Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DS. Never in latinamerica  (Read 8810 times)

Offlineybot

• Camerado
DS. Never in latinamerica
« on: September 27, 2017, 06:48:38 AM »
Why?
Neither LOG BIA and OES tours
They even did not go to Brazil.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: DS. Never in latinamerica
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »
Why?
Neither LOG BIA and OES tours
They even did not go to Brazil.
Yesterday I found out DS did their first concert in Portugal during the OES tour! Also during some MK tours the county got excluded.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:10 AM »
I think it was due to this formula: money × laziness × popularity. It depends on the artist though... Paul McCartney announced his Brazilian tour which starts in October and he visit all sorts of places (Japan, Latin America to name a few and even Australia, OMG!). But Paul McCartney will get a huge crowd even in Antarctica so he can tour where he or his management would want. Mark, in other hand...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »
The Portugal one seems a little strange as he seems to get a good crowd there these days.

He also received a rapturous reception at all the South American gigs in 2001 so it can only be cost or laziness, probably more the latter.

I seem to recall Japanese dates were cancelled on the OES tour due to poor sales.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »
I'm brazilian and I think I can answer that one. Touring in Brazil these days is doable and profitable but it wasn't that simple back in the day when DS was still active. McCartney and Sinatra did it but they were much more popular than DS over here. Clapton did a gig in Rio in 1990, I was there with my brother, and the infrastructure was precarious compared to what we saw on the OES tour. There was a festival called Hollywood Rock that tried to bring them in 1992 but when the promoters got told the band needed 2 jumbos just for the equipment they quit. I don't blame DS for skipping South America, everything around here was pretty amateur and unprofessional back then. 

That being said, things have changed quite a lot and I don't understand why Mark never came back after the STP tour. All concerts were sold out months in advance and our infrastructure is now just as good as anywhere else's. Not counting on festivals here's a list of bands and solo artists who've dropped by over the last few years: Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, The Police, Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, U2 (argh), BB King, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Roger Waters... John Mayer is arriving in november. Now I ask, why? Why not Brazil, Mark?
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
Hi raposo, I am from Argentina and many bands came all these years
I could understand that in 1985 after our falkland/malvinas war DS were not welcome.
I believe, Mark composed brothers in arms in ocasion of our war in 1982. It could have been a very touchy moment if the came.
But, in OES tour was different.
Eventhough, it was not a surprise they did not come. What was a surprise they did not visit Brazil and Mexico
I cannot remember our situation by 1985 1992 . As you said , now would be sold out many shows.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:25:14 PM »
Hi raposo, I am from Argentina and many bands came all these years
I could understand that in 1985 after our falkland/malvinas war DS were not welcome.
I believe, Mark composed brothers in arms in ocasion of our war in 1982. It could have been a very touchy moment if the came.
But, in OES tour was different.
Eventhough, it was not a surprise they did not come. What was a surprise they did not visit Brazil and Mexico
I cannot remember our situation by 1985 1992 . As you said , now would be sold out many shows.

Holla hermano, huge fan of Messi's here!

I think it was more of a technical and logistical thing than politics or anything else. Mark was against the war, not against Argentina. But I don't know, you might be right!

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
Hi, yes, Mark and most of us are against any war
I guess they decided not to tour any of latinamerican countries to be fair with all of them. Going only to Brazil which is the largest could be a success any time

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
The Portugal one seems a little strange as he seems to get a good crowd there these days.

He also received a rapturous reception at all the South American gigs in 2001 so it can only be cost or laziness, probably more the latter.

I seem to recall Japanese dates were cancelled on the OES tour due to poor sales.

He has been here in Portugal 3 times and he sold out the arena each time. We also gave him media coverage when he released Tracker 2 years ago. Hopefully next tour he'll be here again, otherwise I'll have to travel to Spain.

Also, just a curious thing I've noticed over the years here: 1 in 5 households I've visited has a vinyl copy of either Alchemy or Brothers In Arms.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:18:56 PM by rmarques821 »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:50 PM »

He has been here in Portugal 3 times and he sold out the arena each time. We also gave him media coverage when he released Tracker 2 years ago. Hopefully next tour he'll be here again, otherwise I'll have to travel to Spain.

I was in Porto this summer and if Mark will play in your beautiful Coliseu once more it would make my whole year. We lived straight across the street of this place and I always thought about Mark playing there in 1996. I think Mark would be blown away by the fact how different this town became now, because from what I've heard it was much of a less polite place than it is now. Bring Mark to Porto! Please! Should we make a petition? :lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:42:39 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
Yes, you should make a petition to the Portuguese promoters.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:18 PM »

I was in Porto this summer and if Mark will play in your beautiful Coliseu once more it would make my whole year. We lived straight across the street of this place and I always thought about Mark playing there in 1996. I think Mark would be blown away by the fact how different this town became now, because from what I've heard it was much of a less polite place than it is now. Bring Mark to Porto! Please! Should we make a petition? :lol

He has never been to Porto unfortunately. Each time the concert was in Lisbon...Probably has to do with it being the capital and a bigger city just aswell (doesn't mean it is prettier). I would start a petition gladly, but I doubt it would change anything. I'll be happy if he comes to Portugal at all.

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed being here in my city!  :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 11:22:47 PM »
I think it was due to this formula: money × laziness × popularity. It depends on the artist though... Paul McCartney announced his Brazilian tour which starts in October and he visit all sorts of places (Japan, Latin America to name a few and even Australia, OMG!). But Paul McCartney will get a huge crowd even in Antarctica so he can tour where he or his management would want. Mark, in other hand...
but that was not the case in the BIA days, he could have played in friggin north korea and people would have still come from everyhwere..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 04:11:30 AM »
but that was not the case in the BIA days, he could have played in friggin north korea and people would have still come from everyhwere..

Yeah, but we all know the perfectionist Mark is and trust me on this one, Brazil was not viable. Just imagine flying all that circus over here to do what? Two gigs? Definitely not a good strategy. And on the top of that our currency was insanely weak at that time, inflation was higher than the moon, no promoter would have that kind of risk.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:17:59 PM by ed_raposo »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »

Yeah, but we all know the perfectionist Mark is and trust me on this one, Brazil was not viable. Just imagine flying all that circus over here to do what? Two gigs? Definitely not a good strategy. And on the top of that out currency was insanely weak at that time, inflation was higher than the moon, no promoter would have that kind of risk.
Point taken

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 36 queries.