Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: For those interested....  (Read 5003 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: For those interested....
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »
Yes, it has a definite "mid-Beatles" feel to it, & it's nicely produced too. What does your home studio consist of?  Mine is a 9' square spare bedroom alternatively referred to as "the studio" or "the Noisy Corner"  ;D  & I'm still recording to Cubase LE4 with virtual instruments from Native Instruments.

I had a quick listen to Running in the Headlights too,  and in addition to the "influences" mentioned above
I might have detected a hint of Elton John in a few of the pieces? 

The room is roughly 20 by 20. I'm old fashioned and still use an AKAI DPS 24, its the best multitrack hardware out there and I've yet to find anything else that comes close to the quality of it. Of course its all hooked up through a PC as well for when I do want to use plugins, or transfer tracks for mastering. Most of that tends to be in Cubase, or for final mastering I would use something like sony soundforge and a decent mastering plugin. Izotope Ozone is great for those final tweaks before committing to CD...

With regards to Elton, I've never really been a big fan to be honest, although who couldn't love the early to mid stuff.....My piano playing was inspired by hearing Bruce Hornsby, another guy who really stamps his personality on his instrument (MK and BH that would be one hell of a collaboration).

Any of your stuff online 3strats?

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »
Ahhh - a PROPER studio (sigh)  :clap

Re Elton, it was his early sound and the way the vocals flowed that I was hearing in a couple of places.

If you're feeling brave you can click on the link to my "planespotting" website in my signature strip below
& navigate to the music page where my covers & some original tunes are located. There are of course others
that will never see the light of day!  ;D

My MK covers are probably the weakest because of the challenge of setting myself up against a guitar legend.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:39:55 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
Cool, will check it out. I know what you mean about those 'that will never see the light of day'....

My first recording was on a dodgy old 4 track, with awful 8 bit sample drums from an old amiga 500. And the song.......well lets just say that its quite possibly the worst version of sultans in history. The masters have been buried in a box, locked in a safe, before being jettisoned into a volcano....That one will deffinately never see the light of day... :-X  :lol

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
Don't do yourself down 3 strats, the instrumentals are nice, and mediocre is a gem of an idea.... ;D

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
You're too kind. (More self depreciation) .  I have a couple of half finished tunes with lyrics I'm not happy with that are sitting waiting for the right words to come along. As I said in my website "disclaimer"  I find my wry sense of humour finds it's way into my songs, and I'm very self critical of those that are more serious or "personal" so they tend to stay unfinished.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

seats 21 & 22

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »
I'm very self critical of those that are more serious or "personal" so they tend to stay unfinished

That's the thing I struggled with for years, probably why I spent 15 years in various bands, hiding behind a lead singer and doing a bad mark knopfler impersonation....

Took me ages to put my 'real' personal stuff out there for people to criticise.....

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
I've been thinking of how to respond without sounding pretentious !  ::)
This is the best I can do:

I also think it's because we aspire to be "proper" songwriters & not just manufacturers of "bubblegum" i

seats 21 & 22

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »
That's a good point. For me its about escaping you influences but not abandoning them, producing something original that is 'of' your influences but not derivative, and I' not claiming to have achieved that, its where I'm trying to get to.

Its why I really don't like the whole tribute band thing. People making a lucrative career from a note for note copy of their favourite artist, without a shred of creativity. Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to 'Play like MK' or whoever it may be, and spent years learning his solos note for note. but in the end abandoned it, 1 because I'm not good enough! and 2 cause I needed to express myself in my own ways.

Oh and to some extent I lied above.... as I can still be caught occasionally wailing away along to TR or TOL, at high volumes disturbing the neighbours for at least 14 minutes 28 seconds or so on end......Practice purposes only of course  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 38 queries.