Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: John Illsley on Tour  (Read 5339 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
John Illsley on Tour
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »
Last night I went to see John Illsley and his band at The Met in Bury, which is a small theatre with a very intimate atmosphere, seating less than 200 people.

It was a really enjoyable evening and it began with Walk of Life.  It was played very energetically, especially Jess, who never stopped dancing the whole evening!   About twelve DS songs were played and about the same number of John's own songs.  The DS songs received the biggest applause with many standing ovations, but John's songs were well received too.

It was a very loud concert, though, and John's voice was difficult to hear on some of the songs, especially as there were two very loud guitars either side of him - Robbie McIntosh and Paul Stacey, who were excellent on many of the solos.

John's band isn't a tribute band and they played the DS songs in their own way, without trying to emulate or copy MK in the slightest, so I was pleased about that.   I sang along (mouthed the words) with all of the songs and at the end Jess pointed to me and waved! 

It would have been nice to have been able to meet the band to say hello, but they weren't in the foyer at the end, even though we waited a while.

All in all, it was a great evening and I thoroughly enjoyed it!    :)

DS songs played:  Walk of Life, Expresso Love, Romeo & Juliet, Sultans, Private Investigations, Calling Elvis, Setting Me Up, Brothers in Arms, MFN, Where Do You Think You're Going, On Every Street, Tunnel of Love.

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
Re: John Illsley on Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
Great Val! In November wel will see him in the Netherlands  :D

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »
I have his Live At The brook dvd and it's true that he does his own versions of the DS stuff, but the best of his show are his own songs.

I don't like Jess at all. I mean, she has a great voice, but his voice didn't fit at all with the DS songs and it's kind of weird, but she's brilliant.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
I have his Live At The brook dvd and it's true that he does his own versions of the DS stuff, but the best of his show are his own songs.

I don't like Jess at all. I mean, she has a great voice, but his voice didn't fit at all with the DS songs and it's kind of weird, but she's brilliant.

Actually, jbaent, I don't like John's voice either and I wasn't tempted to buy any of his albums.  I did enjoy the evening, though, because the atmosphere was great and I must admit to having a tear in my eye when WOL began!   ;)    Jess, howevr has a very strong voice and at times she sounded quite similar to Clare Torry of Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky fame.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
I like John's voice, in his own records, is mellow and quite nice, but in DS songs... we are so used to MK that it's difficult to listen someone else, with that voice, singing the songs. I have all his records and there are many nice songs on them. I strongly recommend you to give them a chance, try spotify ;)

I thought the same about Jess, she would fit so great in Great Gig In The Sky  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
I like John's voice, in his own records, is mellow and quite nice, but in DS songs... we are so used to MK that it's difficult to listen someone else, with that voice, singing the songs. I have all his records and there are many nice songs on them. I strongly recommend you to give them a chance, try spotify ;)

I thought the same about Jess, she would fit so great in Great Gig In The Sky  ;D

The best song from his own albums last night imo was "The Streets of Heaven" which he sang with great feeling.  He said it was dedicated to his wife.   It was probably the quietest of his own songs and he wasn't smothered by loud guitars.   I think you're correct that we always have MK's voice in mind when we listen to other singers performing MK's songs. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »

The best song from his own albums last night imo was "The Streets of Heaven" which he sang with great feeling.  He said it was dedicated to his wife.   It was probably the quietest of his own songs and he wasn't smothered by loud guitars.   I think you're correct that we always have MK's voice in mind when we listen to other singers performing MK's songs.

There lies the problem, especially for foreign tribute bands.  Mark talks most of his songs rather than sings them and so you hear almost his speaking voice.  When you sing you tend to lose your accent.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
I just couldn't resist watching Alchemy this afternoon!   I'm having a wallow in nostalgia!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »

I agree with Jbaent, try his albums, I have them all and there are real great songs. Streets of Heaven is one of my favorites by the way

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
Mine is never told a soul, for a first album, it has beautiful melodies, nice songs and of course great musicians like Alan Clark, Terry Williams, Phil Palmer etc, and of course, MK.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »
I meant the songs Streets of Heaven by the way  :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
OK, I'll try some.  Maybe start with Never Told a Soul!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »

Such a cool performance. Mk's stage obviously less energic, he should add a new breath to his band.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »
Not really disappointed I didn't go.  John is a nice guy but I like him in the band playing bass and backing vocal only.  He does not appear as a band leader IMO and the whole thing is a little disjointed.  The main attraction is Mark's songs, followed by JI (as founder member of DS) and yet on stage everyone else tries to steal the limelight.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »
Not really disappointed I didn't go.  John is a nice guy but I like him in the band playing bass and backing vocal only.  He does not appear as a band leader IMO and the whole thing is a little disjointed.  The main attraction is Mark's songs, followed by JI (as founder member of DS) and yet on stage everyone else tries to steal the limelight.

I, on the other hand, was very glad that I went, because it was really great fun!  The two guitarists were both very loud, however, and sometimes out of tune and the timing wasn't great, but very entertaining without trying to copy MK like tribute bands do.   I missed MKs beautiful, delicate guitar on songs like WDYTYG, though.   They did do a great job of entertaining the audience, though!    :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:54:37 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.