Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Music - Delta Blues? Soul? Roots? Funk? Reggae? R&B? Bluegrass?  (Read 2074 times)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
For those who like a bit of blues and R&B a local Adelaide guitar band The Streamliners
The lead singer/guitar Nick Kipridis, has a rare playing style very lyrical.

REVIEWS:-
THE MUSIC ‘The streamliners don’t sound like anyone else …they’re not blues, not soul, not roots, not jazz, not funk…yet they are all these things and they sound just like the streamliners....these guys really have a sound of their own…they’re truly a unique band’ ‘Blues Power’ 3D Radio FM Adelaide has been blessed for so long to have a band like the Streamliners playing at their local venue just up the street. Audiences go to see this band to make sure they’re still around because no one is quite sure when they’ll leave town and never come back…why????? They are truly one of the most original and unique roots-rock bands around Australia if not internationally. Anyone could tell you that these 4 musicians have a certain synergy that’s quite rare and truly unique. The 2 guitarists have totally different guitar playing techniques and have performed at quite a few workshops through the years. “Mention the Streamliners to any guitarist”, and they have nothing but words of praise…..Shane Pacey ‘Bondi Cigars’, Ian Moss, Don Walker, Rob Pippin ‘Zep Boyz’, James Muller, James Tee ’Canned Heat’, Rob Riley ‘Rose Tattoo’, Bill Rankin'The Satellites', Steve Smith ‘The Hiptones’ to mention a few. The rhythm section certainly holds its own weight…Dennis Kipridis has come runner up twice at the SAMIA awards for Best bass player and Steve Peterka is also the principle percussionist for the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. Sum this up, and together with the wide array of musical influences in the band, it certainly explains why The Streamliners have such a unique sound. It can be all heard on their latest 4th release ‘Under the Moondogs’ already receiving rave reviews within the Music industry and radio announcers…… …their sound has always been a difficult one to categorise. The band label’s its music as “roots-rock” , due to the many styles their unique sound encapsulates . These include delta blues, R&B, swamp, rock, bluegrass and soul. THE HISTORY the streamliners formed in 1989 originally as a quintet consisting of the core members nick, dennis and sav with a harmonicist The music mainly focused on the early urban rhythm & blues sounds of the 4o`s and 5o`s. It was a combination of styles from roots music, rockabilly, Louisiana swamp, and traditional Delta and Chicago style blues. The band in 1992 had added a horn section consisting of a tenor saxophonist and trumpeter The band`s sound evolved to include a repertoire of The “Stax” sound and soul music with influences such as Fredie King, T-Bone Walker, Tom Waits, and Albert King In 1994, the trumpet gave way to a baritone saxophonist It was at this time, that the streamliners received national recognition due to their four tracks released on the `deep south` compilation, ( blues club/shock records ). Consequently, earning them `best new R&B band` award at the Lithgow blues festival, NSW. Their song `hummingbird`, came runner up as `best R&B song `and nick kipridis achieved runner up for `best new male artist`. 1995 saw the band return to the now current, four-piece line up. This line up has since recorded a further 3 albums and consistently have kept audiences and musicians in awe with their strong live performances in both Adelaide and interstate THE REVIEWS Moondogs is not a good roots or blues album …it’s an exceptionally excellent album full stop…..this deserves national and international recognition. Radio Adelaide FM I’ve considered Nick and Sav as 2 of the best guitarists in SA……and this album “Moondogs” certain showcases this…..I just can’t work out why this band isn’t one of the biggest thing Nationally in the roots music scene. Saturday Blues, Radio Adelaide FM the chemistry of these 4 musicians is phenomenal….rarely can you see music played live with so much intensity and verve…. ‘Blues Power’ 3D Radio FM The streamliners are an institution for roots music in Australia.……by far one of the best bands around ‘Blues Power’ 3D Radio FM Strong live performances, unique dual guitar arrangements, strong rich vocals, great originals coupled with a solid rhythm section…….this is roots music at its best. The guitar show 2006 The Streamliners have got to be one of the best, tightest, and most talented bands playing around today……their playing is spot on, the singer, Nick’s voice is deep and pure, and their soloing capabilities are phenomenal. Believe me, the Streamliners are an entity that have to be witnessed to be fully appreciated. Stix & Thongs …..they are possibly two of the best guitarists in SA. 3D Radio FM It’s the strong mature, soulful vocals of …. The Streamliners’ Nick Kipridis that stands out so prominently.” Rhythms Magazine Soul drenched vocals backed by two guitars. Excellent four piece. Ballaratt Blues Festival The Streamliners were at one time one of Adelaide's best-kept secrets and may have stayed that way if it wasn't for the Blues Club Record's release" Deep South" of 1994….. The band followed this with their independent debut release, "Waiting On You", which superbly demonstrated their musical prowess. While not definitely constrained within the blues idiom, the rootsy feel coupled with a more cosmopolitan flavour, and combined with the earthy vocal delivery of Nick Kipridis, found instant acceptance among a wide musical fraternity… Highway 49 News The Streamliners' "Two Minutes To Curtains" EP, long-rumoured and recently released, is a long playing seven-track EP of superbly captured live performance: crisp clean sound and tight knit performance…... Highway 49 News The guitarists work brilliantly together, always playing for the song rather than ego.

Willow Woman 

Irises

Underneath the Moondogs

Won’t Deny It

Preachin’ Days

Sub-Station Blues

Rolin' with the Devel

House of Fire

Here I am

Midnight Rider

Kazza Wanna

So Many Things

"The 2’.19"

Studio versions
Raw Deal
http://www.triplejunearthed.com/jukebox/play/track/326456
Dark Bill
http://www.triplejunearthed.com/jukebox/play/track/326451
Moondog
http://www.triplejunearthed.com/jukebox/play/track/326461

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
Re: New Music - Blues?, Soul?, Roots?, Funk?, Reggae?,R&B?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:49:35 PM »
 :o :o I just watched "Sub-station blues" and to me it's "Southbound again"  ??? ???
It's strange to me that none of the reviews compare the guitar style (phrasing? not sure if that's the term) to MK's. To my ear there are a lot of similarities.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 36 queries.