Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark and Brendan  (Read 1736 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Mark and Brendan
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:43 PM »
I haven't heard this song before, but maybe some of you have:

I really like Brendan's voice and the guitar is unmistakeable!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Mark and Brendan
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
huh? that is one of my favourite brendan songs.good cd that it is on too. the other favorite is that awesome official live version of Railroad blues from back in 86 at the leeds polytechnic. absolute LOOOOOOOOOVE that guitar train sound in the beginning....
the guitar around 4:19....divine...great bass playing too...
this is the official version
(the 4:19 mark is from the 1986 live version)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineMcDeb

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »
What a neat song! MK has collaborated so often that I've had fun finding the tracks and may just do a whole Spotify playlist with 'em. Also, of course, I have to wonder if the backing band's name, the 5 O'Clock Shadows, is a nod to the Shadows: the band with Hank Marvin that MK loved as a kid? (Or is that so obvious to everyone else that it's a dumb question? I have been known to ask those.)

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
What a neat song! MK has collaborated so often that I've had fun finding the tracks and may just do a whole Spotify playlist with 'em. Also, of course, I have to wonder if the backing band's name, the 5 O'Clock Shadows, is a nod to the Shadows: the band with Hank Marvin that MK loved as a kid? (Or is that so obvious to everyone else that it's a dumb question? I have been known to ask those.)

Hi McDeb. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Certainly not on this forum.

That is an interesting theory and who knows, maybe Brendan Croker is a huge Shadows fan, but I think that 5 O'Clock Shadows is more likely a reference to designer stubble that was just beginning to become popular in the 80's.

The whole album that "No Money" comes from is brilliant. If I recall correctly, it is just called Brendan Croker and the 5 O'Clock Shadows. Guy Fletcher played keyboards and even Eric Clapton leant his voice to one of the other songs.
This baker's boy from the West Country

OfflineMK_live

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Camerado
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
I read somewhere that a 5 O'Clock shadow is a reference to a man's "beard"; when you shave yourself in the morning, by the end of the day the hairs have grown a bit which result in a " 5 O'Clock shadow" .
Can anyone confirm that?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:31:40 PM »
I read somewhere that a 5 O'Clock shadow is a reference to a man's "beard"; when you shave yourself in the morning, by the end of the day the hairs have grown a bit which result in a " 5 O'Clock shadow" .
Can anyone confirm that?

Yes, that's exactly right. 

Here's a useful site for those non native English speakers that has all of these phrases (obscure ones too even for English as a first language) with their meanings:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=5%20o'clock%20shadow
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.