Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: question from new member  (Read 10749 times)

Offliner

• Guitar George
question from new member
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:37:17 AM »
hi everybody i m a knopfler fan from Turkey...
may be you can help me to find the answer of a mistery to me the game commences, for the usual fee plus ... eerr sorry...
can someone tell me ..at alchemy live.. there's a part between Two young lovers and tunnel of love... mel collins starts with his sax, plays the tune then at the second part mark join and playsome riffs and he make his speech before the song.. i really want to know "what is this part?" i ll be very happy if someone help me.
like knopfler says at the end of PI at alchemy
thank yoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: question from new member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:25:45 AM »
Hi, this is the best I can do:

Song about growin' up, song about being in love, song about being in a band, song about all kinds of things.  A place in Newcastle called "The Spanish City", I used to go there a lot, the fairground.  Used to hear a lot of rock and roll music, used to hear The Animals (marvellous) - the song is "Tunnel of Love"!

BTW Welcome to this forum, I hope you will like it here!   :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:38:48 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offliner

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »
thank you for the transcription of this speech but i try to learn to tune between two young lovers and tunnel of love.. is it something from a soundtrack or something never heard before...
and also i m so happy to be here with others knopflerista's...i ll try to be a part of family...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you wanted.  I'm afraid I don't know what that music is either.  Maybe another member can help you.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
I always just assumed that it was an extended intro that MK and the band (in particular I suspect that Alan Clark had a lot to do with it) came up with at the time.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:44 AM »
Not sure if the band called it this, but in some places it came to be known as "Newcastle Interlude". A lossy music site I look into from time to time even lists it as one of the tracks.

:- http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/dire-straits-concert/20050511-1855.html

The "interlude" was largely an adlib by the band and changes over the years.

By the way, the version from the Milan concert on Tuesday 8th September 1992 is my all time favourite. The melodic feel, and the way A.C. "posed it" (not sure if this is right term) in a couple of places for Mark's reply made for one of my fondest music memories ever.
Another nice version can be seen on Dogswede1's video here:->  
For those that don't know, it is understood that Mark doesn't play TOL because it was his dad's favorite song, and to my knowledge he hasn't played it since his dad (Mark called him his hero in an interview) passed away. Just goes to prove that for someone to be able to touch so many other hearts the World over, he has to have one "special" heart himself....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:04:02 AM »
That interlude part was a LOOOOOOOOONG instrumental piece that started at the end of Portobello belle and end with Tunnel of love.

At the start of that interlude (kinda reagge) MK introduce all the band and little by little it fades to the tune we all know from the Alchemy record.

I recommend you to download a 1983 concert (anyone who has Portobello and Tunnel in the same cd, it
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.