Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel  (Read 115154 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 02:53:40 PM »
but that's because Mark isn't really a singer just as well. I don't know who's crazy enough to call him a proper singer

MK is not a proper singer ? really ?
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 03:33:17 PM »
but that's because Mark isn't really a singer just as well. I don't know who's crazy enough to call him a proper singer

Absolutely. He's a proper songwriter, but with calling him not a proper singer I give $1000 that even he himself would agree. Because he said it often anyway, but some people tend to think of it as being modest, while it's being honest more than being modest. It also true when he says he's not a very melodic composer, which also always get treated like modesty, but in reality it also is true. So in his interviews Mark never underestimate himself, but have a very realistic and consistent point of view, which only gives even more points to his personality.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 03:42:26 PM »

Absolutely. He's a proper songwriter, but with calling him not a proper singer I give $1000 that even he himself would agree. Because he said it often anyway, but some people tend to think of it as being modest, while it's being honest more than being modest. It also true when he says he's not a very melodic composer, which also always get treated like modesty, but in reality it also is true. So in his interviews Mark never underestimate himself, but have a very realistic and consistent point of view, which only gives even more points to his personality.

Please... he also says he is not so good at the guitar...
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
Please... he also says he is not so good at the guitar...

I understand where you're coming from, let me elaborate. He says that he's not so good at the guitar when he compare himself to the likes of Chet Atkins and others. And about singing he says he's not a singer when he compare himself to the likes of, in his own words, Dolly Parton and others, the people who are famous because of their singing or guitar playing. And I basically said that with people who think that Mark is a proper singer, one must be crazy to call him a proper singer, because in the list of his achievements singing would be not even in the first two hundreds.

It's vitally important to always know that at any point of life there's someone better than you, so as someone in the worse situation as you. So when Mark get asked about his guitar playing, he thinks of Chet Atkins being on top, and a beginner guitar player at the low point and rate himself above the average, because, well, this is the truth. And nobody here talks about individuality, character or sound. It's just pure self-evaluation.

To tell you the truth, I rate myself as being no guitar player at all. I can play something, but I make basically zero sense out of it. I don't play in bands, I don't write music, I don't teach. I only play for videos and for myself. So that's why I rate myself being on the very deep end of a big ocean of guitar players, because, in the end, it's true.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2018, 04:15:36 PM »
To tell you the truth, I rate myself as being no guitar player at all.

Pretty strange to tell that to someone who as you know can't play at all because of an unknown disease

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »
To tell you the truth, I rate myself as being no guitar player at all.

Pretty strange to tell that to someone who as you know can't play at all because of an unknown disease

Yes, I know ;)

If only I could, I'd give my playing ability to you.

But I write it not to you personally, I write it on a public forum so everyone can see that. Please don't take it too personally, because a genuine fan is always a genuine fan and since we both don't have a solid career because of our playing (or no playing), we have nothing at all to fight for. If one day I'll can't play guitar, I'll just hang it on the wall and will do things I can do instead, because life is beautiful anyway.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »
I'm going to attempt my first live stream event ever, so please be patient. I wanted to do that immediately, when I did receive a pack of Mark Knopfler TAB books today. I think it's going to be interesting and also short. But I already have a couple of things to say. The link is here:

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
Guys, we're here because we are MK fans, not because we play or do not play the guitar. I used to play the guitar, I even recorded an album and stuff. I no longer play the guitar and... I'm still here:)

You're both saying the same thing. Mark's guitar playing and songwriting allow him to sing. I mean, if Mark was only a singer he'd still be writing articles or giving english lessons. That being said, I don't think anybody can sing his songs better than him. You can't say the same about Dylan, for example. At least that's how I see it - and that's what I think you both meant. I might be wrong though.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »
I don't think anybody can sing his songs better than him.

That's what I meant, yes I agree, not sure if that's also quiz position since he says MK is not a proper singer

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »
I don't think anybody can sing his songs better than him.

That's what I meant, yes I agree, not sure if that's also quiz position since he says MK is not a proper singer

This is my position, too, I just dig deeper than that and try to see the big picture. Compared to Dolly Parton MK isn't a proper singer, but for his own songs he's the "properest" singer that there is. Nowadays he sings much better, but in the early days he was basically a rapper :lol

I'm not trying to criticise anybody, it's just seeing the big picture. In other words, not a proper singer compared to what?

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
  • Fender Stratocaster 61'
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »
Maybe MK is not a amazing singer. But ... you try to sing "Industrial Disease" or "Milionaire Blues" (for example) without looking foolish  :lol  :lol  :lol

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »
Maybe MK is not a amazing singer. But ... you try to sing "Industrial Disease" or "Milionaire Blues" (for example) without looking foolish  :lol  :lol  :lol

Well, I don't get tongue-tied, but sometimes I get the lyrics mixed up and the less said about my Dr Parkinson impersonation the better!  :-X
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
Come back and see me later, next patient please
 ;D
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »
Now imagine Mark mumbling (or rapping) the lyrics like that nowadays :lol
This is why he transfer himself now more into the "proper" singing territory.

Love Expresso

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2018, 09:30:23 PM »
 He would not cope with it.. I really wonder how he could do it ... the whole Love Over Gold project seemed to benefit from a total outburst of energy and creativity, never reached again before or after.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.