Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (9) Whoop De Doo (3:56)  (Read 5536 times)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
(9) Whoop De Doo (3:56)
« on: August 11, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »

Whoop De Doo (Mark Knopfler) (3:56)

LYRICS

If I'm over the moon
It's because I'm over you
A day at a time
And I'm tickety-boo
I don't carry on
The way I used to
Whoop de doo whoop de doo

If I'm doing great
It's because when I get home
I don't go straight
To my answerphone
And the tears don't come
The way they used to

So many little things
Are so much better now
They were only the little things
Anyhow

If I'm over the moon
It's because that's what I am
Funny that once
I used to give a damn
And I'd do anything
In the whole wide world for you

Anything
Anything you'd want me to
Whoop de doo
Whoop de doo

Song lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

CHORDS
Shangri la album - Foma
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mark_knopfler/shangri-la_album_crd.htm

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (9) Whoop De Doo (3:56)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 11:25:24 AM »
I came work listening to this record today while driving to work and when I listened again to this song it makes me think about it.

That song has a special meaning for me, as more or less by when it came out, my life was changing in a big way, so many of the sentences of this song had a special meaning for me, and helped me to start that new life.

When listening to this song, I understand that MK is talking about a change of his life, or a change in a life of a character. If it was in MK's life, I think that it can be related to when he disbanded DS and started his solo career, or when he got divorced from Lourdes and years after he met Kitty, or even after the motorbike accident, maybe he had a stressful way of life and after the accident decided to take it easier...

Whatever it means really, for me is that, a change in your life, where you approach life differently, easier, enjoying the simple things of life, being happy in the end.

What do you think?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 11:58:49 AM »
I came work listening to this record today while driving to work and when I listened again to this song it makes me think about it.

That song has a special meaning for me, as more or less by when it came out, my life was changing in a big way, so many of the sentences of this song had a special meaning for me, and helped me to start that new life.

When listening to this song, I understand that MK is talking about a change of his life, or a change in a life of a character. If it was in MK's life, I think that it can be related to when he disbanded DS and started his solo career, or when he got divorced from Lourdes and years after he met Kitty, or even after the motorbike accident, maybe he had a stressful way of life and after the accident decided to take it easier...

Whatever it means really, for me is that, a change in your life, where you approach life differently, easier, enjoying the simple things of life, being happy in the end.

What do you think?

Fabulous track that is most definitely a 'go to' track whenever I want an MK fix...

I love the 'laidbackness' of this track which more or less says, relax have a breather and chill. It was covered most excellently by our good friend Pavel...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 04:20:43 PM »

What do you think?

Fabulous track that is most definitely a 'go to' track whenever I want an MK fix...

I love the 'laidbackness' of this track which more or less says, relax have a breather and chill. It was covered most excellently by our good friend Pavel...

Thank you! Man, how long ago it was, unbelievable... Now I don't have this bass, don't have those friends, don't have this shirt. Everything's gone, but my heart is hanging on. Not like they are "gone", I just stopped being friends with them. And still, so many years ago! And of course, I would do it better now, I suppose.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 05:08:10 PM »

What do you think?

Thank you! Man, how long ago it was, unbelievable... Now I don't have this bass, don't have those friends, don't have this shirt. Everything's gone, but my heart is hanging on. Not like they are "gone", I just stopped being friends with them. And still, so many years ago! And of course, I would do it better now, I suppose.

Sorry to hear all of that my friend, maybe time for re-doing another newer fresher version...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »
Hang on, everything will become better. :thumbsup
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 11:41:01 AM »

What do you think?

The meaning of this song is absolutely clear to me.

The character has recently ended a romantic relationship. He is saying he is happy with this. (Over the moon, tickety boo, whoop de do, these mean happy), but the downbeat music and way he sings puts doubt over this. He says he is doing great and doesn't obsessively check his answerphone for messages from his former lover.

Our doubts are confirmed in the last verse when he finally breaks down and confesses that he wants his lover back, that he would do anything in the world to get that person back.

Great song, one of his very best IMO.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 10:45:36 PM »
Exactly  :thumbsup
A sweet nothings legacy.
Luckily, true love will never fade though.
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 37 queries.