Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Setlist  (Read 5238 times)

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Dire Straits Setlist
« on: July 25, 2017, 03:24:59 AM »
Hi everybody!

I have formed a Dire Straits tribute band and I wanted to know your opinions about the setlist we're gonna perform in our gigs. (I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, so if the mods think it should be moved to a different section, please do so.)

1 - Calling Elvis
2 - Walk of Life
3 - Heavy Fuel
4 - The Bug
5 - Wild West End
6 - Tunnel of Love
7 - On Every Street
8 - Sultans of Swing
9 - Water of Love
10 - Lions
11 - Why Worry
12 - Money For Nothing
13 - Brothers in Arms
14 - So Far Away

15 - Solid Rock
16 - Wild Theme

Also, another question: If there was a Dire Straits reunion tour, is this the kind of setlist you'd like to see?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:27:29 AM by rmarques821 »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Dire Straits Setlist
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
This would be too much OES-centric to me.
No need for The Big, Heavy Fuel...
I would love to have a 1981-like setlist with TR. Perfect balance of old and new. Maybe changing Angel of Mercy for Brothers in Arms and adding MFN and OES to have a complete balance...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »
First of all I would say it is a set I would be very pleased with and couldn't complain about.  However, you did ask for comments so here are some of mine.  Without knowing how you perform the songs I would prefer to see TOL as a climax prior to the encores.

I would agree with Herlock that songs like The Bug and HF are not really what fans would be excited to hear.  They are also similar sounding to Walk of Life and MFN, both of which are also in the set.  BIA and MFN are must-haves though.

All being said though, it's a great set and I'd walk out the venue a very happy bunny if Mark played that these days!  Good luck with your band.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
This would be too much OES-centric to me.
No need for The Big, Heavy Fuel...
I would love to have a 1981-like setlist with TR. Perfect balance of old and new. Maybe changing Angel of Mercy for Brothers in Arms and adding MFN and OES to have a complete balance...

Thanks for your opinion! I'll remove The Bug and add something from Communique. Though, I can't remove Brothers in Arms. People would kill me if we didn't play that one!  ;D

PS: We did think about Telegraph Road, but it's way too long and we have time restraints.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:33:45 PM by rmarques821 »

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
First of all I would say it is a set I would be very pleased with and couldn't complain about.  However, you did ask for comments so here are some of mine.  Without knowing how you perform the songs I would prefer to see TOL as a climax prior to the encores.

I would agree with Herlock that songs like The Bug and HF are not really what fans would be excited to hear.  They are also similar sounding to Walk of Life and MFN, both of which are also in the set.  BIA and MFN are must-haves though.

All being said though, it's a great set and I'd walk out the venue a very happy bunny if Mark played that these days!  Good luck with your band.

Hey dmg, thanks for your input. We play the Alchemy version of Tunnel of Love. We'll play it before the encore now, i'll swap it with So Far Away.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »

Hey dmg, thanks for your input. We play the Alchemy version of Tunnel of Love. We'll play it before the encore now, i'll swap it with So Far Away.
dmg will tell you that he would rather play a 1985 version of TOL than a 1983 one :) Alhtough some people feel that the 1985 was a bit overblown with the cheesy backing vocals and the dragged end solo... :)
I did not tell you to remove BIA by the way ! yes we need it badly ! :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »

dmg will tell you that he would rather play a 1985 version of TOL than a 1983 one :) Alhtough some people feel that the 1985 was a bit overblown with the cheesy backing vocals and the dragged end solo... :)

Better an '83 version than no version at all!   ;)

Dragged end solo???  :o

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »

À bit long to come to the point :)
Personnally I'm like you, I (slightly) prefer '85, but to my surprise I read lots of comments on YouTube saying that Wembley 85 was over the top, that the end solo was sacred and that Mark played around too much with it, and the Alchemy version was better in every aspect ! Oh well...

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »

Personnally I'm like you, I (slightly) prefer '85, but to my surprise I read lots of comments on YouTube saying that Wembley 85 was over the top, that the end solo was sacred and that Mark played around too much with it, and the Alchemy version was better in every aspect ! Oh well...

My favourite version are the 91/92 versions and the earlier versions (Old Grey Whistle Test). I like the Alchemy version, but for some reason I never got very fond of the 1985/86 versions.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I must have listened to Alchemy TOL about a million times and know every note and Mark never really nailed the end solo.  An important note at the climax of the solo never quite came off which was disappointing.  There is also a very small mistake in the build-up.  There are better versions from that tour IMO.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:50:28 PM by dmg »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
Hi everybody!

I have formed a Dire Straits tribute band and I wanted to know your opinions about the setlist we're gonna perform in our gigs. (I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, so if the mods think it should be moved to a different section, please do so.)

1 - Calling Elvis --> not my favourite, but always was an ok opener. good for the soundboard to check the inhouse sound i guess
2 - Walk of Life --> cannot go wrong with this one, but then exactly like on record, with all wooowwwee's etc..
3 - Heavy Fuel --> god forbid, take....mmmm....Setting me up???
4 - The Bug --> agree with earlier comments, take something like if i had you maybe?
5 - Wild West End --> always hated this song, try iron hand maybe?
6 - Tunnel of Love --> must have, and yes, later in the set is better
7 - On Every Street --> naaaa,....do....Ride across the river?
8 - Sultans of Swing --> no comment
9 - Water of Love --> yes..but the NHB version from the 1990 shows pls...
10 - Lions --> nooooo, do it never rains....
11 - Why Worry --> nana mouskouri, i rest my case, pls do long highway, to come down from the wah wah fest from the song before.
12 - Money For Nothing --> no comment (2001 live version?)
13 - Brothers in Arms --> no comment
14 - So Far Away --> always. and add the name of each city you are playing, easy crowd hit

15 - Solid Rock --> exactly as on record, never beaten live.
16 - Wild Theme --> mmm,....mkay---

Also, another question: If there was a Dire Straits reunion tour, is this the kind of setlist you'd like to see?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:05:52 PM »

[/quote]

I must have listened to Alchemy TOL about a million times and know every note and Mark never really nailed the end solo.  An important note at the climax of the solo never quite came off which was disappointing.  There is also a very small mistake in the build-up.  There are better versions from that tour IMO.
[/quote]
Wow first time I hear that !
The solo sounds fine to me albeit a bit short...
Anyway most people prefer 85 versions but I also belong to the small group of people who prefer the sweet Pensa sound on TOL : Munich 91 brings tears to me ! Yes the intro is short, yes the bridge is less flamboyant than in 85, but the end solo is so... romantic...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 11:57:48 PM »
 :lol

Nana Mascara!  Always loved that Hillbillies joke.  Why Worry - why bother?  Since you don't do R&J, do the classic Long Highway so your audience can have a pee break.  ;D

Sorry Mr P.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
Hi everybody!

I have formed a Dire Straits tribute band and I wanted to know your opinions about the setlist we're gonna perform in our gigs.

You have to experience it.

As a performer my choice would certainly be different.
As just attending the concert this would sound ok to me.

Have fun!
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 36 queries.