Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Legacy - Jesus Street (New Song) live in Brazil- 2017  (Read 47176 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineybot

• Camerado
Re: Dire Straits Legacy - Jesus Street (New Song) live in Brazil- 2017
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2019, 01:30:42 AM »
Yes, they played "owner of a lonely heart"

At least that guy can sing ;D
Th problem is not to sing, his playing does not transmits he is in MK boots
I imagine Alan Clark private opininions

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2019, 01:37:42 AM »
I´m not being hateful. Don´t get me wrong, i love tribute bands, but like we say in our land, the whole thing is an "I want but i can´t". Despite having good ingredients (Alan, Ferrone, Collins), tho whole recipe is a mess. About 2013, when they had Pick on drums, they made several good covers of the DS songs (hit and miss, to be honest), but nowadays, this only gets worse. I think that Caviglia and Palmer are guilty of this disaster.

Im not commenting about considerate and promote youself like "The original band" or even "The continuation of Dire Straits", but, jesus, the whole set is lacklust. They sound, slow, tired, not appealing, without shining solo parts ¿Where is Alan?, Collins (brilliant sax player, i love his recent live works with King Crimson) put some interesting arrangements, but sometimes is too much, Caviglia sounds average on guitar (my neighbour is a just a "beedroom guitarrist" and plays better. I mean, Caviglia does not make anything special) and horrible on vocals (Danny or Trevorhorn sing much better), Ferrone doesn´t sound good in many songs (despite of being a wonderful drummer) and the accordeon in songs like MFN or is something that deserve a punishment.

Just my 2 cents

If we think about a tribute act, this is one of the most presuntuous, and one of the worst sounding ones. Honestly, i prefer to listen small or medium bands of friends who play DS songs with love, respect and humbleness, and even sounds good!! without pretending being the successors of anything. They are who keep the legacy, not this fakers.
Nice comment!!
I believe, Marco does not lead the band, Alan or phil are the ones in charge
Caviglio guitar sound and loudness is lower.
Chck any other tribute band(dire strats, brothers in band, real straits, brothers in arms) , these tribute band have their guitarrists who surely play much better than Caviglia

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2019, 01:40:42 AM »
I´m not being hateful. Don´t get me wrong, i love tribute bands, but like we say in our land, the whole thing is an "I want but i can´t". Despite having good ingredients (Alan, Ferrone, Collins), tho whole recipe is a mess. About 2013, when they had Pick on drums, they made several good covers of the DS songs (hit and miss, to be honest), but nowadays, this only gets worse. I think that Caviglia and Palmer are guilty of this disaster.

Im not commenting about considerate and promote youself like "The original band" or even "The continuation of Dire Straits", but, jesus, the whole set is lacklust. They sound, slow, tired, not appealing, without shining solo parts ¿Where is Alan?, Collins (brilliant sax player, i love his recent live works with King Crimson) put some interesting arrangements, but sometimes is too much, Caviglia sounds average on guitar (my neighbour is a just a "beedroom guitarrist" and plays better. I mean, Caviglia does not make anything special) and horrible on vocals (Danny or Trevorhorn sing much better), Ferrone doesn´t sound good in many songs (despite of being a wonderful drummer) and the accordeon in songs like MFN or is something that deserve a punishment.

Just my 2 cents

If we think about a tribute act, this is one of the most presuntuous, and one of the worst sounding ones. Honestly, i prefer to listen small or medium bands of friends who play DS songs with love, respect and humbleness, and even sounds good!! without pretending being the successors of anything. They are who keep the legacy, not this fakers.

Yes, well said, that's basically what I meant by 'shameless' while at the same time proposing the whole thing as something official or semi-official
They are less than a regular tribute band.
Apity, because AC and Phil palmer keep the same proffesionalism as ususal.
Jack Sonni a showman , as always
He was the only how came after they end the gig to greet.

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2019, 01:43:30 AM »
When they played SOS here in Buenos aires april 11th there was a sound malfunction of Caviglia guitar, in the middle of the song he could not play the solos and in the end he asked phil Palmer to play the last solo.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
When they played SOS here in Buenos aires april 11th there was a sound malfunction of Caviglia guitar, in the middle of the song he could not play the solos and in the end he asked phil Palmer to play the last solo.

so you were lucky
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »
I was really mad about it, I wanted to ask them to play it again, but well.
I was sitting on the 2nd line.
I could see AC's work because he was 2 meters away from me, he uses sound and voices effects i did not know.

Offlineenrkaton82

• Guitar George
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »

Just my 2 cents

Nice comment!!
I believe, Marco does not lead the band, Alan or phil are the ones in charge
Caviglio guitar sound and loudness is lower.
Chck any other tribute band(dire strats, brothers in band, real straits, brothers in arms) , these tribute band have their guitarrists who surely play much better than Caviglia

I guess that Alan has his part of the leadingship, despite of the fact that we don´t se so much soloing or piano/organ parts. However, Phil has the spotlight several times.

I know these tribute acts, some via Youtube (specially Dire Strats, from germany. Their guitarrist is a monster), some because i have seen it live. For instance, i have seen Real Straits (really good ones) and Brothers in Band (three times, so i guess that i am able to juzgue. Very moving, also). I believe that these tribute bands keep the legacy much better.

I remember something that Ángel (lead guitar and singer from Real Straits) used to say in the live shows "We are not the real ones, but we are real ones". At the end of the day, i think that that´s all that matters: A bunch of great musicians who play whith talent and passion old songs that aren´t theirs, but that they care of these old tunes with affection and an huge respect, respecting the catalog of DS, the figure of MK and the craft of all musicians who played in DS. From that point of view, tribute band musicians are like us, fans who show a huge respect to MK, without wanting to dance in any "old shoes".

In order to cover DS music, a great technique and musical skill is needed, and big vintage (and expensive) sound stuff is also needed. Also passion, respect and affection towards this tunes. But this is not enough. Also "something more" is needed. I think that "DS legacy" have not that, but several cover bands have understood what that "something more" really means.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:21:51 PM by enrkaton82 »
And we have just one world...

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
ANGEL, from "real straits" use to play DS live song note for note.
He places each note at their side. This tribute band is the best copying live DS live songs
At "dire strats" coverband, Wolfgang Uhlich plays the guitar and there is a very nice singer. As Wolfgang is free to play he plays the best.
Legacy's solos are like studio versions.
Phil helps Marco.
We know that MK was reluctant to allow tje other musicans to alter their note. He was the only who modified each solo in each live gig

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2019, 12:50:32 PM »
I am sorry, but no matter how many of these tribute bands etc I hear, there is always something missing, that being Mark Knopfler, his unique voice and guitar is sorely missed by these bands.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
Yes, MK is missing, but, MK at 2019 is half the one of the 90's .
Some tribute bands mimick DS in its best times.
MK alone sings few DS songs and they are a shadow of our old live versions

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2019, 01:12:06 PM »
That's fine for some people, for me I would rather just watch Alchemy.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »
No-one can replace MK.  He is unique!  Even though he is not the same as in the early days when he was younger, I would much rather watch MK as he is now than a very good tribute band!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
I must say, I thought the Dire Straits Experience sounded quite good. Although I'm not a fan of tribute bands, I too would rather go to MK himself.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »
I must say, I thought the Dire Straits Experience sounded quite good. Although I'm not a fan of tribute bands, I too would rather go to MK himself.

You can go to MK and also could go to a good tribute band as well...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 37 queries.