Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sting to release solo career-spanning vinyl box set in September  (Read 10760 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:50:22 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: Sting to release solo career-spanning vinyl box set in September
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. Interesting. I used to like some of Sting's records, certainly his voice and the mood he was setting,  and eventually I bought most, if not all of them, when I found them on vinyl, in the late 90ies, at bargain price, and later on when they were issued on CD, by a greek newspaper.  I know that some of his records were never released on vinyl and some titles are officially out of print, but it makes me wonder, why release them all over again, in an expensive box, when almost all of his records can still be found in very good+ (excellent)  condition, at thrift shops or even discogs, for about a $. https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?sort=price%2Casc&master_id=32708&ev=mb
 And who else, but a devoted fan, who already has everything a couple of dozen times, will go to buy the box. And like every record we've been listening since we were young, it will be played some times but then put back on the shelf.  Because we have "burnt" this records by over-listening to them.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the info. Interesting. I used to like some of Sting's records, certainly his voice and the mood he was setting,  and eventually I bought most, if not all of them, when I found them on vinyl, in the late 90ies, at bargain price, and later on when they were issued on CD, by a greek newspaper.  I know that some of his records were never released on vinyl and some titles are officially out of print, but it makes me wonder, why release them all over again, in an expensive box, when almost all of his records can still be found in very good+ (excellent)  condition, at thrift shops or even discogs, for about a $. https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?sort=price%2Casc&master_id=32708&ev=mb
 And who else, but a devoted fan, who already has everything a couple of dozen times, will go to buy the box. And like every record we've been listening since we were young, it will be played some times but then put back on the shelf.  Because we have "burnt" this records by over-listening to them.

As I understand, it's almost like Sting just wanted to give himself a gift like this — 'I love the ritual of vinyl records' he said.

I guess it would be fun for people who are just too lazy to get albums one by one (I would be one of those people).

I don't want to start a war here, but sure when I read news like this I dream about Golden Heart vinyl, or STP vinyl, or RPD vinyl (not $300 one)... but as I understand, this will never ever happen. Not just because availability of masters, but because Mark is looking forward only indeed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:48:50 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »
 :smack  Did I sound like starting a war? I didn't have any intention. Sorry!  :wave  I just stated what it actually seems weird to me. I work in a record shop, and such releases from major artists with huge following and bigger audience may be the bread and butter for business, on the other hand, the vast amounts of second hand copies of the album, at such low prices, are a sign of something, which I will not dare to go into.

Yes, I would love to have a GH or STP vinyl releases,  (I already have RPD) but I think it is healthier the way MK thinks. Even if we never get to listen the Communique demo versions. But he gave us 4 demos from the first album in a double 7'' (for Record store day) a couple of years ago, didn't he, so we can hope.

I am just thinking about the new musicians and bands that can get no break into the music business world, and one of the reasons is the constant re-release of some major artist, of yesteryear, that steal the spotlight and the ... printing machines. A couple of years ago, Led Zeppelin re-released all their albums (a fine work that bought again for the extensive extras) but they occupied vinyl factories for so long that many releases from small bands (and especially for record store day) had to wait for 8-9 months and some lost the record store day date, altogether. 

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »
But he gave us 4 demos from the first album in a double 7'' (for Record store day) a couple of years ago, didn't he, so we can hope.

The Honky Tonk Demos are available at Amazon.de (Germany) at the moment for less than 15 €. Just to let you know. Maybe someone missed the opportunity at Record Store Day (like me) and is still  in search for a copy.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 39 queries.