Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: BBC special?  (Read 36306 times)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: BBC special?
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 07:51:03 AM »
Nice reply, thanks. This guy at least seems to remember that we pay his wages...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
Today on Guy's forum he answers on a questions about the special. Still no news, will not be on tv soon  :'(

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »

So, in other words, they are none the wiser than we are!  But at least it was a polite reply and they were kind enough to respond, regardless of the answer.  I'm amazed at the response from the BBC that was posted by jbaent above.  Almost reads as if the guy got out of bed the wrong side that morning.  Not the attitude. 

The response you got looks like a standard kind of answer, which is the correct one to give, and the one that got my friend looks more like a "personal one", that one was posted to the person from the BBC4 that Dusty (I think it was him) mentioned as the one who has a word on what its going to be scheduled to broadcast, and your answer was adressed to the BBC Audience Services, who are really polite doing his job, with standard answers, but polite.

Anyway, both answers reveals that they dont have a clue about it, maybe the one that got my friend has some information hidden, but my guess its that they are not the ones that might decide if the special is broadcasted or not.

I bet that it will be released as a bonus dvd with the next MK record.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »
Why can Guy than not say something like: We are thinking of doing this or that with the special but there is still a choice to be made??????

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »
Because he is not allowed, maybe MK would change his mind, and if Guy says the bbc special will be a bonus dvd but in the end MK changes his mind, everybody will blame Guy because he said it would happen...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »
Unlikely to be a bonus dvd (never been done before).

More likely to be recorded at great expense then left on a shelf (been done before).
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »

More likely to be recorded at great expense then left on a shelf (been done before).

Two big precedents:

- Madrid 2001:
Considered to be released on dvd and recorded with multiple cammeras and a special mixing track, but abandoned after discover the sound from the audience was so loud that got not only into the audience mics but also all the other mics from the stage (MK's mic etc etc)
Imho, an excuse, as they recorded also Bilbao, Newcastle and Glasgow, all the concerts with the same set list to mix it, probably it was too much effort for what a DVD will sell...

- London 2002:
Mark Knopfler and friends at the Shepperd Bush, recorded with multiple cammeras and with Jools Holland and Jimmy Nail as special guests. Not abandoned as it was recorded to be used as promotion for the Ragpicker Dreams cd. Some scenes from this concerts are on the Ragpickers dream are on the press kit, but very short ones, specially from "Quality Shoe" and "Why aye man", that was fully included as a video bonus in the "Why aye man" cd single if I remember well.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
"Why aye man", that was fully included as a video bonus in the "Why aye man" cd single if I remember well.

not on the CD single, but on the 2nd disk of the album special edition

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »

Mark can waste his own money by filming concerts that will never see the light of day, or maybe just as a home movie for the Knopfler family. That is his perogative.

But I do object to the BBC not airing a show which they spent a (no doubt) small fortune to record.

Still to be optimistic, I know of at least one other music "special" recorded by the BBC which was not broadcast until well over a year after it was recorded. So I will still be keeping my fingers crossed that the MK gig will eventually be on air.

Regards
This baker's boy from the West Country

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »

Two big precedents:

- Madrid 2001:
Considered to be released on dvd and recorded with multiple cammeras and a special mixing track, but abandoned after discover the sound from the audience was so loud that got not only into the audience mics but also all the other mics from the stage (MK's mic etc etc)
Imho, an excuse, as they recorded also Bilbao, Newcastle and Glasgow, all the concerts with the same set list to mix it, probably it was too much effort for what a DVD will sell...

- London 2002:
Mark Knopfler and friends at the Shepperd Bush, recorded with multiple cammeras and with Jools Holland and Jimmy Nail as special guests. Not abandoned as it was recorded to be used as promotion for the Ragpicker Dreams cd. Some scenes from this concerts are on the Ragpickers dream are on the press kit, but very short ones, specially from "Quality Shoe" and "Why aye man", that was fully included as a video bonus in the "Why aye man" cd single if I remember well.

I think the BBC special is likely to become one of life's mysteries along with the Madrid DVD and why are DVDs sold in larger packages than CDs, even though the discs are the same size!

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »

I think the BBC special is likely to become one of life's mysteries along with the Madrid DVD and why are DVDs sold in larger packages than CDs, even though the discs are the same size!

:)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »

+1000

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »
why are DVDs sold in larger packages than CDs, even though the discs are the same size!

to match old VHS packages !  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
why are DVDs sold in larger packages than CDs, even though the discs are the same size!

to match old VHS packages !  ;D

I know, but it sounded funny and it is a bit of a con.  Surely the best way would have been for the rental firms to get new shelves once than the consumer to pay more for extravagant cases for forever! :-\
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Guy now says it will NOT be aired. Makes me wonder what they will do with it..... Probably keep it in the safe for the next 10 years...... :'(

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.