Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Post-tour blues, anyone?  (Read 8839 times)

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
Post-tour blues, anyone?
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
So, the mini-tour is over and I am back in the real world of work, deadlines, bills, kids, laundry, groceries etc etc. That stuff is normal any other time but right now I've got the post-tour blues...real bad. Can't get the shows out of my mind, nor the time shared with so many great people. Can't help play the music, but it hurts if I do. Can't focus on work, don't want to do anything. But I haven't lost my appetite, so I guess I don't need to see the doctor yet.

What probably made it worse was the fact that 60 seconds after the last show ended in Oakland, I had to run and catch a train to the airport. There were hugs and tears all around the front row and a bit of decompression with AMIT gang would have done me good, but I just had to go. Walking down the train station steps, alone in a crowd of people...it wasn't fun....and then the long flight home. At this point, all I want is to be on the road again, go from one show to another and be in MK's presence every day. Can't wait for 2015.

Anyway...just wanted to put this out there because I know there are others who feel the same way, and maybe we can all get by "with a little help from our friends."
Spirits call from way beyond
Lord I may not disobey...

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
Re: Post-tour blues, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
Yes dear, a pity you had to go. So good to meet you.
Indeed a lot of tears and hugs were shared.
But I am so happy you could be at the last show too.
I am back home now with the posttourblues as well, add a jetlag and the only thing I want too is being back on the road.
Thanks for everything! X

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »
So sorry you couldn't stay with us awhile while we shared a drink, and tried to cope with the end of the tour...  :'(  It was such a thrilling time to share with friends, and it is also very hard for me to think of life without the friends and shows  -- until our next tour.  (On the bright side, this will give me some time to save, and hopefully get my other life back on track... :hmm

Singv, it was so very nice to meet you, Knopfling, IrisRose, Cosmin, Chenster, Diremark86, BrianT, and our one of our newest members, McDeb.  It was wonderful to see Sweetsurrender, Isaac and Dezi again.  :D  I also got to meet many other fans who are not currently on AMIT, such as Lane and Katrina, and friends of AMITers. 

And many, many thanks to the amazing Ingrid, with whom I shared a super-fun, adventurous, and exhilarating seven days and five beautiful shows.    :D :-*
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »
I will have much more to post on my collected thoughts and experiences over the long weekend but wanted to post something quick for now. I have to apologize for having to leave so abruptly after the last show but we had an early flight to catch the next morning and I was feeling incredibly emotional and thought it perhaps best to rip the band-aid off quickly. I know there were several I didn't get to say goodbye to and for that, I am sorry, we WILL meet again. Thank you all so very much for being such great friends to my partner and I. Being younger fans we don't always receive such a warm welcome. I can't wait to see you all again!

-J+J

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »
Thank you for the support! We'll all get over the blues, slooooowly. But it was truly a delight getting to know everyone and we must do it again next time.

And I'm so glad I stayed for one more show...thanks to (a) Sweetsurrender for planting the idea, (b) Ingridswing for coordinating a spare ticket, (c) Isaac for undertaking a trans-atlantic mission with Jeroen, and (d) Jeroen for waking up at 3 am and logging into eBay!!  :clap :wave :clap :wave

Finally, Ingridswing, you are an amazing person...kind, generous, funny, and fearless. It would not have been half as much fun without you!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:02 PM »
Millionaire Blues (see Scottdale thread). ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
Singhv, I'm glad you made it to your flight and were able to safely finish that crazy journey you began last Friday.
It was really a lot of fun to travel with you and sweetsurrender and talk MK/DS for hours and hours on the road, and to be with Ingrid and Lis and sister, Chenster, diremark, IrisRose, BrianT, Isaac and so many others before and after concerts.
We've probably all got the blues a bit, but I'm still on the high as well.
Singhv, can't wait to see your pictures  -- oh, there they are!
Wow, I've got to get busy on mine.
diremark, I think us old people really love to see some younger ones who enjoy MK's music. You and your friend are a great part of our group, and I am so very jealous of you getting to meet the man. But I'm happy you had the experience.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:41:21 PM by knopfling »
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
I guess it's my turn now to confess to the post MK-blues.  As I was driving yesterday morning, the first few chords in " WHAT IT IS" hit me hard. I cried as I was trying to grip with myself the unbelievable moments of  JOY and HAPPINESS from the past 4 shows.  I pulled over to the side of the road, closed my eyes and reminisced those 4 nights that I was fortunate to experience and passionately share with other fellow AMITERS.  Every show, every night was SURREAL.

