Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DS. Never in latinamerica  (Read 8828 times)

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
Re: DS. Never in latinamerica
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
If you read the DSIS letters from the OES era you'll find that the original plan was to include South America. Here's something from May 1991 issue:

"As mentioned in the last newsletter, we are still intending to do the USA and Canada during February and March 1992. Then there are further European dates from April 1992 to August 1992 (during which time the intention is to include the following countries: France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, UK, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland). The tour returns to the USA from August 24th to November 14th 1992, and South America is tentatively set for December 1992. the dates in all of the above places are still being set up, but I should hopefully be able to give you a complete list by the time I do the next newsletter (July/August). If you have any country not listed above, maybe we´ll get to you in 1993 (you think i´m joking??!!)"

http://www.neck-and-neck.homepage.t-online.de/dsis/

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
Seriously, the only thing needed is a promotor that can provide anything they need, no matter where it is in the world...

In 2005 MK played in South Africa, India, Arabs Emirates, Australia and New Zealand. Why? Because there were promoters paying them enough to make it possible for the band to travel, stay etc etc.

The 2001 tour by South America was possible because some promoters worked together in gather dates in countries next to each other, and they played in Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.

I'm sure that if South American promotors suggest again the band to come back and they paid for the expenses that need to be covered by such a tour, they will back.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »
Seriously, the only thing needed is a promotor that can provide anything they need, no matter where it is in the world...

In 2005 MK played in South Africa, India, Arabs Emirates, Australia and New Zealand. Why? Because there were promoters paying them enough to make it possible for the band to travel, stay etc etc.

The 2001 tour by South America was possible because some promoters worked together in gather dates in countries next to each other, and they played in Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.

I'm sure that if South American promotors suggest again the band to come back and they paid for the expenses that need to be covered by such a tour, they will back.

I agree, but also think it needs a manager that can make it happen.  2005 was PC's first shot so he was keen to impress.  Now he just does the intros and Mark plays the same aircraft hangars every tour.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »

Yes, I can't see any reason why Mark wouldn't tour in South America these days apart from the fact that he simply doesn't want to but again, things were quite different back in the day.

To keep things simple, I'd go to the bakery with my dad, first thing in the morning, to get bread for breakfest. I can't really remember how much it cost but it was some ridiculous amount. Then mum would pick me up at school at about 6pm and by the time we hit the bakery again bread was 20% more expensive. I'm not joking. And it wasn't a one-off, that was an everyday reality.

In this scenario it was virtually impossible to bring Dire Straits. The only reason why Paul McCartney or Frank Sinatra would come was because their shows were one-offs and they were ok with using local infrastructure and equipment, something that Mark would never agree with. With such a weak currency you have to calculate the risk very carefully and bringing a huge band plus all that paraphernalia would be reckless to say the least. But again, things are very different now - and have been for a while.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:18:54 PM by ed_raposo »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
We're talking about a man who doesn't record a show in Royal Albert Hall because it's too expensive or something? How come he would come to Brazil? :lol :lol :lol

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
We're talking about a man who doesn't record a show in Royal Albert Hall because it's too expensive or something? How come he would come to Brazil? :lol :lol :lol

I don't know about that, make no mistake, touring in South America can be very profitable nowadays. I don't think all those artists I listed come over for the caipirinhas...  :lol

If Mark really cared about his fans he would come back but the truth is he can't be bothered.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »
Let's face the music. Mark does what he does. If you like it, great. If you don't, well, he won't change a thing because of that.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Actually... I believe that he trusts in his management and how they do it, it's not that Mk doesn't wants to play South America, I'm sure he would like to do it, but probably Pcm tried it and they couldn't set dates there for whatever the reason... Promoters not interested or paying less that is needed to do it...

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 11:42:07 PM »
I'd agree with you if... he didn't skip Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea as well. I think he just doesn't want to travel that much really.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »
Europe and NA are his priorities and PCM are well aware of that. Other parts of the world, if it fits in the schedule and it can be organized because promoters can provide what it is needed, I'm sure MK play in Japan or Australia again.

