Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's gig  (Read 17631 times)

draad

Re: Guy's gig
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »
Val - I'm not in any of the pics - so I will be your Inglenook guess who!

Dusty - get ur ass in the car and b there! GG may not have as many guitars as you but I think he probably plays the few he has with skills that you can only dream of! :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
Sorry Arthur, I presumed it was you in the first picture with your son and Nelly!  We will have to wear a badge with our name on, or carry a rose, perhaps in your case, a thistle!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:08:38 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »
Arthur has been playing with the pics, enjoy!

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 06:02:04 PM »
 8)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »
Great pictures Arthur!

It is 9.31 pm (UK time 8.31) and that means that Guy and Danny just started their performance with the Garry Grainger Blues Band! 

I envy Val and the other fans who have the possibility to be there this evening! I want to be there too, I want to sing, dance, scream, applaud, fall on my knees in front of Guy and Danny
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

draad

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 07:31:05 PM »
The GGBB gig at the Inglenook on Saturday was not as it should have been.  :(

GG took to the stage but was unable to play any meaningful part in the gig. It looked for all the world like he was stoned on something, but perhaps he wasn't, and there was another explanation for his difficulties. Whatever the reason, I wish him well, because he is a mean guitarist when he is up for it, and I do hope his performance on Saturday does not spell the end for a great band that takes great music to fans in small venues.

As Gary was out of it, the other band members had to step up to the plate and give it their all. Peter Hope-Evans, William Topley, and Guy, all took the lead at various points throughout the set and Guy's son Max came on stage and played rythm guitar on the last few numbers. He was good, seemed relaxed,  and obviously enjoyed  the occassion. Well done to him!

At the end, the band members were once again happy to mix and chat with the fans. So, even though the night should have been a lot better, it was still good to have been there - and it was nice to meet Val for the first time.

draad

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:22 AM »
The fact that it was on a Friday is neither here nor there. ;)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
Ouch, doesn't sound good.

I hope for his sake that GG was just a bit under the weather and it wasn't "sel inflicted"  ::).

Probably just as well I didn't make the trip down.  ;)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
Just read Dr Fletch, seems it was "self induced" after all.  :-\

Brings to mind that comment that MK made in an interview (Q magazine maybe?) where he said that he gets really pissed off with people disrespecting their talent, not giving it their all and the rest is all "alcohol and shopping".

And of course we were just talking about Gerry Rafferty's problems, and John Martyn passed away prematurely as well...

Funny that Guy heard your comment before they started playing though Arthur! Was GG falling around onstage?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »
Hi everyone!  I have just returned from my short weekend at the gig, etc.   

In spite of Gary being "under the weather", we had a great time at the gig.  It was a very sad sight, though, to see a great performer unable to play, or even stand up.  The band was magnificent, however, and between them, played Gary's guitar parts.  One of the stars of the show, though, was Max Fletcher, who did a wonderful opening act and played one of my favourite Dylan songs "Mr Tambourine Man" and some of his own compositions.  He then did a great job and joined the rest of the band on stage.  I feel he has a great future in music!   BTW I was absolutely mesmerised by the harmonica player, Peter Hope Evans, who was absolutely amazing!

Some of the other highlights for me were meeting Guy and Danny!  They were both so friendly and down-to-earth.  Danny came and sat at our table and had a drink with us (and some of my chips!) and actually remembered us both from Newcastle!  Guy was just as I expected, I was not disappointed!

It was also lovely to meet Arthur and his wife and friends.  It's nice to put a face to the names on the forum.  Thanks Arthur!

Dusty:  "Was GG falling around onstage?"   -   Yes, unfortunately.   :(   He was "Rollin' and Tumblin'"  LOL  :o

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:40:02 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
wonder when we see the first "sons of" live on stage together....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »
Oh Oh,I just read Guys forum page as well & he doesn't seem too happy with GG >:( >:(

" we all hope he chooses NOW to seek the necessary help"

hopefully for himself,his family & his friends he does :( :(

If it aint broke dont fix it!

Rollergirl

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
just looked at Arthur's pics again and, at the risk of sounding like a boring old tart  ;D :
Doesn't "Fletch the younger" look exactly like his dad!!??

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
Val and Draad I am sorry to hear that the gig wasn't what it should have been. I read the message at Guy's forum and it is a pity that one member of the band spoiled it for the others and the fans! :o Reading the comment of Guy tells that Guy wasn't "amused" either and he is right about that, after all they do their best to have a great time playing together!  ;D It is good to hear that Max was a good guitar player and fit well in the group!

It is great that Draad and Val were able to meet, I am sure you and your partners and friends had a great time together. I also hope to meet Val and other fans again next year or even if possible earlier! ;)

I am also glad to hear that despite the stupid action of GG,  the evening was a big success. I can imagine that meeting Danny and Guy was the highlight of the evening.  ;D

Quote Rollergirl: "Doesn't "Fletch the younger" look exactly like his dad!!??"

I have seen the pics of Draad before, but I don't see the link anymore! .................Roller where did you see the pics of Max?

Fieneke

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:02:23 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
Fieneke, One of the highlights definitely was meeting Guy and Danny - Arthur also, of course!   ;D

Hmm - Arthur's pics have disappeared!   :(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:24:32 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 46 queries.