From 2008, when I rediscovered Mark. His music has been a link that reconnect myself to my soul. From the first moment when I heard SOS in the 80's , to the 30 some  years as I journey through life.  I lost touch with his beautiful music that is a constant reminder of who I am and what I can be.  I'm glad I've found it again in 2008. it was a moment of enlightenment that has saved my life I'm so convinced.

Folks, seeing Mark is a journey to Mecca for me.  And thanks to AMIT forum, a place where I can share the story with others who understand and not afraid to be called crazy. 

Singhv, thanks for all the driving you had done with me and Knopfling. Through the dessert, the valley, flying through the curb at the exit so we wouldn't miss the turn, and the long drive through the LONG HIGHWAY with almost an  empty tank.  ( we barely made it) ;D ;D ;D The humors along the way were so uplifting.

Knopfling, thanks for being such a trooper, soldiering along with us.

Ingrid, for your warmth, love, hugs, kisses, kindness, and generosity. You have it all.  All the funs of dancing together with you. The 2 front row seats for my friends who are now MK fans.

Lis, Lorrain, Irisrose, for the excitements and funs we shared together.

Chenster, thanks to your brother-in-law, for driving me and Knopfling home.

Diremarks and Joe, being so young and have great appreciation for Mark's, say a lot. Sorry MK didn't play Shangrila , next time.

Isacc, for making it to the last show. It was wonderful seeing you again.

idinsc, for coming to say " Hi" and 2 tickets for my friend and her husband who thanked me profusely for the opportunity to see Mark. They ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

Mcdebb, for joining us at the pre-show.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:00:09 PM by sweetsurrender »

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
I will have much more to post on my collected thoughts and experiences over the long weekend but wanted to post something quick for now. I have to apologize for having to leave so abruptly after the last show but we had an early flight to catch the next morning and I was feeling incredibly emotional and thought it perhaps best to rip the band-aid off quickly. I know there were several I didn't get to say goodbye to and for that, I am sorry, we WILL meet again. Thank you all so very much for being such great friends to my partner and I. Being younger fans we don't always receive such a warm welcome. I can't wait to see you all again!

-J+J

Diremark - we had a great time hanging with you and Joe. Congrats again on the MK autograph and conversation. Hope your dad liked the 'smoking' picture ;D.
And....we're waiting for you "collected thoughts" so hurry up!

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
I guess it's my turn now to confess to the post MK-blues.  As I was driving yesterday morning, the first few chords in " WHAT IT IS" hit me hard. I cried as I was trying to grip with myself the unbelievable moments of  JOY and HAPPINESS from the past 4 shows.  I pulled over to the side of the road, closed my eyes and reminisced those 4 nights that I was fortunate to experience and passionately share with other fellow AMITERS.  Every show, every night was SURREAL.

From 2008, when I rediscovered Mark. His music has been a link that reconnect myself to my soul. From the first moment when I heard SOS in the 80's , to the 30 some  years as I journey through life.  I lost touch with his beautiful music that is a constant reminder of who I am and what I can be.  I'm glad I've found it again in 2008. it was a moment of enlightenment that has saved my life I'm so convinced.

Folks, seeing Mark is a journey to Mecca for me.  And thanks to AMIT forum, a place where I can share the story with others who understand and not afraid to be called crazy. 

Singhv, thanks for all the driving you had done with me and Knopfling. Through the dessert, the valley, flying through the curb at the exit so we wouldn't miss the turn, and the long drive through the LONG HIGHWAY with almost an  empty tank.  ( we barely made it) ;D ;D ;D The humors along the way were so uplifting.

Knopfling, thanks for being such a trooper, soldiering along with us.

Ingrid, for your warmth, love, hugs, kisses, kindness, and generosity. You have it all.  All the funs of dancing together with you. The 2 front row seats for my friends who are now MK fans.

Lis, Lorrain, Irisrose, for the excitements and funs we shared together.

Chenster, thanks to your brother-in-law, for driving me and Knopfling home.

