quote]

I agree that they aren't not good songs (if that makes any sense :hmm) but surely the ace in Mark's hand is his guitar playing?  That is something unique and separates him from anybody else, so does his rough, low key vocal delivery.  This combination has always been his stock in trade and what has turned on millions of people to the MK sound.  Without this unique, and I repeat unique combination he would be nothing.  With it he is brilliant.  Add on his songwriting ability and he's a superhero!  But when if he totally stopped playing guitar do you honestly think he would still be selling albums and touring on his vocal and songs alone? :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »

I agree that they aren't not good songs (if that makes any sense :hmm) but surely the ace in Mark's hand is his guitar playing?  That is something unique and separates him from anybody else, so does his rough, low key vocal delivery.  This combination has always been his stock in trade and what has turned on millions of people to the MK sound.  Without this unique, and I repeat unique combination he would be nothing.  With it he is brilliant.  Add on his songwriting ability and he's a superhero!  But when if he totally stopped playing guitar do you honestly think he would still be selling albums and touring on his vocal and songs alone? :)
[/quote]

I don't expect he will ever give up the guitar completely - I never said that, but he will eventually have to adapt his songs, due to the inevitable fact that he is getting older and his fingers won't be the same as they were when he was in his 30's and I see this happening with recent albums more and more!   

I just feel fortunate to be still seeing MK perform.   The last tour was fantastic and I hope he will be still around for a few more tours.   I am a fan and hope I will be a fan for a very, very long time - until one of us falls over!   ;D  Meanwhile I am not wasting time and energy wishing for things that aren't likely to happen!   I'm just thankful for what we've got right now!   :)   

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 02:36:21 PM »
Hugo,nice idea, let's all of us fans get together and raise the money to do so. I would have done it alone if I had the money and of course invite all of you!

vgonis, I love the fundraising idea. I'm good at it. Been doing it for years for my kids' schools.  If we could get a bunch of dedicated MK fans together, organize a private gig, then we should be able to get MK to play what we want to hear.  TOL for me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »
Leaves me wondering, if you pay enough, will you even get songs he hasn't played live ever during his solo carreer, the entire Love over Gold album for example?

All the songs from the LOG Album have been played live!!!  :clap

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 39 queries.