Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (08) Remembrance Day 5.05  (Read 20143 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: (08) Remembrance Day 5.05
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 12:16:31 PM »
Roger Waters recorded entire albums about war ... More Ride Across The River and Time Will End All Sorrow.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 12:19:50 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 02:53:54 PM »
I love Remembrance Day too, but I think that the reason it receives less attention than songs like Piper To The End is because it is about one particular day and other sad and reflective songs are more general.    I always play it on Remembrance Day and would like it to be played on the radio on that day too.

Yes, I get that Val. I'm like you I play the either the single or the Vinyl track especially on Remembrance day itself but I must confess it does get much airtime with me a lot of the time too....Such a strong, powerful tune...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2021, 08:26:46 AM »
had missed this post, but was listening to the LP of Get Lucky for the first time now i have finally gotten a record player (bluetooth, connected to my headphones, easy peasy) for my birthday, i am listening to all those records i collected but never listened to.
Anyways, when i came to RD, i wondered about the text and found these two interesting comments on a songtext "meaning" page (so it is the comments i mean, not the rest)
https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858796076/
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2021, 09:30:41 AM »
had missed this post, but was listening to the LP of Get Lucky for the first time now i have finally gotten a record player (bluetooth, connected to my headphones, easy peasy) for my birthday, i am listening to all those records i collected but never listened to.
Anyways, when i came to RD, i wondered about the text and found these two interesting comments on a songtext "meaning" page (so it is the comments i mean, not the rest)
https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858796076/

Those comments on the 'meaning' page exactly sum up the context of this fabulous song and what MK wanted to achieve and is exactly how I visualise this song whenever I hear it....Fabulous, just fabulous

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2021, 10:53:44 AM »
I always thought that this was pretty clear? We had that elaborated already back when it was released.  :wave

Also when MK mentioned that those young men rushed to go to war and complete cricket teams went and only few of them came back. These lyrics are a masterpiece alone for the picture of the May Pole changing to the memorial...

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2021, 11:22:09 AM »
I always thought that this was pretty clear? We had that elaborated already back when it was released.  :wave

Also when MK mentioned that those young men rushed to go to war and complete cricket teams went and only few of them came back. These lyrics are a masterpiece alone for the picture of the May Pole changing to the memorial...

LE

Oh yes, we had quite a discussion about RD in the day didn't we...
One thought I will share is that MK sings the men's Christian names NOT their surnames. Now on memorials I've seen whether here in the UK or throughout Europe they only have an initial and Surname so this explains to me that MK is saying how well these Men were known in this say Village..so I'm not convinced the names were on a memorial but in fellow villagers minds..if you know what I'm trying to say?!

Love Expresso

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2021, 02:53:47 PM »
I think I understand and it's a good observation about the names. I realized I obviously mixed up lyrics with interviews as I pretty clearly remember MK saying that in more or less every or at least a lot of  British towns there is a monument in the city center with the names of all these young men and it occurred to me that he somehow made a connection from the happy day's Maypole to the sad remembrance monument.
Very moving and touching lyrics although very British themed in a way. As a German, we of course relate to the First World War but not so especially with this special date 11.11. Also to let a children choir sing must have been a bold discussion during production.

LE
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 03:24:15 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »
Yes, basically every town, even small villages.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »

Indeed Dusty, War memorials are everywhere....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 04:15:31 PM »
I think I understand and it's a good observation about the names. I realized I obviously mixed up lyrics with interviews as I pretty clearly remember MK saying that in more or less every or at least a lot of  British towns there is a monument in the city center with the names of all these young men and it occurred to me that he somehow made a connection from the happy day's Maypole to the sad remembrance monument.
Very moving and touching lyrics although very British themed in a way. As a German, we of course relate to the First World War but not so especially with this special date 11.11. Also to let a children choir sing must have been a bold discussion during production.

LE

I quite agree with you, much thought must have taken place to use a Childrens Choir. Personally I think using the children to sing makes the track all the more powerful and what a fitting tribute this track is to the fallen.....

Even more powerful was witnessing the song being played/mimed Live at Trafalgar Square on the 11/11/2009 - Something that I or my wife will ever forget.....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 04:19:08 PM by Knopflerfan »

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »
"One thought I will share is that MK sings the men's Christian names NOT their surnames"

A very interesting observation.

Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2021, 05:47:42 PM »
The choir of children on Remembrance Day is touching for me. With the hope that the new and young generations will remember.
Clear as the day

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »

Indeed Dusty, War memorials are everywhere....

I believe per head of population Scotland had more participants in both wars hence the number of memorials down to every small village.  The main one is at Edinburgh Castle which has every single name listed in a shrine placed onto the rock on which the Castle stands.  The building contains carved bronzes and memorial windows to the various services involved and was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer who was also commissioned for many of the memorials in towns and villages and also churches and large organisations, who also listed those who fell. He also designed some memorials abroad and I believe the one in Plymouth.

I discovered an interesting one by Lorimer in the historic Advocates Library in Edinburgh which lists full names of those who left the Library never to return:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/15191661708/in/photolist-24xKCp4-DTSH4t-C3x7aw-Z5nknm-XhTB4b-RTn42U-Nuu4Cv-MCca11-MfWLrY-NawmdE-MWytHU-M33DK6-MxunKG-SVyw51-NVmp1f-B1mZMc-xCXj2N-vuztKP-rZeg2c-vDduoU-rwgepB-rhHk1g-ru5pAh-reViVp-reV6Bg-rwn2Tc-qF1MGC-pQK5g5-p9reKS-dkK3ur-brCbN1-aLaGKe-21KfFqu-CR1r8S-CJKiYY-Vf2iHN-TKFq9U-TrnjqD-LWwrhY-GK5dtV-HCpPuo-G75uM5-Go1RYN-GndFNd-DxDHg5-xYVwN4-wyiGcR-xdFe7T-wsm1Lb-f3UZgV

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 41 queries.