Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 292976 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
They certainly seem to be made in batches looking at the register!
I genuinely thought they started at SE00000 and ascended logically during  the 10 years of production.
This cant be the case or there would be well over twelve thousand  out there!
To the best of my knowledge the S prefix was only used for signature models, SN2 is a1992 Clapton strat, by that logic would some SE numbers have been previously used on 1980s signature models? Only Clapton and Malmsteen at that time I think?
Maybe I am overthinking this!

I reckon you are spot on there. There is no evidence to say that they ascended logically at all in fact Fender have literally put 'SE' numbers to the MK guitars 'Willy Nilly' and think the SE prefix could well have been used on earlier guitars......
Look at some of the beasts in the owners list and some higher numbered Strats were built before some lower numbered Strats!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
They certainly seem to be made in batches looking at the register!
I genuinely thought they started at SE00000 and ascended logically during  the 10 years of production.
This cant be the case or there would be well over twelve thousand  out there!
To the best of my knowledge the S prefix was only used for signature models, SN2 is a1992 Clapton strat, by that logic would some SE numbers have been previously used on 1980s signature models? Only Clapton and Malmsteen at that time I think?
Maybe I am overthinking this!

I reckon you are spot on there. There is no evidence to say that they ascended logically at all in fact Fender have literally put 'SE' numbers to the MK guitars 'Willy Nilly' and think the SE prefix could well have been used on earlier guitars......
Look at some of the beasts in the owners list and some higher numbered Strats were built before some lower numbered Strats!!!

This only can get me thinking that there are for sure could be unauthorized copies since you can just guess the serial number.

By the way, you can remove me (Foma - Russia) from the list, I no longer have an MK signature neck, I sold it a long time ago.

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
Think I am trying to see a pattern where there isnt one!
Just seems strange that apart from the fact that the numbers do ascend over time the numbers are so random.

Maybe Fender had thousands of plates made and stamped then MK pulled out of the deal and they threw most of them in the bin in a fit of rage! ;D ;D ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I'm not expert on these stringed things but my passion for photography may be of benefit here.  My Leica M lenses have serial numbers to show year of manufacture. These numbers are released in blocks of round numbers.  As they are handmade to order (like the Strat) sometimes customers will be put on a waiting list if they run out of numbers, sometimes not all the allocated numbers are used up.  Therefore there is no way of knowing the exact date unless you have the QC certificate.

I have a 90mm lens who's serial number dates it to 1973, but that particular model wasn't introduced until 1974!  I think companies release serial numbers in blocks every year and so they aren't in order and can be up to a year out.  The person in the factory will just look for a number that hasn't been used up.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I'm not expert on these stringed things but my passion for photography may be of benefit here.  My Leica M lenses have serial numbers to show year of manufacture. These numbers are released in blocks of round numbers.  As they are handmade to order (like the Strat) sometimes customers will be put on a waiting list if they run out of numbers, sometimes not all the allocated numbers are used up.  Therefore there is no way of knowing the exact date unless you have the QC certificate.

I have a 90mm lens who's serial number dates it to 1973, but that particular model wasn't introduced until 1974!  I think companies release serial numbers in blocks every year and so they aren't in order and can be up to a year out.  The person in the factory will just look for a number that hasn't been used up.

It feels extremely awkward that Fender doesn't have a proper serial number system, probably because this is a utilitarian tool and any part of it could be easily replaced as opposed to glued-in Les Paul necks and things like that. And because Fender guitars necks are often made before bodies and vice versa. To me personally numbering a Strat is useless anyway, since you can put a number plate with a serial number on any guitar and hence make it "genuine". I mean the neck and the body are not "together" by design. They should've numbered every part then, but that would make it more expensive for sure. So what exactly this serial number represent anyway? The serial number of a neck plate? Or a sticker? Who knows, who cares.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The MK Strat numbering system is odd though for Fender. Usually you can tell the country and year of manufacture from the serial number alone, and it is on the headstock so can’t easily be swapped out.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
I often wondered why they used a transfer (decal) serial number on the neck, as necks (fretboards) wear out and are more likely to be changed. My Luthier once said he could send to Fender for new decals if he was replacing damaged ones on a genuine Fender guitar (or making a new neck for a genuine Fender).  The problem is that a Fender can be built from parts by anyone with moderate skills and as long as there was a serial number on it (neck or metal plate) you would have to check with Fender or be a real expert in the model range to establish that it was a "partscaster". The only answer would be to emboss a serial number in the control cavity that matched the decal on the neck.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
I do like the serial number on the neck plate, its just traditional I suppose. One of the features of the MK Strat that I like.
Maybe unfairly I see the move to serial numbers as a decal as part of the decline in the quality of the instrument in the mid 70s.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Same Strat but re-advertised - I guess because it's pretty expensive!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133732616549?hash=item1f2315c965:g:tdUAAOSwF1lgfEcq

* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
Anyone else's MK strat having an evening in the sun?

hunter

^^Lovely grain on that fretboard!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
That’s a most unfortunate ding, does emphasise what a crime it is to cover this beautiful swamp ash in a solid colour!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

hunter

If anyone is looking for an an affordable alternative to the MK strat check these out:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/stratocaster/squier-limited-edition-classic-vibe-60s-stratocaster-laurel-fingerboard-in-fiesta-red

Very nice, I must say. With a good setup (and possibly better pickups - I say possibly), you really are 95% there, guitarwise.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
If anyone is looking for an an affordable alternative to the MK strat check these out:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/stratocaster/squier-limited-edition-classic-vibe-60s-stratocaster-laurel-fingerboard-in-fiesta-red

You might not even need pickups, the CV pickups are pretty highly regarded, and of course a lot of people don't like the Texas Specials!
Very nice, I must say. With a good setup (and possibly better pickups - I say possibly), you really are 95% there, guitarwise.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 41 queries.