Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Non MK songs played at MK/DS concerts besides "I´m Singing In The Rain"  (Read 10590 times)

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Didn't he play Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen once (2001)?

You have a good memory.  ;)  I forgot all about that one. It´s 2001 Calling Elvis at 07:48
Cheers Peter

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
I never saw the "Hans Christian Andersen" film  but, by golly, the songs were played on the radio a lot - "Wonderful Copenhagen", "Thumbelina". "The King's New Clothes" and "The Ugly Duckling" - over and over again. so, once more, I'm sure that MK would have heard them when he was young.

If you want a really tenuous connection between "Wonderful Copenhagen" and  "Mr Bob", here it is. In late-1965 and early 1966, he flew to concerts (with the Hawks, later The Band) in North America in a private plane owned by his company - an old Lockheed Lodestar from WWII. And, during WWII, this aircraft was owned by the Norwegian government-in-exile and, as a civilian airliner (that is, unarmed), flew the service from RAF Leuchars in Scotland to Bromma Airport, Stockholm in neutral Sweden. The most direct route was across the Skagerrak (the stretch of water mentioned in "Wonderful Copenhagen") and a very dangerous route it was in wartime, too. It wasn't the only aircraft on this wartime service but was probably the longest serving. There, I told you the connection was tenuous.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:57:35 AM by twm »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Didn't he play Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen once (2001)?

You have a good memory.  ;)  I forgot all about that one. It´s 2001 Calling Elvis at 07:48

Not so good at all, I am sure there's a bootleg of the concert called Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen for precisely this reason! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
Loch Lomond has been used as intro to WII couple of times

Which was absolutely GREAT!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
Does Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel of Love count? It's hidden inside Tunnel of Love from the Mandela warm up gigs and the OES-tour.

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
Loch Lomond has been used as intro to WII couple of times

Which was absolutely GREAT!
Yup, big fave!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
"Wonderful Copenhagen"  again. In the days before pop charts for the sales of records, there were charts for the sales of sheet music.  Just out of idle curiosity, I dug out a reference book of mine and looked it up.  "Wonderful Copenhagen" entered the sheet music charts in January 1953, reached No.2 and stayed in the charts for 31 weeks but, later in the year, it re-entered, got to No.18 and stayed for 6 weeks. 

In total, then, "Wonderful Copenhagen" was 37 weeks in the charts in 1953, the second most number of weeks that year. It was beaten by "I Believe", which was 38 weeks in the charts, though it was a further 3 weeks in the charts in 1954.

MK would have been quite young at the time but I'm sure he would have heard it on the radio and possibly around the house.

OfflineTally

• Camerado
Does Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel of Love count? It's hidden inside Tunnel of Love from the Mandela warm up gigs and the OES-tour.

Never heard that, could you elaborate?

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
During the part where MK introduce the band, he played a few tones from Bruce's tunnel of love. For the warm up gigs he took a bit from the synth/organ theme from the intro. On the OES your he played the melody from the part near the end where Bruce and Patty sings "Yahoo hoohoohoohoohoo..."etc. and Nils Lofgren plays the same melody on the guitar.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
still, not many cases where he is not joined by an artist..right?
also, to come back to twm's post, one can not recommend the three theme time radio hour seasons done by bob. they were of the finest pieces of radio/music i have heard, and show bob in a totally different daylight.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Love Theme Time Radio Hour, great tunes and Bob is hilarious.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
for the ones interested (andd you should be)
http://www.themetimeradio.com/
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
if we count the musical quotes like in TOL (Animals' don't let me be musiunderstood, Supremes' in the name of love, Doors' riders on the storm, ....) then we can count the strangers in the night line in Calling Elvis (in 2001, and with the NHBs, around 1999 or 2000).
I guess it's more a Hendrix quote, as Jimi used to play this line in wild thing

there is also the line from Neil Diamond's you'll be a woman soon in Why Aye Man 2008

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
if we count the musical quotes like in TOL (Animals' don't let me be musiunderstood, Supremes' in the name of love, Doors' riders on the storm, ....) then we can count the strangers in the night line in Calling Elvis (in 2001, and with the NHBs, around 1999 or 2000).

there is also the line from Neil Diamond's you'll be a woman soon in Why Aye Man 2008

I´m not sure if that was intentional or just a natural notes progression in the solos...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

I´m not sure if that was intentional or just a natural notes progression in the solos...

yes I thought the same, but I remember it was discussed here some years ago, and someone said it could be a "private joke" for the band, because Richard had played with Neil diamond

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.