Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel  (Read 114966 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
MKSB January 2018 update: I'm working on multiple songs at the moment, one big hit and a couple of smaller gems, as usual not a single song works right away, it always takes a lot of time and lots of practice. Slowly but surely I'll get there. In the meantime, here's an ad I find very interesting, it's about masterclass on writing and it says it all, and I can relate to that one in regard of my lessons: stop reading this, start playing.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 08:35:51 PM »
Money For Nothing — new video on my channel. It took a while to make it, but hopefully it will shed some light on this fingerpicking awesomeness. It always hard to do songs like this, because there's no one single version of how to play it, but of course knowing what I know you can start to change it to make it, in some way, yours. Thanks for watching!

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
  • Fender Stratocaster 61'
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »
Really amazing songbook, Pavel... You really got it.
I'm still learning & performing my style with every video you post. Thanks a lot!
César.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
Really amazing songbook, Pavel... You really got it.
I'm still learning & performing my style with every video you post. Thanks a lot!
César.

:clap A pleasure, thanks for the recording by the way. And keep Knopflering! As I said, my job is just to show things, but I love it.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2018, 12:34:30 AM »
Just for kicks and giggles tried to apply a couple of random emulated amps and pedals on my acoustic "Money For Nothing" riff and this is the result. A bonus track for your ears — Why Aye Man riff played on a real Les Paul a couple of years ago. Sounds ridiculous, well, because it is. Pavel.

https://soundcloud.com/pavel-fomenkov/mfnwam

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2018, 12:50:29 AM »
Did you record voice and guitar simultaneously or separately? Your playing is amazing as always but if you managed to sing and play this at the same time like MK does you have two brains. That’s cheating  :lol :clap
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »
Did you record voice and guitar simultaneously or separately? Your playing is amazing as always but if you managed to sing and play this at the same time like MK does you have two brains. That’s cheating  :lol :clap

Simultaneously and I talk about singing and playing in the Verse & Chorus section. It's not that hard! Although I must admit, at the first glance it completely blew my mind and I thought "How does he do that?!", but when you break down the vocal part it becomes pretty easy and goes along the playing smoothly. Another geniously put together song.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »
I played and sang MFN several times in the past but never managed to sing along with the main riff. My brain and my hands never reached an agreement lol

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
I played and sang MFN several times in the past but never managed to sing along with the main riff. My brain and my hands never reached an agreement lol

To me it's even easier than to sing the verse, because there's clear key words. Like, "that's" falling right on the top note in the first half oh the riff, "guys" is also a key word. Then "on" is a key word and of course "little" in the phrase "little finger". But if you can't do it in the 1 BPM tempo, then you won't do it in the normal tempo as well, so just develop it slowly. Not you in particular, I just describe my process. Once it "clicks" you can't get it out of your head even if you try.

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:29 PM »
brillant, as always  :thumbsup

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 11:43:57 PM »

Thank you JF! Do you have maybe some kind of a critical input on the quality or something? Because I'm feeling like with each video I get lower and lower in quality department and after this MFN one I couldn't sleep well because I still think it's a disaster of a video and I don't know why. Just couldn't stand it. I won't delete it simply because of 6-7 hours of making that went into doing this and I'm too lazy for redoing that one.

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
No, quality is always excellent
what do you mean ? video quality ? sound quality ?
I didn't see or hear any kind of problem.
It's all clear. explanations are perfect. singing and playing as well.
the 2 close-ups are very helpfull because we can see both hands distinctely.
playing at slower tempo is also very helpffull to see what's going on both hands.
I am far far far away from your music/guitar skills and I learn a lot with each video you post
All I can say is don't change anything !

PS : regarding music therory in general, I just have a question about diminished and augmented chords. I never really understood why they are named this way.
To my ears it's the reverse :
a 5th augmented chord sounds "diminished" because the 5th augmented is the minor third of the degre one for me, so it's sound as the chord was a little bit "stepped down"
on the contrary, a diminished chord sounds "augmented" to my ears, because it's the root note that is 1/2 tone up.
I had thsi thoughts when "learning" how to play "please come home for christmas", like the eagles version
When the "dim Eb" comes in just after the D chord, in my ears, I hear a D7, with the root note changing into Eb. To me it sounds "augmented"
And when the E5 aug comes in, I hear the C note, which is the minor third of the song key A, so it sounds "diminished", not augmented
I understand the theory, and of course I understand well that the 5th augmenetd of E chord is the C note, and I aslo undersatnd that an Eb chord is "diminished" when you have the F#-C-A notes, but I find the choice for the names  a little bit strange. what do you think ?

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »

Thank you JF! Do you have maybe some kind of a critical input on the quality or something? Because I'm feeling like with each video I get lower and lower in quality department and after this MFN one I couldn't sleep well because I still think it's a disaster of a video and I don't know why. Just couldn't stand it. I won't delete it simply because of 6-7 hours of making that went into doing this and I'm too lazy for redoing that one.

If I may, it sounds great. I mean, I see you as a highly skilled and sensitive guitar player whose singing has room to improve but suits DS/MK material. And as far as sound, editing and image quality go, it seems pretty good to me.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:31 AM »
PS : regarding music therory in general, I just have a question about diminished and augmented chords. I never really understood why they are named this way.
To my ears it's the reverse :
a 5th augmented chord sounds "diminished" because the 5th augmented is the minor third of the degre one for me, so it's sound as the chord was a little bit "stepped down"
on the contrary, a diminished chord sounds "augmented" to my ears, because it's the root note that is 1/2 tone up.
I had thsi thoughts when "learning" how to play "please come home for christmas", like the eagles version
When the "dim Eb" comes in just after the D chord, in my ears, I hear a D7, with the root note changing into Eb. To me it sounds "augmented"
And when the E5 aug comes in, I hear the C note, which is the minor third of the song key A, so it sounds "diminished", not augmented
I understand the theory, and of course I understand well that the 5th augmenetd of E chord is the C note, and I aslo undersatnd that an Eb chord is "diminished" when you have the F#-C-A notes, but I find the choice for the names  a little bit strange. what do you think ?

Thank you again and again! To be die honest, I'm not a fan of music theory at all and I don't really know a lot of it, I just know a little bit from all over the place. I know all the modes, I know the construction of a fugue and many other things, but nothing too deep. Same with chords. With that said, I'm now interested in this diminished/augmented difference and I'll take some time into learning it and will answer properly.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 12:39:40 AM »
If I may, it sounds great. I mean, I see you as a highly skilled and sensitive guitar player whose singing has room to improve but suits DS/MK material. And as far as sound, editing and image quality go, it seems pretty good to me.

Thanks for a reasoned feedback! Funny, but I also think of my voice as a disaster basically, but in its own right, which nevertheless can be applied to DS/MK material, but that's because Mark isn't really a singer just as well. I don't know who's crazy enough to call him a proper singer, although the older he gets, the better he sings and the songs like "Restless Farewell", "The Lily of The West" and others are masterpieces of the vocal performance. So it really depends, but I have even lesser range than Mark, so my voice is automatically "worse", which is a bummer :'(

Mark has rich deep baritone there as I can't sing anything lower than the ridiculous 5th string of the guitar.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 37 queries.