The only country MK has said doesn't want to play is Russia.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »
I'd agree with you if... he didn't skip Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea as well. I think he just doesn't want to travel that much really.

I would agree.  It's also easy for his management when they are going to familiar places and venues with promoters they know and trust.  They can make it happen if they really want to though because they have connections in the industry.  A couple of phonecalls and it's done but that doesn't seem to be the way PC "works."  ::)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »
Why Mark does not want to play in Russia?

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »

This Woburn Abbey interview explains a lot

OfflineThe Privateer

• Guitar George
  • "You watch me and I'll watch thee, I can still work for two men and drink for three"
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 02:29:55 AM »
The Portugal one seems a little strange as he seems to get a good crowd there these days.

He also received a rapturous reception at all the South American gigs in 2001 so it can only be cost or laziness, probably more the latter.

I seem to recall Japanese dates were cancelled on the OES tour due to poor sales.

He has been here in Portugal 3 times and he sold out the arena each time. We also gave him media coverage when he released Tracker 2 years ago. Hopefully next tour he'll be here again, otherwise I'll have to travel to Spain.

I was in Porto this summer and if Mark will play in your beautiful Coliseu once more it would make my whole year. We lived straight across the street of this place and I always thought about Mark playing there in 1996. I think Mark would be blown away by the fact how different this town became now, because from what I've heard it was much of a less polite place than it is now. Bring Mark to Porto! Please! Should we make a petition? :lol

He has never been to Porto unfortunately. Each time the concert was in Lisbon...Probably has to do with it being the capital and a bigger city just aswell (doesn't mean it is prettier). I would start a petition gladly, but I doubt it would change anything. I'll be happy if he comes to Portugal at all.

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed being here in my city!  :)

Pardon me rmarques821, but... how old are you?!

Mark has never been to Porto??? How come is that, when it is even written on the tour list inside the 1996' "Golden Heart" cd... I've watched back then, some videos from his concert in Porto (Coliseum was the chosen venue), but unfortunately I could't attend to it.

And... he played only 3 times in Lisbon?! Again, how come is that possible, when alone I "just" went 6 times to his concerts over there in that super-fantastic city (apart from a couple more ones back in 1992 with the Straits)...

Cheers! 
"This is my investigation - It's not a public inquiry"

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:52 PM »
The Portugal one seems a little strange as he seems to get a good crowd there these days.

He also received a rapturous reception at all the South American gigs in 2001 so it can only be cost or laziness, probably more the latter.

I seem to recall Japanese dates were cancelled on the OES tour due to poor sales.

He has been here in Portugal 3 times and he sold out the arena each time. We also gave him media coverage when he released Tracker 2 years ago. Hopefully next tour he'll be here again, otherwise I'll have to travel to Spain.

I was in Porto this summer and if Mark will play in your beautiful Coliseu once more it would make my whole year. We lived straight across the street of this place and I always thought about Mark playing there in 1996. I think Mark would be blown away by the fact how different this town became now, because from what I've heard it was much of a less polite place than it is now. Bring Mark to Porto! Please! Should we make a petition? :lol

He has never been to Porto unfortunately. Each time the concert was in Lisbon...Probably has to do with it being the capital and a bigger city just aswell (doesn't mean it is prettier). I would start a petition gladly, but I doubt it would change anything. I'll be happy if he comes to Portugal at all.

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed being here in my city!  :)

Pardon me rmarques821, but... how old are you?!

Mark has never been to Porto??? How come is that, when it is even written on the tour list inside the 1996' "Golden Heart" cd... I've watched back then, some videos from his concert in Porto (Coliseum was the chosen venue), but unfortunately I could't attend to it.

And... he played only 3 times in Lisbon?! Again, how come is that possible, when alone I "just" went 6 times to his concerts over there in that super-fantastic city (apart from a couple more ones back in 1992 with the Straits)...

Cheers!

You're right, I completely forgot the Golden Heart tour...He has been to Lisbon lot more times than Porto, hopefully he comes back next tour (I doubt it).

Have a good one!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.