Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Should MK retire from music ?  (Read 15277 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
Should MK retire from music ?
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:07:28 AM »
Hello

I'm sure this will cause some controversy but it is really a reaction to some of the views expressed since the announcement was made about the new projects.

Many people have spent however long it has been waiting for an announcement about what MK is working on and now news has broken the general feeling seems to be somewhat underwhelming and regarding any resulting tour that over the last few years the music has deteriorated considerably.

It got me thinking : should MK pack it in? Or should we simply expect less of him? He's spent his whole life
Writing and recording music, but the formula of recording / album / tour may need rethinking now.

I think we should give the guy a break ... I've got so much music of his I'm happy to listen to what I have. Put your feet up MK I say!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Should MK retire from music ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:31:21 AM »
There are three bottles—one says "songwriting", the second says "recording and touring", and the third says "guitar playing".

As we all know, Mark "enjoys the whole cycle"™, although through the time the mixture of these was completely different. I see it like, nowadays "songwriting" is taking for him as much space as possible, as he even decided to write constantly on the road with people "only seeng him in the lift with a stool going to his hotel suit to write songs".

Obviously, you can't juggle all the three bottles perfectly, even though you love all three of them equally.

So, inevitably, Mark stays now in a unique position, where due to his age and other factors he have less time and choice for getting all the aspects of his music as perfect as it used to be and struggle to balance it all. As an infinite amount of people did mention before, his touring already got out of control, as well as guitar playing (a bit, of course, but still, it's not my point). His strongest power is still songwriting and it is stronger than ever, so with all of that being said all I can think about it is this:

— It would be nice for him to tour less, but without degrading the quality
— to record and release as much of material as he can (which he does)
— and yes, to rethink his set-list completely to fit his 2017-18 world

And yes, I know he'll do it, because his name is Albert Einstein Mark Knopfler!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:40:54 AM by quizzaciously »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
I believe Mark is self-aware and humble enough to realize when it's time to shift his priorities. In a way, he already took such a decision when he disbanded Dire Straits.

As you say, he's in a very fortunate position in that he's both an incredible songwriter AND a brilliant musician. His technical guitar skills will deteriorate, no doubt – they already have significantly - but the great thing is that for HIM (as opposed to less gifted musicians who are "just" players) that's not a problem. First, he's still a better guitarist than most people will ever dream of being. Maybe he should put "Sultans" aside, yes, but he'll remain a joy to listen to for the foreseeable future. Second, and most importantly, he's as great a songwriter as he ever was, and that's an ability you don't just lose with age. Even if both of his hands should be cut off (heaven forbid), he could continue to write songs. And since he's simply the best songwriter I've ever heard of, his songs - ideally played by him, but even if played by someone else - will always be something I look forward to. I'll never have enough of them.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »
I believe Mark is self-aware and humble enough to realize when it's time to shift his priorities. In a way, he already took such a decision when he disbanded Dire Straits.

As you say, he's in a very fortunate position in that he's both an incredible songwriter AND a brilliant musician. His technical guitar skills will deteriorate, no doubt – they already have significantly - but the great thing is that for HIM (as opposed to less gifted musicians who are "just" players) that's not a problem. First, he's still a better guitarist than most people will ever dream of being. Maybe he should put "Sultans" aside, yes, but he'll remain a joy to listen to for the foreseeable future. Second, and most importantly, he's as great a songwriter as he ever was, and that's an ability you don't just lose with age. Even if both of his hands should be cut off (heaven forbid), he could continue to write songs. And since he's simply the best songwriter I've ever heard of, his songs - ideally played by him, but even if played by someone else - will always be something I look forward to. I'll never have enough of them.

Totally agree!    :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »
Last night at British Grove...

Guy: "Hey Mark, these Get-A-Lifers from AMIT are talking about us stop making music..."

"AAAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHH  HAAA HAAA HAA"  (from studio 2, where John and Mike hang around, tuning their whistles..)

Mark: "For fuck sake Guyus, stop surfing the internet.. we have SO much work to do... our Mysterious Project as those wankers call it is not ready yet, and we have only just recorded 24 songs from my 68-song-project...."

Guy: "Yes, sorry Mark"

Mark: "Have you done the photography for the Box Set? Do you think Kitty can do ALL the work??  What about the Neumann Mic ebay auction? When will the Choir arrive? When on earth will you finally start the Diary as promised? Boy, you are SO lazy..." (strumming his Martin..)

Guy: "Errm... Want a cuppa tea?"

Mark:"Hmmm.. what... yeah yeah... had an idea last night, have a new title for my album.... will call it "TYNE - 68 - Songs"   Get it? 1968??  I am getting 68 in August?""

Guy: "Super idea, Mark! Best idea you ever had!!"

(Door opens, Glen Saggers peeps in): "The LP is ready, set up for killer solo take 19, ready if you are! By the way, have you read what they write on AM.."

(Stops talking, Mark gives him a very cold view)

A moment of silence, Mark strumming and mumbling, whistle sound coming in from Studio 2, whistle and pipes...

Phone rings!

(Guy picks up and jokes warmly with Bob Dylan about the first 16 rough demo versions that Bob had  listened to and gives a thumps up)

Mark: "So what about my cup of tea??"

(Guy hastily puts down the phone and beetles off into the kitchen)

Mark: (mumbles)   "Hmmmm..... I need an Orchestra.... with strings... Dahummm...dahummm.... dee dee dum deeee ..."   Guy?  Call Rupert!!  NOW!!! Guy?  GUUUUUY!!!!"

;)

Mark will play until he falls over! Nuff said!

LE

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »
There has been a lot of nonsense being talked on this forum over past few months.