Diremarks and Joe, being so young and have great appreciation for Mark's, say a lot. Sorry MK didn't play Shangrila , next time.

Isacc, for making it to the last show. It was wonderful seeing you again.

idinsc, for coming to say " Hi" and 2 tickets for my friend and her husband who thanked me profusely for the opportunity to see Mark. They ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

Mcdebb, for joining us at the pre-show.

Well said, Sweetsurrender.
Mark's music is a blessing and I'm so glad it brings likeminded fans like us together, via AMIT.
Until next time...stay calm, and take deep breaths!

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »

-J+J

Diremark - we had a great time hanging with you and Joe. Congrats again on the MK autograph and conversation. Hope your dad liked the 'smoking' picture ;D.
And....we're waiting for you "collected thoughts" so hurry up!

Me too.  Great hanging out with you and Joe. Your trip from Michigan was well worth it.  Glad you guys enjoyed SF.

Can't wait to read your thoughts.  We'll do it again next time.

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
We'll do it again next time.

Too true, looking forward to meeting you all again, will have to do more shows next time.

Brian
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

OfflineMcDeb

• Guitar George
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »
Gosh, guys, post-tour blues? I only got to the one concert, in Oakland - and that was enough to give me post-concert blues! I'm sure I'd be a mess if I'd gotten an immersion experience such as all of yours.

sweetsurrender, what you said:
... I can so identify with! Only I was even later to the game - like a couple of months ago, when I put together that several songs were by Dire Straits, and that the lovely "Local Hero" soundtrack was by Mr. Knopfler, and then remembered, hey, that was ALSO the same guy I heard interviewed a few years ago when he'd made the album with Emmylou Harris ... well, let's just say I can be pretty slow on the uptake. But I'm glad I finally got it - and in time for the concert! - and I'm glad I found this group ... because my husband's getting a little weary of the Mark this and Knopfler that and Fender Stratocaster the other ... not to mention my tendency to find an MK lyric to suit every occasion ...

One other thought I had (sorry to go on for so long): the only other artist who has affected me this way (see sweetsurrender quote, above :-) ...) is the Scottish fiddle virtuoso, Alasdair Fraser. He has the same searching, ever-evolving approach to his musical journey as MK does, and his music touches me deep inside somewhere in much the same way. Of course, my fantasy concert would have the two of them playing together. There would certainly be the Scottish connection!

OK, through bending your eyes. Virtual hugs to all and thank you again for welcoming me so warmly!

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 03:12:15 AM »
Gosh, guys, post-tour blues? I only got to the one concert, in Oakland - and that was enough to give me post-concert blues! I'm sure I'd be a mess if I'd gotten an immersion experience such as all of yours.

sweetsurrender, what you said:
... I can so identify with! Only I was even later to the game - like a couple of months ago, when I put together that several songs were by Dire Straits, and that the lovely "Local Hero" soundtrack was by Mr. Knopfler, and then remembered, hey, that was ALSO the same guy I heard interviewed a few years ago when he'd made the album with Emmylou Harris ... well, let's just say I can be pretty slow on the uptake. But I'm glad I finally got it - and in time for the concert! - and I'm glad I found this group ... because my husband's getting a little weary of the Mark this and Knopfler that and Fender Stratocaster the other ... not to mention my tendency to find an MK lyric to suit every occasion ...

One other thought I had (sorry to go on for so long): the only other artist who has affected me this way (see sweetsurrender quote, above :-) ...) is the Scottish fiddle virtuoso, Alasdair Fraser. He has the same searching, ever-evolving approach to his musical journey as MK does, and his music touches me deep inside somewhere in much the same way. Of course, my fantasy concert would have the two of them playing together. There would certainly be the Scottish connection!

OK, through bending your eyes. Virtual hugs to all and thank you again for welcoming me so warmly!

Sooo glad you've found us here !!! Too bad I didn't get to talk much with you.  Are you local in the Bay Area? If you are, then we definitely have to get together.  :)

OfflineMcDeb

• Guitar George
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
I am - in fact, I could've walked to the Fox Theater from my office (except: downtown Oakland at night ...) :)
Would be great to get together sometime - I remember a quick introduction Monday night but it was all just a whirl! ... Will send message!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 37 queries.