Mark Knopfler's guitar playing is still of an incredible standard. His phrasing, quick flurries and melodic instinct are still as good as ever, if not better.

I do not recognise many of the comments about his live performances deteriorating, his shows are ever improving to my ears. Barcelona and Manchester were the best I have ever seen from him and his great band.

In general, the overall musicianship, respect / interpretation of his songs is ever evolving taking things to a higher level.

Emotionally his shows are as engaging and beautiful as they ever have been.

MK is a victim of his own brilliance in my opinion.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »
LE :lol :lol :lol
Bravo! :clap :clap

No nonsence, Millionaire Blues, because to hate everything is equally insane as to love everything. There must be a line in between...
MK is a victim of his own brilliance, but nobody tortured him to put Broken Bones as an opener, it just happens to be the worst opener.

I agree with everything you said, guitar playing and writing, just don't throw away some things that are pretty objective. Like...
2015 live recordings was really bad sounding? Correct. Was Broken Bones one of his worst openers of all time? It was. You get the idea.

Speaking of retirement, you know Mark was born in Scotland, and you know Sean Connery was born in Scotland, too. And he decided to quit acting in 2003, when he was 73 and lives happily ever since. Obviously, he can act, but he just don't want to do it. I don't think that Mark will be touring as hard as the likes of Chuck Berry or B.B. King in their 70s and 80s, maybe he would even quit, but writing? It's a timeless activity.

As Penn Jillette of "Penn & Teller" said — "No plans to retire.  I will die in office."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
There has been a lot of nonsense being talked on this forum over past few months.

Mark Knopfler's guitar playing is still of an incredible standard. His phrasing, quick flurries and melodic instinct are still as good as ever, if not better.

I do not recognise many of the comments about his live performances deteriorating, his shows are ever improving to my ears. Barcelona and Manchester were the best I have ever seen from him and his great band.

In general, the overall musicianship, respect / interpretation of his songs is ever evolving taking things to a higher level.

Emotionally his shows are as engaging and beautiful as they ever have been.

MK is a victim of his own brilliance in my opinion.
I kind of concur.
Yesterday I listened to both Lyon 2005 and Sion 2015 recordings.
While there is little doubt that the 2005 playing was faster and more technical, it is not obvious to me that it is the better recording.
What has been lost in the technical side (a little bit - not that drastic, still very high standards) has been regained on the emotion, quality of voice, clarity of instruments.
Take TR - Lyon 2005 is longer and faster. But Sion 2015 is more touching.
Broken bones is no masterpiece but I didn't mind it.
2015 SOS, TR, BIA, SAN, HFB, KOG, GH are among my very favorites to listen to on my phone playlist. BIA has the intro and flute it had been lacking for years.
If MK is still able to tour in 2018 as per 2015 standards I will happily go for 10+ shows.
So I don't want him to retire.
And songwriting skills are outstanding so I still want him to make albums.
Short answer to the question is a definite no.

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »
Before the tour I dreamed of Broken Bones being the opener, it's a cool track!!

Corn Beef City on the other hand!!

:smack

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »
Before the tour I dreamed of Broken Bones being the opener, it's a cool track!!

Corn Beef City on the other hand!!

:smack

If you dreamt about BB as an opener then I can confirm I don't know a thing about this world. I would never even think of BB as an opener...
Sometimes I can be grumpy and moaning, but I know that the main thing Mark can teach you is being happy, so I'm happy he's still going :clap

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »
I'm waiting for a lesson on BB from you my friend!!!

:lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »
I'm waiting for a lesson on BB from you my friend!!!

:lol

Challenge accepted! ;D

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
In my opinion, that does not make much sense. It's obvious that he loves writing and recording, so why would he stop? He has said plenty of times that he doesn't need the money anymore, and he does it just because the loves it, the whole thing.

As for his touring/playing ability, I think his playing has clearly got worse over time and as the years went by, which his completely normal considering his fingers are almost 70 years old (and we should be thankful he doesn't suffer from arthritis like Clapton).

In my view, 1992 Mark Knopfler was the best guitarist I've ever seen. There was nothing that man could not do at that peak.

Love Expresso

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
The sheer amount of guitar solos... playing... two hours night after night... for decades .. since 1978... makes me think that there HAS to be some kind of health tribute in terms of his hands... All those OES shows... flabbergasted about how a man could deliver that every time I read about that number of shows...

I remember on the 2005 tour he had massive problems with his wrists and Guy quoted him in his tour diary "too many Sultans, too much Telegraph Roads..."  I guess it is not getting better with the years...

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
In my opinion, that does not make much sense. It's obvious that he loves writing and recording, so why would he stop? He has said plenty of times that he doesn't need the money anymore, and he does it just because the loves it, the whole thing.

As for his touring/playing ability, I think his playing has clearly got worse over time and as the years went by, which his completely normal considering his fingers are almost 70 years old (and we should be thankful he doesn't suffer from arthritis like Clapton).

In my view, 1992 Mark Knopfler was the best guitarist I've ever seen. There was nothing that man could not do at that peak.

I can't remember when Mark said something like that about money, I only remember when he said he will run his studio until his accountant say it doesn't make any money. In fact, Van Morrison said point-blank in an interview, that he tours a lot nowadays, because he have a lot of stuff waiting to be paid, and he has exactly the same estimated net worth as MK and doesn't even have a recording studio which literally demand millions of dollars. I don't want to discuss someone's money here, but my point is—it's easy to think of guys like MK or VM that because he's a millionaire he can do nothing for his entire life and do everything just because he "wants it". It doesn't work like that!

And yes, in the early 90s Mark was a monster player who made many people quit guitar I suppose. I love that he learn jazz more and more!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 41 queries.